User Tag List

First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    I feel like this isn't very revelatory information.

I mean, isn't naming the act of ascribing belonging, of defining? It's quite difficult for me to talk about "white-sounding" and "black-sounding" names in this North American context (because I'm English). However, aren't a lot of "black-sounding" American names created de novo as a means by which the/a black community can form an identity in and of itself? An example of this might be the prefixing of De- or Da- to a lot of otherwise common names to create something new (e.g. DaMarcus Beasley). The problem is when the CVs of two people are identical but the names are different, and only one receives a call-back. That's definitely discriminatory. The Tyra clip shows the ridiculousness of people's ideas and their inclination to fear at all times.

Curiously, the names given as "white-sounding" in the example are not so much "white-sounding" as they are "American-sounding". If I heard any of those names, I would automatically assume the person was North American. I don't believe this is a problem of racial problem so much as it is a cultural one (applying to North America, in this instance).
    A racial problem is almost always cultural as well, since different races tend to adopt different cultures/subcultures. The thing here is that these people are seeing the names, and are likely calling forth unconscious biases and attitudes they have towards whatever culture and ethnicity they would associate with the names. The names produce an image of an individual who possesses certain qualities and characteristics. Black sounding names carry the damning racial stereotypes, on top of the perception that those with odd/foreign sounding names are outside the normal social group that the HR representative has in mind. Those with odd sounding names don't fit the image of the prototypical candidate, in their minds. That's a problem because the prototype is often of their own social/ethnic group, and those outside of that group suffer, as we see here in this study.

The bias presents itself so strongly because the companies are screening through the resumes as fast as they can, so there is almost nothing but automatic thinking occurring, drawing upon every implicit bias and prejudice they may have picked up. That's not to say they're racist, but rather that the prejudicial ideas that we encounter day to day do work their way into our psychology, and can present themselves in an unconscious manner in even the most PC and open minded of people (though it is in my experience that those who claim to be "open minded" often have less awareness of it, to the point of being obtuse).

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

What about 'dem Asian folk?
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

^Not sure if I experienced discrimination with interviews (I have elsewhere). Then again, I don't look distinctly Asian. About the only discrimination that comes to mind is that punk at the Apple Store who just wanted to hire girls (just a guess).

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm sure there's a lot racism going on. But, I think that if they ran the study with white hippie sounding names like peace, river and dharma they may get similar results.
    Yeah, I'm not suggesting I know anything about racism, but I bet any unusual names feel the hate, even more "white" ones, though perhaps to different degrees. (not really sure what "black" names are anyway). Even the ones that are "creatively" spelled variations of common names (something like Sairah or Jooley maybe). It's too bad that people don't get to choose their names (name changes aside). Some people get stuck with really unfortunate ones - like most children of the movie stars/celebrities, sadly.

(I have an unusual but not bizarre/made-up name, and I like it. I've met fewer than 10 people with my name.)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

This isn't news man, but it's good that you are enlightened.

I have 10 siblings, and we all have 'white' names. (I'm black if you didn't know). Most of my nieces and nephews have those type names as well. While my parents chose the names because they like the names, she did have in mind the stereotyping that could go along with it.

My name sounds very, very European.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I have a Muslim name. I'll never work at an airport. Gas stations are open though...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

While some of you may be "enlightened" already about the issue, I think it's important to discuss these things out in the open, especially when you consider that not everyone knows this kind of stuff.