User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 170

  1. #121
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    From my perspective, it actually seems like the opposite - saying something is an intuitive trait is logically saying it isn't a sensor trait, so it feels just as invalidating on my (our?) part, too, when we're saying we have those experiences too and it's just categorically dismissed. From my perspective, I don't think intuitives (or sensors for that matter) are necessarily more qualified to say what's an intuitive OR a sensor trait, assuming there isn't much overlap (which would defeat the point of categorizing). As a parallel, I could see Ns being frustrated if all the sensors said talent at painting was an S trait, for example. I can see how both perspectives can lead to frustration. Probably best to avoid categorization at all, but then the whole mbti system becomes a little...irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    hmm..yeah.. I think it's quite the slippery slope when one attempts to tie every little aspect/quirk/behavior of ours to a solitary function. I mean a lot of these things do vary by individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Anyway. I haven't read a bit of the rest of this thread. But to the thread title - I don't know that it's a specific cog. function that trips me up - i.e. intuition - but rather a combo of things.
    Ok - I've thought about the logical consistency issue because it seems to be at the heart of some of this, e.g., "saying something is an intuitive trait is logically saying it isn't a sensor trait.".

    Putting aside introverted vs. extraverted varieties for a moment, sensing and intuition are the preference one has for perceiving. That's all. Preferences are not absolute. Those preferences do give rise to patterns in behaviors. This being said, there is nothing that is logically inconsistent about a person being a sensor and absent minded, in their head, forgetful, or whatever. In the larger scheme of things, type is only one thing to consider in understanding how someone might think or behave.

    The danger is in connecting the function preferences to traits and treating those traits as absolutes for a given type, which is something Solitary Walker has brought up in the past.

    People are simply giving examples of their experiences. That doesn't mean there is an implication that sensors can't experience those exact same things. It simply means that is their experience.

    Unless of course the sensors object to the whole idea of the thread in the first place because by implication, it does connect behaviors with type.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  2. #122
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Personally, I don't disagree with the overall concept, just the particular one I mentioned. I agree they aren't absolutes, but I still disagree that that one is true at all (mostly just absent-mindedness, which I think is more related to upbringing than type, and maybe also curiosity and feeling out of place, although I could accept that Ns feel those more often than the average population). If the thread is intended for "it sucks to be intuitive sometimes because X happens to me", and X is also very common in the S population (not just a few exceptions), I think it's bizarre and misleading to post about it (and also off topic) which is why I replied, but I think this may have been intended more as a vent thread than as a discussion.

    I think at a certain number you pass the realm of "exceptions" to the stereotype and imo this point has been passed for at least absent-mindedness; I'm sure others disagree, of course. The part of my reply you bolded was my reaction to being called an "exception" even though I stated that I know many other absent-minded Ss (i.e. invalidating my viewpoint). Not to being categorized in the first place.

    I think the OP doesn't want this kind of discussion, though - just wanted to clarify my response, and I'll try to refrain from posting more.
    -end of thread-

  3. #123
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Real life examples of where it sucks to be an intuitive -- I have the thing where I know if someone's been in my house, too. I gave a spare key to a boyfriend once with the idea that in an emergency of some sort, he could take care of my cat and water the ficus tree. I kept coming home and as I was putting my hand on the doorknob and putting my key in the door, I would get the very strong impression of his presence, very strong. I didn't want to think it so I kept brushing it aside. I'll skip the details but it was later verified that he was indeed using my apartment while I was at work. I was not wrong. I had zero evidence so I didn't feel like I could bring it up to him -- it would be too easy for him to say No, of course not, why would I do that, etc., and turn it around on me, so I just kept my counsel.

    So it sucks to be a strong intuitive when you know things you can't prove and you get taken advantage of because nobody will accept anything but tangible evidence.

    And by the same token, it sucks to be an intuitive when people won't believe you that you can know by putting your hand on the doorknob that someone has been in your house. It leaves a wide swath of life experience that you can't talk about because nobody will believe you.

  4. #124
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    These are points that fueled my need to reply to this thread- not to disrail, but to discuss.

    I think INTPness' point- that one may have more of certain experiences over the other (because we all use the functions) but then the question is- where do Ns have the ability to conclude sensors what their traits are? Because your parents were? Your spouse? Best friend? Not at all. Unless you are getting it from the horse's mouth, it's all speculation. I prefer the discussion over the well 'you're not an N so you wouldn't understand'. Bullish

    I'm one of 11, and I'm the one with the nickname Twierd. I would take milk caps, nuts, bolts, and whatever I could find and make games up with them. Stories, name them, and all that. I was the one who could count forwards and backwards at age 3, Aced in school, graduated at the top of my class- all that. While they loved me, as bigger kids and teenagers sometimes the things my fam said would hurt. I was the wierd one. I didn't get along with most people in my school. I was a black dude in all the honors classes, and I got along with them the most. As I got older I got comfortable in my skin, and embrace my oddness. I'm still that way. My friends still call me Rainman to this day.

    So while I respect that some of you may have had difficulty growing up, some of us who strongly identify with an S type can relate. So respect our desire to understand you just as much as we want to be understood. I think you'll find more commonality than differences. That is, if you want to understand.
    It's not unusual at all for SJs, especially ISJs, to be great students in honors classes. "Rainman" traits also seem very ISTJ, so that's not proving anything, either.

    I guess for you it was a cultural issue of being a black male in honors classes?

    Anyone can feel left-out or different for various reasons, obviously, not just because being an Intuitive. But this thread was about people's uncomfortable experiences as Intuitives and having a bunch of sensors come in and say "oh that's not true" is a bit silly. It's like you don't want to admit that there are any differences, or saying you guys are being discriminated against, etc.

    Fine! Great! So go make a thread about that, it's a perfectly valid thread topic, and allow this to be a space for Ns to complain about their own experiences.

  5. #125
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Personally, I don't disagree with the overall concept, just the particular one I mentioned. I agree they aren't absolutes, but I still disagree that that one is true at all (mostly just absent-mindedness, which I think is more related to upbringing than type, and maybe also curiosity and feeling out of place, although I could accept that Ns feel those more often than the average population). If the thread is intended for "it sucks to be intuitive sometimes because X happens to me", and X is also very common in the S population (not just a few exceptions), I think it's bizarre and misleading to post about it (and also off topic) which is why I replied, but I think this may have been intended more as a vent thread than as a discussion.

    I think at a certain number you pass the realm of "exceptions" to the stereotype and imo this point has been passed for at least absent-mindedness; I'm sure others disagree, of course. The part of my reply you bolded was my reaction to being called an "exception" even though I stated that I know many other absent-minded Ss (i.e. invalidating my viewpoint). Not to being categorized in the first place.

    I think the OP doesn't want this kind of discussion, though - just wanted to clarify my response, and I'll try to refrain from posting more.
    1. You guys can discuss it all you want.
    2. I never even had a thought of "venting" when I made the thread. I shouldn't have used the word "sucks". Maybe I should have said - "when you find something out that you didn't necessarily want to know through some action that your intuition led you to do" (i.e., me putting tape on my door - which sound ridiculous in practice - but I believed it enough that it was something I felt I needed to explore).
    3. I've already conceded the point. At this point, I honestly don't care if it can be proven that sensors are more absent-minded than intuitives. I can just tell you from my own personal experience in life (doesn't mean it's absolute and I'm not going to argue about it), the term "absent-minded professor" - there's a reason for it. And that's not to say sensors can't be professors - maybe there are more sensor professors than intuitive professors - I'm very hesitant at this point in the thread to make any claims whatsoever about intuitives. All I'm willing to say at this point is that I know intuitives exist in the world. I will make no other claim about them because I personally don't care to get into it further. If you guys want to, by all means, have at it. My point in #3 was basically that the absent-minded professor, on average, seems to be more "absent-minded" than, well, other segments of the population. We've all had a few professors who were very absent-minded. I don't know that I run into a ton of absent-minded people during the rest of my day though - and in a lot of other professions. One member of my family, for instance, builds houses for a living. He's not absent-minded at all - and it's a good thing - working 15 feet in the air, etc. He's actually the very opposite of absent-minded. I've never seen the man have a "duh" moment in my life. I'll grant you that the SP that works with him is a bit absent-minded but, really, who knows. The thread was just intended for light-hearted stories, but I don't see it as "my thread" or "my right to censor" - I've already apologized for that. It's free reign, boys.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  6. #126
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Meh. Intuitives and Sensotards are totally the SAME. One's a little emo than the other, the other's got a nice tan.. but whatever. Minor details.


  7. #127
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    No, no we aren't the same. Maybe it's more evident to us than it is to you, that has occurred to me.

  8. #128
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Meh. Intuitives and Sensotards are totally the SAME. One's a little emo than the other, the other's got a nice tan.. but whatever. Minor details.

    Now we're getting somewhere! That's the post I've been waiting for that would squash all arguments at once.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  9. #129
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    No, no we aren't the same. Maybe it's more evident to us than it is to you, that has occurred to me.
    In case it wasn't obvious, I'm kidding. I've already stated my views on that. FWIW, I'll agree that someone probably should make another thread.

  10. #130
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    I have been known to try to intuit maps and glasses of water.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Similar Threads

  1. Is it possible to be an "XXXX"?
    By swordpath in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 09:21 PM
  2. is it possible to be a peaceful muslim?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
  3. What's it like to be a Feeler?
    By Tallulah in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 09:26 PM
  4. Situations you never want to be in.
    By Athenian200 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 12:27 AM
  5. Is it Illogical to be Dominantly Je?
    By Blackwater in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO