User Tag List

View Poll Results: Career or friends?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed, Male

6 28.57%
  • Having the most successful and satisfying career you could imagine but having no friends, Male

9 42.86%
  • Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed, Female

0 0%
  • Having the most successful and satisfying career you could imagine but having no friends, Female

6 28.57%
First 234

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This question was obviously written by an E. Quality over quantity in friends is what I go for. I certainly don't want "tons of friends and a vivid social life" if it means I always have to be with people. I suppose I would go for a reasonable balance of work and life, like I do anyway.

You're never going to have to choose, though. Whoever told you that is completely retarded.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    This question was obviously written by an E. Quality over quantity in friends is what I go for. I certainly don't want "tons of friends and a vivid social life" if it means I always have to be with people. I suppose I would go for a reasonable balance of work and life, like I do anyway.

You're never going to have to choose, though. Whoever told you that is completely retarded.
    Yeah well I also don't "like" to have tons of friends. But that's what happens! lol
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Good friends would support you. Especially if your chronic unemployment is due to circumstances and not you being some lazy slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    I got it from one of my study books, "Personality Psychology, Domains of Knowledge about Human Nature, Fourth Edition" by Randy J. Larsen and David M. Buss:

It's very old, because Karen Horney died in 1952, but I think it still counts for a lot of women. I chose for a career, because a satisfying career will always be satisfying and because I learned very early that you can't depend on your friends because most people are selfish, have a hidden agenda and will ruin you when they gain any benefit from it.
    While fear of being ostracised is a valid human fear, I would hazard the opinion that fear of success, as it relates to women in their careers and female friends, isn't as much a fear anymore as it was in the 1950's.

To shift perspectives, where it might still be prevalent is the belief that women who succeed in their careers are considered "hard-nosed ball busters" and "butch-like bitches" since they don't portray or react in the traditionally expected SFJ femininity models. Emotional coldness is described in male authority figures in a positive light, where they're stoic and pragmatic within the work place. Emotional coldness is described in female authority figures in a negative light, where their decisions are unfeeling and taken personally. The expectations of a patriarch to lead by hard logic and the expectations of a matriarch to lead by nurturing.

As this pertains to the opening post, I choose neither. Don't want more friends than I can handle. Already experience the nagging from existing friends to be more social and spend more time with them. Also don't want the optimum career with no friends. I'd wilt away with no friends and have already tried the empty career route to the degree that once goals had been attained, they weren't really what I wanted or needed. It was only the challenge that made them something to acquire.

i've gotten in business with two friends before.
    in the end i chose the business.
    nothing personal.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Everyone will harvest what he seeds
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Everyone will harvest what he seeds
    And we seed what we get. Or so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A

Well, does money count in this situation?

Because, when thinking this through, I would say career. But, having Fe dominate right now, I couldn't go my whole life without human contact. *scratches head* Yet, I wouldn't want to be forced into human contact every day of my life. I need some time.

This is hard. I guess career, to survive.
    My username, untypeable, is a pun of Untouchable by Taylor Swift. I punned it because of the relationship of my previous inabilities to be typed.
    I don't own my profile pic or avatar (I wish I did ), yada yada yada...

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain
    It often takes a lot of analyzing and introspective consideration to accurately discover what ones type truly is, but its all worth the journey of work required to do so, for you come out wiser about yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Algebra Teacher
    Don't steal any Harvard squirrels!

NPcomplete

Good friends will support you if you are unemployed. However, if you choose to be chronically unemployed and have to depend on them financially, they might get impatient with you.

If I were one of person X's friends and had to feed X everyday because X felt that working was not his cup of tea, I'd get quite mad at some point. But maybe it's just me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'm used to the latter, so I'll pick the latter.

No matter what you do, you have opportunities to make friends. Personally, I can see much more rewarding opportunities with having a career even though you might not have friends. You can always have people think they're your friends.