First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Xander if you want to have a nicer house, a better car and overall comfortable lifestyle then you'll have to climb to get there. Focus on your goals and you'll be fine. But then again I am a J and I hear that most P's just can't get motivate to make changes so my advice is probably crap.
    It's not crap it's just that I place peace and time to enjoy the money I have a lot higher than I do attaining some plateau of money where I'm rich. My father worked hard and all he got was a divorce and a new car every three years. Now he's semi retired and not earning/ working as much he's MUCH happier!

I guess the amount I missed my father when I was growing up contributed to my dislike of "the machine" and my natural disrespect for authority but that's another story.
    Anyway good luck! I have a lot of confidence in you!
    Sooo.... what jobs you got going?

If only there were more intuitives who hadn't had their N crushed under foot I'd be in a better place but at present the SJs rule and they don't like NTs, especially one's without the paperwork to tell them that they aren't talking out of their backsides!
    Just saw this. It's definitely time for a change! Are you an assistant to someone else?
    Well if you count pretty much everyone in the place as be the people I assist, then yes

I'm the problem solver and the guy who gets all the ahem jobs as no one else has the focus, gumption or brains to do it. I do occasionally get to do something enjoyable like database design but most days are filled with small rubbishy jobs...which is why I ended up posting instead of working
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It's not crap it's just that I place peace and time to enjoy the money I have a lot higher than I do attaining some plateau of money where I'm rich. My father worked hard and all he got was a divorce and a new car every three years. Now he's semi retired and not earning/ working as much he's MUCH happier!

I guess the amount I missed my father when I was growing up contributed to my dislike of "the machine" and my natural disrespect for authority but that's another story.

Sooo.... what jobs you got going?

If only there were more intuitives who hadn't had their N crushed under foot I'd be in a better place but at present the SJs rule and they don't like NTs, especially one's without the paperwork to tell them that they aren't talking out of their backsides!

Well if you count pretty much everyone in the place as be the people I assist, then yes

I'm the problem solver and the guy who gets all the ahem jobs as no one else has the focus, gumption or brains to do it. I do occasionally get to do something enjoyable like database design but most days are filled with small rubbishy jobs...which is why I ended up posting instead of working
    So you're in IT? I think you have an advantage to most people in that you have an interest in MBTI. A lot of companies fill jobs based on MBTI. Would you say that you're truly an introvert? What if lets say Limey and I were in the UK and met up with you for a drink and to shoot the shit. I would easily approach you (even though I would be a little nervous at the start) and I believe Limey would be alright as well. Would you be soft spoken and curl up in a little ball or greet us with enthusiasm? I ask this because you are quite outgoing online (and may be irl) and I am thinking that perhaps you are in the wrong job.

My foot is a pita I'll tell ya! I stayed off of it as much as possible for three and a half months and gained 30 pounds! :eek: So I am not doing that anymore. It's somewhat better but still aches. I am off to buy some new trainers today. Brooks I hear are quite good.

My injury flared up after running on the treadmill. I am now just taking indoor cycling classes and free weight training at home. So the cycling takes care of the bum, hips, thighs and legs and the free weights take care of my upper body. All that mixed with lunges and squats and I should be back in shape within a few more months. NO more running that's for sure!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Xander, maybe it's because I'm a fellow 9, but I'm wondering, do you want to change jobs or do you just think you should for external reasons? It sounds like it's not demanding, it offers some variety and trouble-shooting opportunities. If you don't just need more money, why make a move?

Seems like you could maybe ask for a raise or try to pick up some kind of work on the side if you need a little more cash.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So you're in IT? I think you have an advantage to most people in that you have an interest in MBTI. A lot of companies fill jobs based on MBTI. Would you say that you're truly an introvert? What if lets say Limey and I were in the UK and met up with you for a drink and to shoot the shit. I would easily approach you (even though I would be a little nervous at the start) and I believe Limey would be alright as well. Would you be soft spoken and curl up in a little ball or greet us with enthusiasm? I ask this because you are quite outgoing online (and may be irl) and I am thinking that perhaps you are in the wrong job.
    Errm you know when you get one of those dogs that's really excited to see you but is waiting for permission to jump up and lick you.... well you're getting there with that picture... Less hair, smaller ears and my nose is rarely wet

As for the wrong job, I'm in admin. The only IT I see is when they need a problem solving like a printer won't print or something.

I used to be in sales for a computer company and I wanted to get away from such a front line position. I mean I liked chatting to people, just not so many and not so quickly. I like the relaxed conversations with jokes and stuff. I kept getting told off for taking too long. Mind you I never had a complaint from a customer. Doubly so when I worked on the sales counter as opposed to the phones.

I'd just like a job with some interest in it. We make tools for uPVC windows.
    My foot is a pita I'll tell ya! I stayed off of it as much as possible for three and a half months and gained 30 pounds! :eek: So I am not doing that anymore. It's somewhat better but still aches. I am off to buy some new trainers today. Brooks I hear are quite good.

My injury flared up after running on the treadmill. I am now just taking indoor cycling classes and free weight training at home. So the cycling takes care of the bum, hips, thighs and legs and the free weights take care of my upper body. All that mixed with lunges and squats and I should be back in shape within a few more months. NO more running that's for sure!
    Gout?

Do you drink too much perhaps? My SO's mother has that but she doesn't drink much at all and still got told to cut down! I forget the rest of the advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Xander, maybe it's because I'm a fellow 9, but I'm wondering, do you want to change jobs or do you just think you should for external reasons? It sounds like it's not demanding, it offers some variety and trouble-shooting opportunities. If you don't just need more money, why make a move?

Seems like you could maybe ask for a raise or try to pick up some kind of work on the side if you need a little more cash.
    I'd like a little respect for once. That'd be nice. More money is nice but usually they expect you to prostrate yourself for good money and I'm so not about to do that!

I just want to have a job where I feel more settled so I don't have to think about if I should be jumping ship or not. My peace keeps getting interrupted!

You know I don't want kids but I so like the idea of being a house husband. At least I'd control the environment more that way instead of being shoved in an open office with the newbies and getting lorded over by the new man of the year :steam:

I soo need to meet an engineer I like so I don't end up hating the entire breed on contact!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'd like a little respect for once. That'd be nice. More money is nice but usually they expect you to prostrate yourself for good money and I'm so not about to do that!

I just want to have a job where I feel more settled so I don't have to think about if I should be jumping ship or not. My peace keeps getting interrupted!

You know I don't want kids but I so like the idea of being a house husband. At least I'd control the environment more that way instead of being shoved in an open office with the newbies and getting lorded over by the new man of the year :steam:

I soo need to meet an engineer I like so I don't end up hating the entire breed on contact!
    Heh. The only ones I've known have trained as engineers, but dropped out of the field to do other things, even then some of them were sort of arrogant and wonky, so I guess I'm not much help there.

Being disrespected and having one's peace disrupted are good reasons for a 9 to make a move. Or they would be for me. I don't tolerate either of those well. I don't know how to help motivate. If it was me, I'd eventually walk out in a huff and never go back and then I'd have to flounder around until I found something else, but that's not a good strategy, I suppose.

Maybe the house husband thing would work well for a NT 9, but I find it hard to force myself to accomplish things without hard deadlines and the lack of a job, etc forcing me out of the house, I tend to stay in and become isolated. Neither is very good for my morale.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Errm you know when you get one of those dogs that's really excited to see you but is waiting for permission to jump up and lick you.... well you're getting there with that picture... Less hair, smaller ears and my nose is rarely wet
    Well that's an interesting and oddly adorable description of yourself.
    As for the wrong job, I'm in admin. The only IT I see is when they need a problem solving like a printer won't print or something.
    You're an administrator who fixes printers?
    I used to be in sales for a computer company and I wanted to get away from such a front line position. I mean I liked chatting to people, just not so many and not so quickly. I like the relaxed conversations with jokes and stuff. I kept getting told off for taking too long. Mind you I never had a complaint from a customer. Doubly so when I worked on the sales counter as opposed to the phones.
    Sales can be very stressful and someone is usually breathing down your neck to steal your job. You also need to be very full of shit to make a lot of money.
    I'd just like a job with some interest in it. We make tools for uPVC windows.
    Sounds like it's time for a change.
    Gout?
    wtf? No way. Isn't that for old people? Xander! I have what's called Plantar fasciitis.
    Do you drink too much perhaps? My SO's mother has that but she doesn't drink much at all and still got told to cut down! I forget the rest of the advice.
    I never drink. Once in a blue moon. It's not that I don't like it, I just need to focus a lot and never seem to get around to it.
    Again, time for a change. You have to look out for you.
    Really? Are you sure about that? You're still young, you may change your mind. You have a g/f right?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Heh. The only ones I've known have trained as engineers, but dropped out of the field to do other things, even then some of them were sort of arrogant and wonky, so I guess I'm not much help there.
    It's the training. You can be thick and be an engineer. It's like they are pissed they're not doctors or something and so try to overstate their job. Only the REALLY good engineers are actually worth their weight. That and the experienced ones. Time served I think it's called.
    Being disrespected and having one's peace disrupted are good reasons for a 9 to make a move. Or they would be for me. I don't tolerate either of those well. I don't know how to help motivate. If it was me, I'd eventually walk out in a huff and never go back and then I'd have to flounder around until I found something else, but that's not a good strategy, I suppose.
    Did you work/ do you work then? I'm not questioning your wisdom, just being nosey

The solution does appeal but I'm an NT. I rarely get that peeved and if I did I'd be tempted to level the place never mind walk out!! I lack the fire and temperance that you seem to posses. I'll get peeved but then mostly calm down and return to "meh" (that so needs to be accepted as the universal word for the most common state of an NT ).
    Maybe the house husband thing would work well for a NT 9, but I find it hard to force myself to accomplish things without hard deadlines and the lack of a job, etc forcing me out of the house, I tend to stay in and become isolated. Neither is very good for my morale.
    Oh well I'm a P who's been brought up by Js. Those soft boundary timelines are my bread and butter
    Well that's an interesting and oddly adorable description of yourself.
    Well upon second thought we're talking two British introverted males in one place. In accordance with machoism and the introverted traditions of our country you would get a warm welcome and an outstretched hand... followed by a cup of tea.
    You're an administrator who fixes printers?
    Yup. Oh and does databases and purchasing and CAD and most presentation work including photos etc.

I'm a swiss army knife
    Sales can be very stressful and someone is usually breathing down your neck to steal your job. You also need to be very full of shit to make a lot of money.
    I actually did it, liked it and did it well cause I wanted what I was selling and I was honest. Of course this didn't make me totally popular with management but as they were paying minimum wage I didn't care.
    Sounds like it's time for a change.
    I know. It's just the whole choice of what, where, how and who with that confuses and scares the ahem out of me!
    wtf? No way. Isn't that for old people? Xander! I have what's called Plantar fasciitis.
    I believe this is covered in the fine print of my advice contract. Something about no attention to details. I mean you want me to both remember how old you are and the age at which gout affects people? Talk about unreasonable!
    I never drink. Once in a blue moon. It's not that I don't like it, I just need to focus a lot and never seem to get around to it.
    Me neither though it's more because I'd rather get hyper than more relaxed. I can't get much more relaxed! I'd drop off!!
    You have to look out for you.
    That's something I'm not skilled at really but always accuse myself of just for good measure
    Really? Are you sure about that? You're still young, you may change your mind. You have a g/f right?
    So I'm young to you but you're not old? Me thinks either your eyes need checking or you're in denial

Nope don't want kids. I like my free time exactly where it is thank you. I've already enough hobbies to last until my 53rd childhood so I don't see the point of messing all that up to try and imprint my beliefs on an impressionable mind (not that I'm accusing it's just that's the only reason I can see to have one, there are others no doubt, I just can't see them).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Did you work/ do you work then? I'm not questioning your wisdom, just being nosey
    I did. My city is the home of one of the better undergrad engineering schools in the US, so I'm over-exposed to people who have trained as engineers. My first boss was educated at that school, but had bought the carpet cleaning company that he worked at while going to school after he graduated. He designed and built most of his carpet cleaning equipment in his basement. Very odd duck.

His brother went to the same school. Last I heard he was a piano tuner. Went to church with another of the graduates, and he had become a slum lord. Two of the guys I hung out with in my single days were students then, but are now pastors with engineering degrees. Both nice guys. I had begun to ponder pursuing one of them before I went off to school and met Don. He was the sound guy for a local Christian rock band.

How's that for TMI?
    ~ John Rogers

Eh... what kind of problems are you resolving? I have several "issues" lately.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I did. My city is the home of one of the better undergrad engineering schools in the US, so I'm over-exposed to people who have trained as engineers. My first boss was educated at that school, but had bought the carpet cleaning company that he worked at while going to school after he graduated. He designed and built most of his carpet cleaning equipment in his basement. Very odd duck.

His brother went to the same school. Last I heard he was a piano tuner. Went to church with another of the graduates, and he had become a slum lord. Two of the guys I hung out with in my single days were students then, but are now pastors with engineering degrees. Both nice guys. I had begun to ponder pursuing one of them before I went off to school and met Don. He was the sound guy for a local Christian rock band.

How's that for TMI?
    I'd ask "and then what happened" but firstly it'd be rude and secondly it'd be quite a glitch in this thread. Definitely not TMI more like TMQ

Just let me get one thing right though... it's the sound guy for Christian rock bands as opposed to the lead singer for mainstream bands? Interesting.