User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 170

  1. #61
    Senior Member TopherRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    At any sporting event. At any group dominated by sensors. Generally speaking, in California. But I haven't really tapped iNto the uNderground culture yet.
    Love is the point.

  2. #62
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    You are asking me to explain Ne or Ni and how could i possibly do that when i see the threads on here and the disagreements in opinion .. You can always argue logic based on your own perceptions.

    I don't want to get into the your better at this and i'm better at that .. You instantly dismiss other possibilities when you close your thinking.

    Samantics .. varying degrees now .. The thread is real life situations where it sucks to be an intuitive so i am waiting for examples so i am able to toy with the idea that i am most definately a sensor .. the data being presented here by individuals is pointing towards human characteristics and not N.

    Something i have noticed with N's though is you guys are supposed to be able to see the bigger picture so why do you choose to focus on a specific that i have written and not the whole, (that could be viewed as autistic behaviour).
    No, look, I appreciate your input here. The big picture is this: It just seems like you're basically saying that the intuitives don't know what they're talking about - like we don't know what intuition is. We've got a whole thread here of intuitives talking about intuitive "moments" - and we all relate very well to what each other are saying. We all "get it" - because we experience it in a very similar way. And then you have someone come in and say, "No, that's not intuition". Umm, yes, it is. That's why we keep discussing it and talking about examples - because we relate to each other's experiences.

    It's not about semantics. It's just a thread of people sharing their "intuitive experiences". That's how it started out and that's what's still going on in the thread. Not sure what else to say. This thread doesn't encapsulate EVERYTHING about being intuitive, but there are some funny and entertaining stories/situations that have been described by intuitives about how their function works. Don't tell us we're wrong, cuz we're not. This is how we experience it.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  3. #63
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    At any sporting event. At any group dominated by sensors. Generally speaking, in California. But I haven't really tapped iNto the uNderground culture yet.
    I like sporting events. It's like everyone is eating their little popcorn or their little hot dog and holding individual conversations, and I like to look at the whole stadium and the huge crowd and just kind of experience the overall ambiance. I do the same thing at concerts too. I like to actually be toward the back, so I can see all the people in front of me and how the crowd gets into it, etc. It's not just about the perfomer or the game, it's about the whole "experience" of the venue.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  4. #64
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    This "sensor" kind of hates sporting events. Watching baseball, for example, has got to be on my list of most boring things to do. I have fun playing though. So I'm halfway in the "NF sports hater" category.

  5. #65
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    What is intuition to you? Sensors do a lot of things better than intuitives because "sensing" is higher up in their function order - they are "better" at sensing. It's so very obvious to me that my sensor friends are much better at "sensing" than I am. So, this begs the question: What do sensors think that intuitives are especially good at?
    Actually, you are wrong. MBTI describes the ways you prefer to interact with the world, not your strengths and abilities. Measuring talent isn't its goal, which is good because it's lousy at it. Sure, there's overlap, mostly because of practice at the things we like...but having a talent for math (for example) doesn't make you intuitive just because math is abstract. That isn't a hypothetical example, by the way.

    A sensor may lose their keys once a month - I might lose something 7 times per day. It's different degrees.
    I'd be willing to bet money that I lose more things than the average intuitive person, and forget more things too. I know I'm not an exception in the sensor world, either (based both on experience IRL and here).

    I don't think absent-mindedness is an intuitive trait, not even slightly, although it may be over-represented in the N population (note: very different concepts). A lot of the things mentioned in this thread are "intuitive moments", but losing your keys is absolutely not one of them. I truly wish it was though - I'd be a lot more functional in life.
    -end of thread-

  6. #66
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Lol .. This thread makes me laugh .. Those who have claimed to of lost their keys, house, way home and sanity .. They are not intuitive moments .. They are human moments .. Even sensors lose things .. We are not so different afterall .. Unless you want to be different.
    agreed. although, i personally almost never lost things. i'm incredibly organized. not always, necessarily clean... but i have a place for everything, and always remember where i put things. and i do well to keep up with items i take along places very well. but this isn't the case for all Se's or Si's. a good ESFP friend and ex-roommate of mine and her boyfriend whom is an ISTP, ALWAYS lose things. trying to find the keys, purse, cigarettes, were part of their daily tasks it seemed. it always cracked me up, and i always tried so hard to keep them organized, but alas, never worked.






    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Wanting to know 'Why' again is not an intuitive approach to things, its's a human approach .. So stop with the whole sensor shit .. I question everything and like to know the whys, whats and hows of random concepts and i am not an intuitive .. If you listen carefully enough you can hear the cogs going in my mind trying to connect the dots.
    agreed, again. however, the "why's" simply may be in response to different situations and things and questions and answers. for example... for an ISTP, why does a light come on when i turn on the light switch? for an INTP, why does e=mc2?


    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    Yep! And I feel like a total idiot when I do something like that.

    The dangerous part about having dominant Ni is when I'm driving. I have to put music on to help harness it and connect it to reality. Without music, my brain will lose focus on present reality just to keep it entertained on a rather boring route. Trouble is, sometimes my mind even wanders on other thoughts about what I have to do when I get home, working out personal issues, and analyzing my own type, then it leads to another idea, off to another one. Then my mind has been taken far away from the present, and I swear, it feels like I've blanked out for just a millisecond, and it scares the hell out of me when I get jolted back into reality. I can't seem to get my brain to shut up! But the advantage to Ni is that I have it compensate for my lack of Se skills, and predict where the driver in front of me will go based on their movements and positioning on the road. I end up hitting the brakes sooner than the people behind me do cos I am anticipating the next one in front of me to drive like an idiot.

    When I was a teenager, when my Ni was really honing in and developing, I had these weird moments of deja vu, where I was seeing things that I had dreamed about happening in real life. It felt very strange, like everything I had predicted would happen subconsciously did happen. I felt like I was stuck in a dream, and it caused a bit of anxiety. After a while, I got used to it. I think I was letting my Ni rule me at the time.
    i don't know if i just personally am more balanced on the S/N scale or perhaps it's because i am an ISFP and do have Ni running in the background... but many of these stories aren't drastic from my own experiences. i am very in tune with my dreams, always have been since childhood... i've experienced deja vu many a times, and while driving i blank out a lot, too. only to come back and freak out about how far i'd gotten and how miraculously i'm safe and alive.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    No, I think that's exactly what intuition does. A sensor is only going to look for the facts - things they can directly see. Someone who is intuitive is going to sense the deeper meaning behind people's behavior.
    sensor's don't go looking for facts only. we just prefer to work in a world of concrete and tangible objects and ideas. but we're not limited to this realm, it's simply a preference and a comfortable work area. someone mentioned it earlier, that sensors do use their eyes... not to mention their logic and for some their feelings, as well. i'm not one to be concerned so much with what one says, but perhaps how one says it. i'm concerned with tone, facial expression, body language, reaction, anxiety, confidence, feelings, etc. a persons motives or true feelings or meaning behind words can of course be picked up by intuition, but sensors can work their way around to the same conclusions using different functions and methods. using their own experience, perhaps. being Fi dominant, i'm also incredibly empathetic, and use this to hone in one what someone may not be verbalizing directly.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  7. #67
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Lol .. This thread makes me laugh .. Those who have claimed to of lost their keys, house, way home and sanity .. They are not intuitive moments .. They are human moments .. Even sensors lose things .. We are not so different afterall .. Unless you want to be different.
    It's possible you're right but I don't think so. There are certain things that seem to be common to intuitives. One of them is that they may not be in touch as much with every day practical matters as a sensor. Most are sensitive to a lifetime of direct or subtle criticism from others - head in the clouds, no common sense, not practical, not in touch with reality, you'd forget your head if it wasn't tacked onto you, over-analyzing things, etc. You see the things people describe here are things that are experienced by intuitives and it is a matter of degree.

    In the last week, I have done the following:
    - Forgot where I parked my car - twice
    - Was late for a meeting because I was pre-occupied in thought
    - Lost my cell phone
    - Missed a flight
    - Get bored and spaced out in meetings

    I once had a college room-mate (SP) put a five foot tall plant in my room and ask me what was different. I couldn't for the life me tell what it was.

    Maybe it is an Ni thing, but this stuff happens to me frequently. That is, I get absorbed in thought and am absent-minded. Yet, somehow I manage to function reasonably well in the world through various coping mechanisms.

    If you are going to tell me that an Se dom would not notice a five foot tall plant in their room or that an Si dom is not constantly focused on absorbing their impressions of present reality, I'd say... well, I don't know what I'd say.

    Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Something i have noticed with N's though is you guys are supposed to be able to see the bigger picture so why do you choose to focus on a specific that i have written and not the whole, (that could be viewed as autistic behaviour).
    I can speak for NTs. If you say 9 things that are right and 1 thing that is wrong, we will tend to focus on the one thing you said that is wrong, regardless as to whether or not we are thinking about the big picture.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I realize these are human approaches...not knocking that. I know almost everyone wants to know 'why' and has trouble with things that have no explanation behind it.
    But the way I go about it and the amount of energy I put into is different. I usually want to reach a depth of understanding something that most people think is way overboard and unnecessary. I can pick up on one difference right away--you say, "connect the dots". I can't even begin to think that way. Or I should say, it costs me a great deal of energy to think in that way. I gather information and then it all suddenly comes together...like jumping to the next atomic level. Or reaching critical mass.

    The ex and another sensor I am fond of always point out things to me that I never notice. Things about my own body that I'm pretty oblivious about. I'm awed that they even notice such details. They themselves remark (not very kindly) on, what is to them, an extreme lack of attention.

    I don't know if this happens to other intuitives but I am often unhappy about how my memory works. It tends to form impressions about events rather than details. Someone might tell me that so and so was wearing 'x' and they were driving 'y' and had this, that, or the other. I can't do that. I only remember the vaguest impressions of something. I will admit those impressions are extremely strong. I think this sucks.
    Exactly, except I'm not sure it sucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'd be willing to bet money that I lose more things than the average intuitive person, and forget more things too. I know I'm not an exception in the sensor world, either (based both on experience IRL and here).

    I don't think absent-mindedness is an intuitive trait, not even slightly, although it may be over-represented in the N population (note: very different concepts). A lot of the things mentioned in this thread are "intuitive moments", but losing your keys is absolutely not one of them. I truly wish it was though - I'd be a lot more functional in life.
    Maybe you are an exception.

    Or maybe there is something about ISxPs....

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  8. #68
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Performing an experiment in a lab science course and knowing what results are supposed to happen in theory but not being able to get the desired results because you inadvertently spill stuff, skip steps, etc.

    Knowing the physics behind sports and games like bowling and billiards- you know from physics what would knock all the pins over or get the ball in the hole but you have trouble actually doing it successfully.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  9. #69
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I have my moments of getting lost in thought, forgetting things, etc.. I'm not sure what brings it on. I've forgotten where my car is parked before. It's maddening. I haven't lost my cell phone, but I've accidentally washed two different phones by leaving them in my pants in the wash. I don't exactly do anything like go to business meetings, but I'm pretty sure I'd forget what was said anyways (mostly because I don't give a shit about business or meetings. That's probably not Ni though).

  10. #70
    Senior Member Noon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Maybe it's e9 energy or something or whatever, but I'm almost always zoning out if there's nothing to constantly keep me 'there'. I am naturally spacey. Rarely have I felt exceptionally grounded. I'm used to being scolded for being immature or lacking 'mental discipline' because I let my mind wander so much and because I lose track of many things often, including time. I am also eye-rolled at for being too 'serious', asking too many questions, worrying about or reading too much into things, and being most strongly interested in things that "aren't real" or "don't even really matter", according to many. And well, I'm an SJ.



    I'm not saying that Ns being the primary people like this is completely false, but when I read so much stuff about SJs being so conventional and grounded and non-curious with all their stuff together at all times, there's always a big question mark looming above my head. It makes me wonder if the SJ descriptions are too extreme or if I'm just altogether crazy.

Similar Threads

  1. Is it possible to be an "XXXX"?
    By swordpath in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 09:21 PM
  2. is it possible to be a peaceful muslim?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
  3. What's it like to be a Feeler?
    By Tallulah in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 09:26 PM
  4. Situations you never want to be in.
    By Athenian200 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 12:27 AM
  5. Is it Illogical to be Dominantly Je?
    By Blackwater in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO