User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Default what core subjecs would you have in school?

Based off of this thread, this thread is for seeing which ones people would include if they were magically in charge of such things.

Edit: goofed up the thread title with a typo, it should be 'subjects" (if no one figured that out.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd probably put Art/Design in there because it seems to be a growing industry. Also, I'd put Math with a focus on roller coaster designing or architecture in general, because I just care to understand it in direct relation to my interest. (Elementary Algebra, for example, is useless unless I can see how I can use it to design safely ridable roller coasters, otherwise I find it meaningless.)

Also, creative writing should be among the English credit requirements, not just electives. I'd like to be graded on my stories, but I honestly don't care about what other people wrote. Literature and so forth should be among other requirements. The only other English that should be required is grammar, because the country (and English-speaking Internet) sorely needs better grammar skills.

Overall, I tend to have a focus on being able to modify the school curricula to fit my individual interests. I've always been sick and tired of taking all these courses that I have little need for. And that's part of the reason I'm not currently going to school.

All in all, I just want to learn the things that will directly allow me to realize my vision more easily.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

English, Maths, Science, History, plus economics and politics. Maybe combine economics and politics and call it 'social science'. I find it ridiculous most people leave school and they not even know what and how things like 'Interest rates' work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

This thread made me think of an idea. I put it in my blog.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

history, history and some more history...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Also, creative writing should be among the English credit requirements, not just electives. I'd like to be graded on my stories, but I honestly don't care about what other people wrote. Literature and so forth should be among other requirements.
    Why do you hate me so? None of those are necessary for future careers, and they're so useless for those of us who get nothing out of it. Let the people who actually want it take it...

Me, I would maybe add a psych course. Or better yet, a careers course, focusing on how to network and do interviews and figure out what early jobs give you the best experience getting the most from school/work and that kind of thing (we have a careers course in my province, but it mainly focuses on "what do you want to be when you grow up" nonsense). That would actually have been really useful.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Why do you hate me so? None of those are necessary for future careers, and they're so useless for those of us who get nothing out of it. Let the people who actually want it take it...
    I probably should have said it like this: I think that if people are interested in something, then they should then only take the classes they're interested in (unless there's an unrelated class that also interests them). Sort of like learning a trade, but on a higher level.

Schools say they make you take all these credits (many of which people won't need if they're not going into that field) so that students are well-rounded. While that may be useful, I think what they're really after is your money, especially in United States colleges and universities. And more specialized schools such as art colleges are far more expensive.

Like with you, who is going into science, I don't really think they should make you take English literature (if you don't want), since you'll probably have no use for it if you're a science major.

Part of the reason I stopped going to college (besides not having money) is because I had to start taking the academic classes that never interested me. And that's how my grades started to suffer. So I'm being a little biased about my assessment.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Science: Since the world today has a lot of science related issues occuring (environmental, health, how lots of things work.), this would be included. It would probably need to focus more on how theories and other ideas are developed, to better help people sort through all the news stories and other information getting thrown out. (nocturnes's thread appeared at the right time for examples of this.)

History: Various types of history would always be included, if only to try and get some "Those who forget history..." types of information to people. History seems like one class to teach writing, critical thinking, and other related skills in, both the try and improve these skills in people, and as a way to squeeze in more history than classroom stuff by itself could teach. (History does seem like something that could be easily spun a certain way, though.)

Statistics: This seems like a useful type of math to teach, again to help people when they are reading or listening to news stories, political arguments, or other such information.

Money: This was mentioned by someone else, and it makes sense to see how things like interest rates work, or things like spending, saving, types of investments, etc.

Math: This one could go either way, on the one hand a lot of math is never actually used, on the other hand some is needed for statistics, science, etc., it overall seems that would work similarly to how it does currently.

Writing/Speaking: Writing would probably be folded into other classes as well, but a separate one for different sorts of writing would always be useful. speaking seems another useful skill to be included.

Something for current day events and government seems useful, although it seems like one that ends up with lots of spin being put on it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9 sp
    Socionics
    SEI Si

Everything, I especially wouldn't cut technical education courses and art courses. Personally I think by cutting programs like technical education and the arts, you are telling the people who have those abilities you aren't valued. Also I think some philosophy classes might be in order, just so people could get a basic grasp on critical thinking and questioning things and not just blindly accepting weak arguments from others, like politicians. Also gym, there are so many over weight people who are plugged into their electronics, make them get out and move, reconnect with themselves. Also it would be cool to teach something really interesting like Brazilian jiu jitsu instead of the same old mainstream sports. Also biology, anything that helps people reconnect to nature, some horticulture classes, business classes, especially sales and marketing since that is what makes the world go round. Nutrition, cooking, meditation, time management
    Likes Reborn Relic liked this post

Damn American Cowboy Reborn Relic's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Elementary School

Same as before, plus some time spent on learning how to interpret information (John Oliver on science style) and a "crafts" similar to art class but with a focus on building things.

Middle School

Same as before, but allow people to switch out English or Art for crafts (same as what I was saying earlier). find time also for "job training" courses, where the school works with actual businesses to show kids the kind of things they could do for a living.

High School

Start giving them job-specific courses that make it clear how what they're doing will help them in what they want to do. Let them drop out of or take fewer courses that don't have much to do with what they want to do. Start letting prospective employers look them over around now, if not earlier, so that kids can have some idea of what they actually can do. Keep all the base courses though, but only as a base and not a strict requirement. Continue teaching an understanding of statistics to them as well.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

--Theodore Roosevelt

“Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.”

--Friedrich Nietzche

I have a Johari again