User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Canadian Universities?

I am very close to having my associate's degree. I live in the United States. I would like some Canadian members of this board to give me some insight into Canadian Uni's. I will be applying very soon.. My dad was born and raised in Alberta, and he's taking me there this summer. I think I would really like to live in Canada. I have lived all over America, and it's okay, but Canada beckons to me.. I see it as an opportunity to move out and test my independence. How easy is it to support oneself in Canada (living in an apt.. for example)? How is the job market?

No fluff plz.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Well Dana, this may be a long answer it may not be, but let's see... First of all what university you chose will depend on what you are looking to get into and how reputable you want the school to be in your chosen field. Another thing you may want to keep in mind is really where you want to live; every city with a university in this country comes with it's own individual culture. Job Market also varies from city to city with Calgary, the place you're visiting, being one of the top growth cities currently - I'm waiting for the bust to come. So I guess short answer is what I have so far unless you can provide more info.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

I don't have very impressive academic marks, so we can weed out the prestigious Uni's. I don't speak French. I want to live in a safe city.. I would like to be amidst Berkeley-esque culture. My field is currently math..

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I've never been to Berkeley and marks under 70 will be a problem anywhere you go. Safe is relative less to city and more to part of said city.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Sorry.. he's from Banff, not Calgary. If by 70 you mean C, I definitely do not get C's or below C's. Just not a 4.0. Hmm how about a different angle. What cities do you like? Where would a young spirit go? I don't think I will remain studying maths.. it's just too boring. I don't know what I'm going to do. My grandfather tells me I don't have to have it all figured out right now, but I have to at least know what I want to do, don't I? Sigh..

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Hmmm... I've lived or stayed in Toronto, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vernon, and Victoria. Hamilton is the only one I'd only go to for family visits while the others I've had some fun in. Toronto, Kitchener, and Calgary I have lived in for more than 3 months though with Calgary being the one I'm living in right now.

It will be tough to get into most places with only Bs, but you might be able to swing it.

Hey nightning, mind giving her some clues on Vancouver since I at least hear it's a decent city in some parts.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

List of Canadian Universities

Here's a link to a list of them all, each one has a link to their own websites. I figure it might be a better resource for you.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Hey nightning, mind giving her some clues on Vancouver since I at least hear it's a decent city in some parts.
    Nightning doesn't mind... what sort of info are you looking for really?

4 universities (not university-colleges) in BC.

University of BC (UBC) - City of Vancouver, Greater Vancouver
    Simon Fraser University (SFU) - City of Burnaby, Greater Vancouver
    University of Victoria (UVic) - Victoria, Vancouver Island
    University of Northern BC (UNBC) - Prince George

Weather conditions
    Vancouver: One of the mildest cities in Canada. Winter temp: -4C (rarely) to 10C (approx?), rainy & damp. Infrequent snow days. Summer temp: 20s-30s C (mid 30s is very rare), sunny.

Victoria: Similar as Vancouver, however expect more wind.

Prince George: Further up north, colder, with more snow. Think of it as Calgary with more precipitation.

Admissions:
    Are you planning on entering as a first-year (freshman)? I'm less familiar with admission for adult applicants, but for highschool students competition into UBC, SFU and in some ways UVic is tough.

UBC is the most competitive... average GPA for science currently is at 90%.
    SFU you're looking at 85%
    Not sure for the exact numbers for UVic or UNBC. However grades requirements for UNBC is lower... you should check the university website for admission averages.

The schools look at very little but grades in making admission decisions.

Do you have previous credits from college or something that can be transfered over? Check with the specific university to see if that's possible. It's easier to get in as a transfer student.

Housing
    Housing/rent etc around Greater Vancouver is nightmarishly expensive. You should keep that in mind... Access to a car is a must for UNBC. That adds up to the cost.

I recommend you go through each of the schools and look specifically into their science in particular math department. What's the purpose of this degree anyways? That could affect your school choice.

If MJ_ would be kind enough to give her opinions on schools around the Maritimes....

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I am very close to having my associate's degree. I live in the United States. I would like some Canadian members of this board to give me some insight into Canadian Uni's. I will be applying very soon.. My dad was born and raised in Alberta, and he's taking me there this summer. I think I would really like to live in Canada. I have lived all over America, and it's okay, but Canada beckons to me.. I see it as an opportunity to move out and test my independence. How easy is it to support oneself in Canada (living in an apt.. for example)? How is the job market?

No fluff plz.
    Take a look at Nova Scotia.. it's a place I know remarkably well.. I've been there 2 or 3 times a year for the last 15. I've spent time in 3 of its universities.... although never as a student, just the other half of one, and it was a good few years ago..

Anyway, Halifax is a great place, I love it. Depending on your school-quality-need there is quite a variance from Dal to St Marys and then up in Antigonish is St Francies Xavier.

It's a great province though. Halifax has a bustling student scene, and cost of living is much lower than somewhere truly big city like Toronto.

Winters are kind of cold, but that's true of most of that part of the world.

It's more interesting scenery than the great plains and lakes (Toronto, yawn!). Great coastline and decent beaches.

See some of my photo threads from the cabot trail for an idea what it looks like in the fall.

Oh, and MJ who is often found in the chat room in the evenings is, I believe, in Halifax as a student.

Hope this helps with your options!

MBTI
    istp

the title of this thread is just begging for a oxy-moron, kelso-grade burn