User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Epiphany

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFYkjju4Y8"]Borat - Real Man[/YOUTUBE]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    wow I never thought of that. Im a horrible specimen
    I bet you never thought of screaming about names on gift tags or slapping your woman around over sandwiches, either.

Dammit, you're not a REAL MAN!!!

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I bet you never thought of screaming about names on gift tags or slapping your woman around over sandwiches, either.

Dammit, you're not a REAL MAN!!!
    *cries like a manchild*

There's always been strong women and weak men all through history. I dont think that the movements of the 60's or 70's changed much more than what was needed, equal rights.

Do I think that the rethoric and demands the feminists came with and still demands is too much? Yes indeed. But thats a different topic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

*cries like a manchild*

There's always been strong women and weak men all through history. I dont think that the movements of the 60's or 70's changed much more than what was needed, equal rights.

Do I think that the rethoric and demands the feminists came with and still demands is too much? Yes indeed. But thats a different topic.
    I think a "real man" is rational and level-headed. My ideal of manhood has nothing to do with what I think the OP is getting at. I have no such demands, and in truth, due to life experience, would rather avoid it.

Also, you should start a thread. I would be interested in this topic.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by aprilfool View Post
    Manly Men, who like Women.....
    Somewhere in a blend of Russel Crowe, Mike Holmes and Chef Ramsey.
    A Protector, A Builder and A Chef.
    Not a tall order....
    I never went no where but I agree. We're a rarer and rarer breed these days.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    When I was younger I was more specific about what an ideal relationship would be like. Looking back I think that idealism as part of not being ready for a relationship. It is a great way to keep it at arms' length at a time in life where there is inner conflict of wanting it, but not entirely.

There are wonderful men in the world. Being able to find someone has a lot to do with knowing what matters and what doesn't. One of my favorite shows, Seinfeld, is a perfect example of what not to do. People were rejected for the most minuscule, detailed, external, useless reasons. That also is something to do when not ready or deeply interested in a relationship. There are things that matter, and might even be non-negotiable, but they are more like principles rather than specific applications of that principle. Long-term relationships require a tremendous amount of flexibility, but that is part of what makes it interesting. "Don't sweat the small stuff" is important, be patient with the kind of important conflicts, and try to figure out ahead of time the non-negotiables, but keep them to a minimum and find ways even there to re-contextual or something to make it work as well. The most basic type of non-negotiable is that both people need to have a desire to be together.
    +1. Much wisdom in this post.

(Been there, done that --->) Unchecked idealism is the enemy of contentedness in a relationship. I think it's rather immature and near-sighted. Something to try to mature beyond.

I don't really know what the OP means by "real man", perhaps it was just off the cuff. Still, it's kind of dangerous thinking. You can't really lay blame at the feet of an entire gender/generation (presumably raised by women, incidentally) for carving out their own evolving space in the world alongside an evolving womanhood. Men and women's roles and attitudes are a manifestation of the dance between the two.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I think Rambo is an introvert for sure, but I'm not sure about Rocky. He broods, but I think it's just because he's poor. Look at how outgoing he is with Adrian, how much he urges her brother to be a nicer guy, how much of a bleeding heart he is with his son, how he just wanders around the streets and rambles with strangers (or even how the first movie opened, where he's kind of trying to mentor some kid he came by).
    Even with that, I think ESFP is one of the most extroverted forms of humanity out there.

But, back on topic, Rocky's "all man" by the cultural definition.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, you're going to have to paint with a more careful brush. Feminism has gone through various revamps since the shrill extreme version of the 70's that you seem to be mainly referring to, and I'd even call those remnants of early feminism to be dinosaurs in some way. It's not how the average woman seems to incorporate feminist ideals in 2nd or 3rd wave (or whatever) -- she's not rebelling against being a mother or wife, for example, if she values those things, but she IS redefining them in more egalitarian fashion.

However, I'm still willing to cut even the first wave feminists some slack, considering the sort of cultural mentality they were up against. I mean, let us please be realistic: When you're fighting your way through some of the worst social jungle out there and have no real voice in the culture except for the narrow one set aside for you by the men, only the scrappiest, nastiest, fiercest, most relentless women had a chance to make any sort of headway. It was a war, and they were the guerilla warriors of their time. If they hadn't existed, it's plausible the more moderate feminists would have never had an opportunity to be; unfortunately, the battle moved into those more nuanced and holistic realms and the shockline troops lost their purpose, so now they just seem to be holdovers. It's almost like the Japanese troops that continued to fight WWII on irrelevant and isolated tropical islands for decades after the war had actually ended, because they didn't realize everyone else had moved on.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think men are less arrogant than women are and therefore less apt to falsely label or advertise themselves as a real man.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    So we see that the problem lies with your awareness. If you want to take this any further, I suggest you give an example of where you think I should have taken a stand and did not.
    I have no such examples. From my perspective this conversation may as well be over, unless you would prefer to continue it.