User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    N is the new Fi.
    lol. i feel tension in this thread too.

the below thread is funny and has the same kind of flavour minus the tension - it's not about N stuff generally though - just sensotardation. i remember reading it when i first joined here.

sensotard moments*

*warning: stories of N absentmindedness might offend some people's sensibilities.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Relying on my intuitive shaped brain sucks when driving to a destination I only visit occasionally. I think.. yeah, I know how to get there and hop straight into the car and head out. Then nothing looks familiar, but I pick a direction that 'feels' right and use the force from there. Usually I end up where I meant to go, but I'm not 100% sure it'll end in successstill I get there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

In the nature of keeping things constructive, I offer my sincere apologies for my part in the "tension" and bickering in this thread. I like the things I've been able to learn from this forum (that's what keeps me coming back) and I hate it myself when I see any decent thread that I've been participating in go spiraling down the toilet. To Randomnity, I guess my frustration was two fold:

1. I've seen other threads on intuition where sensors basically told the intuitives that the experiences being discussed weren't intuitive. As if the sensors knew more about intuition and how it manifests itself than the intuitives themselves. Like Z Buck McFate mentioned, it kind of invalidates your experience and you know that it's coming from someone whose intuition is lower in their function order than your own.

2. What you were discussing is certainly on the table for discussion - somewhere on this forum - I just didn't see why it entered into this particular thread. The thread was basically "share you experiences/stories" - it wasn't "do you think this is intuition that I'm describing?" It'd be like if we had a thread about favorite Thanksgiving stories and someone said, "That's not a good example of a Thanksgiving story because that could happen any day of the year to anyone." Well, it was still their Thanksgiving story.

I don't know - I don't really care to get into the logic of it anymore. In all seriousness, I do apologize and it's my hope that Randomnity will accept. Carry on.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Relying on my intuitive shaped brain sucks when driving to a destination I only visit occasionally. I think.. yeah, I know how to get there and hop straight into the car and head out. Then nothing looks familiar, but I pick a direction that 'feels' right and use the force from there. Usually I end up where I meant to go, but I'm not 100% sure it'll end in successstill I get there.
    Not sure if it has anything to do with intuition, but I am not particularly good with directions either, or at least following them seems to take much more effort than it does for other people. Driving was much more stressful before I had a GPS especially if I hadn't been somewhere before. I even use it now when I know where I'm going a lot of times so I don't forget to take the right turns and stuff. Once, on the drive home, I drove 20 miles past the exit and was like - oh shit - this doesn't look familiar.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Thanks for the explanation. I'm sorry I contributed to derailing the thread - people usually don't mind so I erroneously assumed that was the case here.

From my perspective, it actually seems like the opposite - saying something is an intuitive trait is logically saying it isn't a sensor trait, so it feels just as invalidating on my (our?) part, too, when we're saying we have those experiences too and it's just categorically dismissed. From my perspective, I don't think intuitives (or sensors for that matter) are necessarily more qualified to say what's an intuitive OR a sensor trait, assuming there isn't much overlap (which would defeat the point of categorizing). As a parallel, I could see Ns being frustrated if all the sensors said talent at painting was an S trait, for example. I can see how both perspectives can lead to frustration. Probably best to avoid categorization at all, but then the whole mbti system becomes a little...irrelevant.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Not sure if it has anything to do with intuition, but I am not particularly good with directions either, or at least following them seems to take much more effort than it does for other people. Driving was much more stressful before I had a GPS especially if I hadn't been somewhere before. I even use it now when I know where I'm going a lot of times so I don't forget to take the right turns and stuff. Once, on the drive home, I drove 20 miles past the exit and was like - oh shit - this doesn't look familiar.
    hmm..yeah.. I think it's quite the slippery slope when one attempts to tie every little aspect/quirk/behavior of ours to a solitary function. I mean a lot of these things do vary by individual. For example, my infj friend is quite like you with regards to directions, and it confounds me to no end that she gets lost so easily even WHEN she has directions. I simply don't get it. If I have directions, I'm golden. Even if I don't, I tend to generally know where a place is, assuming I've been in the area I have a good idea of general street layout and all of that, so can 'find' my way relatively easily. All bets are off though in downtown regions with large numbers of one-way streets or non-gridlike layouts. That's a bit more... challenging. haha.

Anyway. I haven't read a bit of the rest of this thread. But to the thread title - I don't know that it's a specific cog. function that trips me up - i.e. intuition - but rather a combo of things. For me my biggest stumbling block in terms of interacting with the world is my introversion as well as my resistance towards certain realities of survival - namely, anything having to do with jobs and such - navigating that world, networking, finding the jobs tolerable, my own priorities/concerns differing from many, etc.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Trust me, it's my intuition, for me anyway. I rely on it so heavily that my memories are a jumble of impressions feelings and abstracts. This sucks for driving.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. I'm sorry I contributed to derailing the thread - people usually don't mind so I erroneously assumed that was the case here.

From my perspective, it actually seems like the opposite - saying something is an intuitive trait is logically saying it isn't a sensor trait, so it feels just as invalidating on my (our?) part, too, when we're saying we have those experiences too and it's just categorically dismissed.
    Interesting point on the logic.

Hasn't the dialogue been constructive overall though - to confront some of these feelings or perceptions?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

From my perspective, it actually seems like the opposite - saying something is an intuitive trait is logically saying it isn't a sensor trait, so it feels just as invalidating on my (our?) part, too, when we're saying we have those experiences too and it's just categorically dismissed. From my perspective, I don't think intuitives (or sensors for that matter) are necessarily more qualified to say what's an intuitive OR a sensor trait, assuming there isn't much overlap (which would defeat the point of categorizing). As a parallel, I could see Ns being frustrated if all the sensors said talent at painting was an S trait, for example. I can see how both perspectives can lead to frustration. Probably best to avoid categorization at all, but then the whole mbti system becomes a little...irrelevant.

These are points that fueled my need to reply to this thread- not to disrail, but to discuss.

I think INTPness' point- that one may have more of certain experiences over the other (because we all use the functions) but then the question is- where do Ns have the ability to conclude sensors what their traits are? Because your parents were? Your spouse? Best friend? Not at all. Unless you are getting it from the horse's mouth, it's all speculation. I prefer the discussion over the well 'you're not an N so you wouldn't understand'. Bullish

I'm one of 11, and I'm the one with the nickname Twierd. I would take milk caps, nuts, bolts, and whatever I could find and make games up with them. Stories, name them, and all that. I was the one who could count forwards and backwards at age 3, Aced in school, graduated at the top of my class- all that. While they loved me, as bigger kids and teenagers sometimes the things my fam said would hurt. I was the wierd one. I didn't get along with most people in my school. I was a black dude in all the honors classes, and I got along with them the most. As I got older I got comfortable in my skin, and embrace my oddness. I'm still that way. My friends still call me Rainman to this day.

So while I respect that some of you may have had difficulty growing up, some of us who strongly identify with an S type can relate. So respect our desire to understand you just as much as we want to be understood. I think you'll find more commonality than differences. That is, if you want to understand.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Interesting point on the logic.

Hasn't the dialogue been constructive overall though - to confront some of these feelings or perceptions?
    There are some who are genuinely interested in discussing differences, and I love that, but there's some kind of resistance still there.