User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Past Vs Present .. Perceptions of others

I am curious as to your past and present perceptions of others? (ie - SJ, SP, NT and NF)

I've never really had any gripe with SP's and SJ's. NT's i have learned, they are emotional beings, just not in the same way as i. NF's though, well i used to struggle with those types, i am not sure why, maybe i do.

Something i have come to realise of late though is that people are people, how boring it would be to live a life without the variety of people, personalities and experiences.

I have come to appreciate it greatly on this site and even made a few NF friends. I'm glad i found you guys.

MBTI
    INTJ

I find that we're more alike than we're not.

Knowledge is definitely the key.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

not sure, but when I first got into mbti I figured everyone who was perceptive was an N. Thought a girl I knew a few years ago was INFP because she could see through to my insecure BS. She was really an ISFP. I didn't think Feelers had such a bad rep in general. Didn't know nuthin' about functions.

I'm more interested in thinking about how my personality would be had I never discovered and researched mbti...it does have some altering effect when you become aware of it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    I'm more interested in thinking about how my personality would be had I never discovered and researched mbti...it does have some altering effect when you become aware of it.
    Do you believe you would of come to this point naturally had you not known about types and functions etc?

Has this altering effect been mainly positive for yourself?

What are the possible pitfalls about knowing your type? Are there any?

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

I never realised just how horrible so many T's could be at identifying emotions. It never even crossed my mind before, since it was evident to me that everyone has emotions. You can read it all on their face. I never even thought that people could not notice something so obvious, especially about themselves. So yeah, now I know about the freaks :P
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I had the problem that I felt lonely and different in my environment for all my life. This no good thing, because it can lead you to thinking to much about yourself and loose the perception of other people out of your focus. I am a generally happy nature and had not many problems making friends in life, but I seldom felt that I really belong and many many things I was worrieing about or thinking about, many other people didnt intrest. Another problem of mine is that I am a very sensitive nature and that I pay attention to a lot of detail in human interaction. I often thought I am whacko or something, because everyone seemed to not do what I do and well... long downward spiral.

MBTI is a bit like alcoholics anonymous, it helped me to have a graspable possibility for what could be different with me. Namly the perception of the world, that while people generally say "you cant buy a car if you have no money", I was always more intrested into the void that is between the dots "car" and "money" and ignored the tactile meaning the sentence wants to convey. I do not believe that mbti is the ultimate answer to my problems, I am still convinced that I am whacko to a large degree, but it gave me hold where before was just freefall.

That again enabled me to have an open eye for other people again and when I got to know my girlfriend, who is equally perceptive about the world, I found the deepest hold I could get. Nowadays I have no negatory image of any type, I see them all for their abilities or the things they want and whats important to them (except for intps, still dont like them ).

The real result that came to me thru mbti is that I ask today almost never nomore the question "Why do you think so ?" or "Why do you do that ?". It has become more easy for me to see people's motivations and why they do the things they do and it has become more easy for me to tolerate them because I can see them in the big picture of what it will bring them or what motivated it.

Life almost got boring...
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My present perceptions of others in contrast to my past is basically: Wow, you're just different, and here I thought there was something wrong with you. And in actuality, more often: wow, I'm just different, and here I thought there was just something wrong with me.

It has been a revelation.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In the past the MBTI categories made more sense to me. Now I see that not only do they overlap, but intertwine. I don't expect anything in particular from anyone based on their type label. My filters are open without that layer of expectation to influence them.

When I was young I thought it was possible to understand people and was all jazzed up to spend the years attempting it. I'm not so certain anymore. The element of randomness and complexity is just too much. I used to think good intentions or being "nice" kept people mostly from hurting each other, but that is definitely not the case. Maybe when people subtract fear from that equation it can.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Before I found MBTI I always felt very different and excluded from the social group. I had learned to slide by on the edges, recognized most people were "stupid, mean, judgmental, and close minded" I had learned to ignore what other people thought of me as I couldnt change it and I was fairly happy.

When I first took an MBTI test-about ten years ago-and saw enfp-I realized that was the little silly happy loving kid I had tried so hard to hide away. It was the part of me that was imaginative, idealistic, zany and bizzare. It was the me that had to be hidden from the world.

The very first day I took the MBTI test, I made my friend shawn take it-I realized that my friend Shawn-was an INTJ-she wasnt mean or cold or robotic-she was an INTJ. I realized she needed me to not try and think with her, but instead to love her and care for her. "Hmmm, Ah-ha!" then I just smiled and then she smiled-and after that I just dumped Fi at her as she needed it so much.

So MBTI allowed me to forgive myself for not being "logical", allowed me to recognize I was not "stupid". MBTI also forced me to re-evaluate all of the "stupid, mean, judgmental, and close minded" people as being very different from me and not being any of the things i thought they were before.. As I encountered different people over the years, I learned to not trust my initial response but to reconsider them in the context of who they are

I use sort of subconsciously use type as a sliding scale so that I understand what to expect behaviorally from others and what is reasonable for me to judge them on. I would do this even without type-by judging my Fi impressions of each individual-but type allows some Te structure as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Do you believe you would of come to this point naturally had you not known about types and functions etc?

Has this altering effect been mainly positive for yourself?

What are the possible pitfalls about knowing your type? Are there any?
    So the thing is, I don't think I would've come to this point without mbti. Well, I'm unsure. Because I got into mbti when I was 18, my brain was and still is maturing and expanding. In nearly three years I feel like I've matured a pretty noticeable amount.

Just a few years ago, I had a broken kind of confidence and crap for self-esteem. I thought everyone dealt with emotions the same way. I figured it was just my low confidence that estranged the way I saw other people deal with things. Before I knew of types and functions, I'd sometimes look at people who would be typed opposites of me (ESTJs, ISTPs, etc.) as really alien and harsh individuals who were kind of intimidating, I figured they had a similar mental processor as me but just repressed it. Which was a stupid way to see others.

So, the effect has been mainly positive. Pros being wider understanding by identifying core thinking/communicative differences. I've also built on weaknesses, figured out I can better communicate with others if I type them roughly. Not always but it helps.

Cons are just thinking about this too much. I mean, I registered on a message board about typology...