MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Of course it does.
    It could've taken place at any time of the year. Hell, at the end they sing "Auld Lang Syne", which is far more traditionally associated with New Year.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

BTW, I can't believe no one's mentioned not only one of the greatest Xmas movies of all time, but one of the greatest movies of all time!

Die Hard

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    It could've taken place at any time of the year. Hell, at the end they sing "Auld Lang Syne", which is far more traditionally associated with New Year.
    I guess cuz they sing it by a Christmas tree? But yeah, it's not particularly Christmassy as a movie in general.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I guess cuz they sing it by a Christmas tree? But yeah, it's not particularly Christmassy as a movie in general.
    Seems I'm not the only one that thinks this!

There are certain films that will forever be associated with the Christmas holiday, films that will be aired and re-aired innumerable times between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day, and films that parents often long to share with their children as a Yuletide rite of passage. The original Miracle on 34th Street is one -- the ultimate make-you-believe-in-Santa-Claus movie. The hilarious and amazingly still-relatable A Christmas Story is another. And, of course, the quintessential Jimmy Stewart film, It’s a Wonderful Life. That’s the one that always stops me cold. It’s not a Christmas movie.

Sure, a major turning point in the film’s plot takes place on Christmas Eve, but the entire story takes place over decades of the main character’s life. Does one scene set during a holiday make it a holiday film? By that logic, E.T., the Extra-Terrestrial would be a Halloween movie. And yes, I will admit that It’s a Wonderful Life has a life-affirming, feel-good ending and the same kind of message about love and self-sacrifice that many holiday films share. But so does Finding Nemo -- and no one calls that a Christmas movie.

Most importantly, though, It’s a Wonderful Life is not about Christmas. Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Story are about Christmas. So are Elf, The Polar Express, The Santa Clause, Prancer, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. It’s a Wonderful Life is about a suicidal man wrestling with his decision on whether or not to jump off a bridge. It may be a better movie than many of the ones mentioned above, but a Christmas movie? Nah.

figsfiggyfigs

OO OO OO

Bridget Jones Diary... I know, its not really a Christmas movie, but I loves it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

i agree with "its a wonderful life" not necessarily being a Christmas movie..just a movie that takes place at Christmas time. It took me years to finally watch that movie but when i finally did it blew me away and to this day is one of my all time favorite movies. I watch it every Christmas eve to celebrate the first time i watched it.
    "You can't take a picture of this...it's already gone."

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?”
    -Mark Twain

What is a christmas movie?

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I used to wonder why It’s A Wonderful Life was considered a Christmas movie as well- but the ‘one scene’ with a Christmas tree isn’t just one of the pivotal scenes, it’s the resolution. And there’s a family-coming-together-at-Christmas, goodwill-to-all-during-the-holidays element to it that is an essential part of the ‘highs’ (in contrast to the ‘lows’) of George’s life.

I never understood why It's a Wonderful Life was considered such a quintessential Xmas film.

It barely has anything to do with the holiday!

While Michael Caine is my favorite Scrooge, MacGuffin makes a pretty good one too.

Although I agree about Die Hard, it is a fantastic Christmas movie.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    While Michael Caine is my favorite Scrooge, MacGuffin makes a pretty good one too.

Although I agree about Die Hard, it is a fantastic Christmas movie.
    I am not Scrooge, I am Bad Santa.

MBTI
    ----

THE REF

fav bit - kevin spacey's character says:

"You know what I'm going to get you next Christmas, Mom? A big wooden cross, so that every time you feel unappreciated for your sacrifices, you can climb on up and nail yourself to it."