User Tag List

View Poll Results: Career or friends?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed, Male

6 28.57%
  • Having the most successful and satisfying career you could imagine but having no friends, Male

9 42.86%
  • Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed, Female

0 0%
  • Having the most successful and satisfying career you could imagine but having no friends, Female

6 28.57%
123 Last

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default Career vs. Friends

A while ago I posted a thread where I made you choose between a good sex life or a good love life and today I came up with a new dilemma, thanks to something I read in one of my study books.

I read that some women don't dare to be successfull or have a career, because they think they'll lose all of their friends if they do.

So today I give you the choice:
    • Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed
    OR
    • Having the most successful and satisfying career you could ever imagine, but having no friends

What would you choose if you had no choice?

And I'm talking about your dream career and so many friends you don't know how to maintain all these friendships
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Enneagram

I would choose good friends over good career any day. Unless I had a family to support, then I would pick the job. They shouldn't suffer for my dazzling social life.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Career.

MBTI
    INTJ

If you are forcing me to have a lot of friends- I want the career.

Both are very extreme- Where I've had a great career and no friends due to me not having time to chill with them, now I recognize that the career thing pales in comparison to good friendships, and having the time to maintain them.

Enneagram

Actually, now that I've gone beyond the title and read the OP, I think I would have no choice but to pick a career. A dream job versus more friends than I can handle? Isn't that implying I wouldn't like my social life if it was "more than I can handle"? I thought it was more of a balanced: Ideal Friends vs. Ideal Job, not Incredibly taxing and busy social life vs. ultimate career satisfaction.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed

i dont really care about having extra money enough to sacrifice life for it. i get enough money to live with even if im unemployed, naturally good job and money + life would be ideal. im currently unemployed and i like it more than when i had a job, i had every other week morning shift and every other evening shift. when i had evening shift, naturally i couldnt see people because i was working when when they were free from work/school and at morning shift i was so tired from staying up so late the last week(had to sleep late because i was so tired from not sleeping enough week before and couldnt sleep right after work because i woke up so late) that i couldnt do anything after work. it sucked really much, so i volunteered to quit the job when they announced that they need to let go of some workers.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Both choices are unpleasant but if I had to pick, I'd go with having the most successful and satisfying career you could ever imagine, but having no friends
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    I read that some women don't dare to be successfull or have a career, because they think they'll lose all of their friends if they do.
    Huh. All this time they told me it's because they're going to have a 'family', and their (future) husband is the one who will 'provide' for the 'family'.

As noted above both choices are very unpleasant but I'd rather have a successful (self-driven) career over many friends. I can't handle very many friends.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Career.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

To be honest, either option would be an improvement on Falcarius' current predicament of being chronically unemployed and little in the way of a social life.:sad:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.