User Tag List

View Poll Results: Career or friends?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed, Male

6 28.57%
  • Having the most successful and satisfying career you could imagine but having no friends, Male

9 42.86%
  • Having tons of friends and a vivid social life, but being chronically unemployed, Female

0 0%
  • Having the most successful and satisfying career you could imagine but having no friends, Female

6 28.57%
First 1234 Last

NPcomplete

^ Sadness.

I would pick most satisfying career over having no friends. If I have the most satisfying career, it means I would be able to do everything I ever wanted to do which means I would be happy (until I get bored then I'll look for another more satisfying career).

On the other hand, having friends and no career will mean that I'll probably have to depend on someone for money and on friends to keep myself busy. A dependent life is not a life I would want to have.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Difficult. I don't really need to have a great career with much money, and I would rather prefer a rich social life. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to work out well for me with friends anyway, so there would be nothing to loose currently. Looking at my study, my path seems to show more in direction of career probably anyway... although I am still telling myself studying business informatics doesn't have to mean I will end up like those stereotypical business guys which I don't even like that much...

ReflecTcelfeR

I'd rather have a career. Friendship can be nice, but they're still way too confusing and much harder too maintain.

I read that some women don't dare to be successfull or have a career, because they think they'll lose all of their friends if they do.
    Q-Kat, I'm more interested in where you read this from. Seems like something from the dark ages when women were chattels. These are NOT real friends so women might as well lose them.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i dont understand whats fun with money if you got no body to have fun with and enjoy the things you get with money. i mean material things are something you get used to, and once you get used to listening your newest phone or fastest computer, they dont feel anything more special that the old good enough phone and computer. so you need to buy new ones again, yay new computer and phone, then you have to do this again and again, and at some point getting new phone and computer doesent feel like anything more than when you used those old good enough phone and computer. its same with everything else you can get with money. so why bother with the money thing over friends, when in the long run the money gives you nothing, but friends give you everything you really need?

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i dont understand whats fun with money if you got no body to have fun with and enjoy the things you get with money. i mean material things are something you get used to, and once you get used to listening your newest phone or fastest computer, they dont feel anything more special that the old good enough phone and computer. so you need to buy new ones again, yay new computer and phone, then you have to do this again and again, and at some point getting new phone and computer doesent feel like anything more than when you used those old good enough phone and computer. its same with everything else you can get with money. so why bother with the money thing over friends, when in the long run the money gives you nothing, but friends give you everything you really need?

Careers tend to mean a lot more than making money.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

A vivid social life, hmm that sounds like work.
    I'ld choose the career, cause even if you have no friends or girlfriend or anything you still have the money to buy hookers and expensive whiskey.

I dont think woman would answer any differently to this question, except for the hookers and whiskey mayhaps . But woman have proven to become very pragamtic when it comes to securing their life standard, men would in that regards be the more naive ones, imb.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Careers tend to mean a lot more than making money.
    why the heck would you work if you wouldnt do it for the money? i can understand volunteering work to help kids with aids or something like that.

but working just for career is retarded. its like when people start doing one thing for a reason, and they do it long enough, then when the reason gets taken away people tend to continue with what they did simply because they are too stupid to realize that there is no point of doing this anymore. this type of behavior is somewhat understandable when its something complicated and you have constructed the reasons to do something from multiple complicated things. but doing this with a career and sacrificing whats truly important is just pure retarded.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Being chronically unemployed here means not having enough money to...eat and have a shelter. I'd have to live off charity given by my "tons of friends", and it doesn't sound that great, I think they could end up resenting my situation. So I choose career, at least I could try to make friends at the workplace and get my socialization there, and still not starve to death...

Although, if the question was changed with "free time" instead of friends, I would probably not be able to stand a situation where I had absolutely no free time.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Being chronically unemployed here means not having enough money to...eat and have a shelter. I'd have to live off charity given by my "tons of friends", and it doesn't sound that great, I think they could end up resenting my situation. So I choose career, at least I could try to make friends at the workplace and get my socialization there, and still not starve to death...

Although, if the question was changed with "free time" instead of friends, I would probably not be able to stand a situation where I had absolutely no free time.
    Yes like billion of other people are doing it daily at their workplace.

I too find the op's choices to answer not well calibrated against each other
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]