User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Your name/race determines whether or not you get called back for an interview

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_104521293/

With names chosen from birth records in Chicago and Boston, the researchers crafted sets of resumes--some of higher quality, some of lower--labeled them with either "White-sounding" or "Black-sounding" names and sent nearly 5,000 of them out in response to 1,300 jobs advertised in the Chicago and Boston papers.

The response from colleagues as they designed their deceptively simple study was, "'Oh, yes, you'll find a discrimination effect, a reverse discrimination effect,'" Bertrand says.

Instead, they found that resumes with "White-sounding" names--like Jay, Brad, Carrie and Kristen--were 50 percent more likely than those with "Black-sounding" names to receive a callback....
    And the article continues on to even more striking revelations.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Very interesting! In Western Canada there is no significant African-Canadian population (small pockets, or some immigrants in the last five years from African countries). However, it is interesting that many of the "black" names are often used within our Aboriginal population. I think this comes from an identification with rap culture and being a minority, marginalized group.

It is only in the last few years that I have seen many Aboriginal people in the mainstream workforce. It would be interesting to know if there are any parallels, and if so is it Aboriginal names or "black" sounding names that would be discriminated against most. From what I've seen, it seems that there is not a lot of discrimination against hiring Aboriginal people (I live in a community surrounded by reserves). If anything, there is such a push to get First Nations people into the workforce that sometimes they are put into positions that they have not been adequately prepared for, which I think is it's own kind of racism, as it sets them up for failure.

It would be interesting to hear a follow up on this study in a couple of years and see if it has had any impact on the way that HR departments look at resumes, now that they are sensitized to it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Very interesting! In Western Canada there is no significant African-Canadian population (small pockets, or some immigrants in the last five years from African countries). However, it is interesting that many of the "black" names are often used within our Aboriginal population. I think this comes from an identification with rap culture and being a minority, marginalized group.

It is only in the last few years that I have seen many Aboriginal people in the mainstream workforce. It would be interesting to know if there are any parallels, and if so is it Aboriginal names or "black" sounding names that would be discriminated against most. From what I've seen, it seems that there is not a lot of discrimination against hiring Aboriginal people (I live in a community surrounded by reserves). If anything, there is such a push to get First Nations people into the workforce that sometimes they are put into positions that they have not been adequately prepared for, which I think is it's own kind of racism, as it sets them up for failure.

It would be interesting to hear a follow up on this study in a couple of years and see if it has had any impact on the way that HR departments look at resumes, now that they are sensitized to it.
    Yes, it will be interesting to see if this study and others like it will have any significant affect on our implicit attitudes and those of employers. At the very least they can adopt better methods of not allowing their biases to rule the selection process. Another point i found really interesting/disconcerting (among MANY things in this article), is the fact that even those companies subject to affirmative action, which is supposed to help minorities get more jobs, exhibit the SAME sort of bias. There's no difference. Another interesting find is that those with black names didn't even benefit from having a higher education level, and that may have even played against them (at least according to the data).

As a black person, I live with this crap everyday ofc, and am used to encountering various forms of racial bias and prejudice, so I'm somewhat numb to it. But studies like this that show the blatant racism in the system sometimes strike a nerve...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Not exactly a new revelation, no. But for someone data driven like myself, seeing the numbers is more significant to me.

And nobody watches Tyra Banks... :P

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I guess people with hooker names have worse chances too, huh? Jeeze, I should have gotten myself a new name BEFORE I sent that application form to De Voltage.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    I guess people with hooker names have worse chances too, huh? Jeeze, I should have gotten myself a new name BEFORE I sent that application form to De Voltage.
    ?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I feel like this isn't very revelatory information.

I mean, isn't naming the act of ascribing belonging, of defining? It's quite difficult for me to talk about "white-sounding" and "black-sounding" names in this North American context (because I'm English). However, aren't a lot of "black-sounding" American names created de novo as a means by which the/a black community can form an identity in and of itself? An example of this might be the prefixing of De- or Da- to a lot of otherwise common names to create something new (e.g. DaMarcus Beasley). The problem is when the CVs of two people are identical but the names are different, and only one receives a call-back. That's definitely discriminatory. The Tyra clip shows the ridiculousness of people's ideas and their inclination to fear at all times.

Curiously, the names given as "white-sounding" in the example are not so much "white-sounding" as they are "American-sounding". If I heard any of those names, I would automatically assume the person was North American. I don't believe this is a problem of racial problem so much as it is a cultural one (applying to North America, in this instance).
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Your name/race determines whether or not you get called back for an interview
    That's stating it too strongly. Your name/race influences whether or not you get called back for an interview. It's not the only deciding factor.

You should meet one of the engineers I work with... my company would have hired Ebony by now if they didn't have that non-compete agreement with the consulting company. As it is, they have to pay her consulting fee instead, which is considerably higher than her salary would be.

I'm sure there's a lot racism going on. But, I think that if they ran the study with white hippie sounding names like peace, river and dharma they may get similar results. Which makes me think that this is also about the individuality of the names and the fact that companies would prefer people that are less likely to be individualistic and more likely to conform to corporate culture.

I mean what accounting firm wants to hire winter solstice phillips?

Or to put it in lame mbti terms this is really SJ hate toward NFs and SPs. :P
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it