User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    It's admittedly speculation, but I think the real problem is that he either didn't think to melt snow, or that he didn't think he could do it for some reason. In the second CNN transcript link, he says that he had a small styrofoam cup and a jug of water.
    Its been a long time since I saw the show which featured him recounting the entire story and his thought processes over the 14 days, but I recall him describing battling hypothermia and the eerie warm feeling it gives you. He didn't seem stupid or panicked. So, although I can't remember the exact reason he didn't melt the snow, I don't think it was that he didn't know he could.

Anyway, yes to survival kits. A jug of water couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 12-25-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    XXFP

I thought snow was (perhaps conversely) an effective insulator. Meaning that having the car covered with snow wouldn't be a bad thing - less windchill. Like an igloo. But it would make sense to keep the exhaust system clear and room near the windows for fresh air.

One dumb-simple thing I also have in the trunk of my car are some plastic bags. I intentionally chose some brightly colored ones. The double as useful for a variety of tasks. I had to leave my car in deep snow once. My car is white. I marked it with the bags to make it obvious to other cars and the plow truck. Most cases that's overkill but in heavy snowfall my car becomes invisible. Also useful if you run off the road and want to mark your location...of course, warning triangles might be better, but they are heavy and you probably don't have a set of them at home while I'm sure you have some bright colored grocery/newspaper bags.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

I suppose I could use one of the spare jugs of motor oil I have to burn as fuel, or to help start a fire. Wouldn't need a lot. It'd smoke like crazy, so it'd be best to use it as a starter fuel for something cleaner.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.