User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Lol. Were you neg repped a lot athenian?
    Not exactly. I neg repped a couple of people while it was still anonymous. I don't feel I did it as a personal attack so much as that back then, I still viewed the rep system as a way of assessing the quality of posts I encountered rather than a way of assessing a person. I had thought of it as being sort of like an "anonymous suggestions box," in other words.

When the administrators changed it, they left the previous rep comments in place, meaning you could now see who gave rep in the past, back before the comment authors were made visible. I didn't think that was fair... I likened it to an Ex Post Facto law.

Note that I'm not really all that ashamed of what I said personally, so much as I'm irritated that they did it that way, implying it would be anonymous and then "pulling the rug out from underneath," so to speak.

Their excuse was that they had referred to it as a "test," earlier, and that I should have inferred from the fact that they were still determining how they wanted to use it, that anonymous comments could have author names revealed. Of course, in the end, it's their board, so they don't really have to justify themselves to anyone but themselves and their supporters.

That's why I cringe every time I think about this.

MBTI
    INFP

But if it was merely a critique of someone's post, why would you be so fearful of the author being disclosed? Wouldn't you feel proud of your comment?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

But if it was merely a critique of someone's post, why would you be so fearful of the author being disclosed? Wouldn't you feel proud of your comment?
    Even though my comments seemed justified to me, I now felt the need to justify them to other people, and that made me apprehensive because I knew so many of them viewed the rep system differently, and would look down on me for such negativity.

Under an anonymous system, I would probably assign rep points in a sort of systematic (and somewhat critical/exacting) manner based on quality, because this won't affect how I'm perceived by the other people involved. But now that they do, I'm inclined to judge the way I assign them in a manner that takes that into account, avoids being negative, and isn't as serious.

In other words, I make choices differently if my actions affect people's perception of me than if they only affect my perception of myself. Does that make sense?

MBTI
    INFP

Why don't you revert back to the way you used to assign reputation? Do you not want to run the risk of plummeting out of the favor of others? Who cares how they feel.. it certainly didn't matter when it was anonymous, according to what you've just said.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Why don't you revert back to the way you used to assign reputation? Do you not want to run the risk of plummeting out of the favor of others? Who cares how they feel.. it certainly didn't matter when it was anonymous, according to what you've just said.
    I have to admit that's part of it. My criterion for making judgments on posts was simpler back then... give positive rep to posts I felt increased the overall quality of the forum, and give negative rep to posts I felt detracted. I guess their feelings didn't seem as important as the overall good of the forum back when their feelings about my comment wouldn't affect their perception of me. Does that make sense?

I mean, I make decisions differently when I'm trying to deal with other people on a personal level (like, if my name is visible and it affects other people's perception of me) than when I'm not (my name won't be placed out, and it will only affect my perception of myself), and it freaked me out to have my internal idea of what was best affect people's perceptions of me, because that wasn't the image I wanted to project. It's sort of feels like having someone come in on you while you're taking a shower, or realizing they put a camera in your bathroom and recorded you.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I love my rep givers. They're the hottest, most awesome people ever. You get +10 to sexiness for giving me positive rep.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I love my rep givers.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    When the administrators changed it, they left the previous rep comments in place, meaning you could now see who gave rep in the past, back before the comment authors were made visible. I didn't think that was fair... I likened it to an Ex Post Facto law.
    We left them in place because that's what the PEOPLE decided.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

heart on fire

The important issue there seems to be the changing of the rules after they had been established, rather than the merit of the comments.

It would be like voting anonymously and then later having it made public just because the majority in the country decided on it. Now your employer wants you to answer for voting for the liberal.

Or maybe like changing clothes in a store changing room, knowing you are being filmed but also knowing that there is a understanding that the films will be private, except later the law changes and stores can sell videos of you online and now people you know are calling and making remarks about them.

I can understand her view in this.

Whether or not her remarks were worthy of her pride or not is irrelevant to the situation in my view. The only valid part is that she had an understanding of being anonymous in making her comments when she did and had not been given a reason to assume they would be made public at a future date, if I am understanding the situation properly.

MBTI
    INFP

I was particularly interested in athenian's p.o.v. because I find it cowardly to give negative feedback anonymously, and I have no sympathy for those who feel betrayed by the change in reputation procedure.

heart on fire

I was particularly interested in athenian's p.o.v. because I find it cowardly to give negative feedback anonymously, and I have no sympathy for those who feel betrayed by the change in reputation procedure.
    I say that any feeling that it was "cowardly" that's sort of a value judgment that is subjective. Someone else might feel that an anonymous system of feedback without reprecussions is a good way to get more honesty. Whether I have "sympathy" or not for them making anonymous negative comments has no bearing on my ability to see that changing the rules after the fact is unfair at the core.

Any feelings that I may have about it being cowardly to post neg rep anonymously or any lack of sympathy I have may for such persons cannot affect the facts of the rules at the time those comments were posted. The facts seem to be that she had an expectation that the comments were to be anonymous when made.

Belief either way about it being cowardly or whatever to post anonymous negative comments is totally irrelevant to the topic of whether or not it is fair to change the rules after the fact and make something that was previously thought to be anonymous no longer so.