12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default All About Trolls

I came across this write-up the other day about trolls.

http://www.guineafowl.com/board/troll.html

What do you think about all of this?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Eh seems like something a college student wrote for an English class, but I suppose would be very informative to some older person who isn't extremely familiar with the ways of the web.

I like that he pointed out that trolls can serve a purpose, and that they're often a legitimate source of dissenting opinion or humor.

I like "trolls" who are funny and clever, who actually make points, and aren't excessively cruel. I only become offended by trolling when it's clear that the troll's intention is to hurt other people, and they go at it maliciously.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think you're funny
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I only become offended by trolling when it's clear that the troll's intention is to hurt other people, and they go at it maliciously.
    That's interesting. How can you tell what somebody else's intentions are? I see a lot of misunderstandings that arise between people when they arrive at conclusions about another person's underlying motivations for doing something. Many times those conclusions in fact are more projections of their own motivations than motivations of the other. In reality, this seems like it can be a pretty difficult thing to do unless you know somebody very well.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Did they make highlander a mod ? omfg, that's desperate

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This is awesome!!

It touches on so many different things related to online behaviour and psychology and forums that I've been thinking about for a long time, I dont know what usenet is but I remember visiting older bulletin boards and the like from before more sophisticated forums such as this one and I've seen all those sorts of behaviour.

I've not finished reading it all yet but I'm surprised that necro-posting or rehashing debates are considered trolling, I mean, yeah, if its clearly a "denial of service" hit to overload or freeze a forum, which would have been feasible before flood controls and the like. Although I reckon it would only make sense if you where a new member of a forum to check if debates had been done before to see what people have been talking about before, I've done that one other forums and this one, while on one forum I was warned about it there where a lot of people who wanted to participate in threads they'd never seen before. As to redoing old topics, well with new people entering any group things which will have been discussed could get discussed again, it could even make those old topics more interesting.

Going to read the rest, cheers Highlander.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    That's interesting. How can you tell what somebody else's intentions are? I see a lot of misunderstandings that arise between people when they arrive at conclusions about another person's underlying motivations for doing something. Many times those conclusions in fact are more projections of their own motivations than motivations of the other. In reality, this seems like it can be a pretty difficult thing to do unless you know somebody very well.
    I can agree with that but at the same time you can generally pick trolls out of a line up, people who conduct themselves without due deference or respect, who'll repeatedly make excuses about others being humourless when they are offended, people who try to stoke existing hostilities just to see people tear strips of one another. That kind of thing. The sort of thing which would get you in trouble or ignored in real life but which some how people believe will fly or be acceptable online.

Things like targetting specific individuals, especially if they explicitly tell you that they do not want to have anything to do with you and have asked you to refrain from posting to you and posting about you. Its all very easily recognisable. The problem emerges when there's a complete or partial denial of what's happening by the group.

That can happen for a host of reasons, people mistake a troll for being sincere and sharing their views, people mistake a troll for being a prankster, consider that every forum has or needs a character of this sort (but that could be about minimising trolling as a behaviour rather than what an individual troll is doing). A clever troll will try and exploit every one of those things, whether they're very deliberately trolling or just a jerk who underestimates how anti-social they are being or doesnt care or has just gotten it into their head that they can, must and will engage in some sort of titanic struggle with someone who's called them out on their behaviour.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    ... who'll repeatedly make excuses about others being humourless when they are offended ...
    We trolls aint from yesterday. We do now that this way we wont get you. Problem is any other way we wont also. Therefore we just plant a vb script on your computer and in case of you being too omnipresent in our presence we press the button . Since this hasnt happend yet, I cant just say we trolls have a lot of patience ( or its you who post not enough, but that would you do, if trolls wouldnt post much, who would post then and far more importent: who could live with that ! ) [ I couldnt since a non-troll posing like a troll would be the worst troll ] { what brings one back to the beginning in which was said nothing and yes I mean your post }. But dont mind I like how you arrange the characters after each other, they make a nice pattern

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Did they make highlander a mod ? omfg, that's desperate
    Oh, is that your car? How did that happen?

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

A few choice quotes from the link in the OP:

"For many people, the characterising feature of trolling is the perception of intent to disrupt a community in some way. Inflammatory, sarcastic, disruptive or humorous content is posted, meant to draw other users into engaging the troll in a fruitless confrontation. The greater the reaction from the community the more likely the user is to troll again, as the person develops beliefs that certain actions achieve his/her goal to cause chaos. This gives rise to the often repeated protocol in Internet culture: "Do not feed the trolls"."

"Please do not feed the troll" images are meant to tell others not to encourage trolls by reacting to them"

The term troll is highly subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. The term is often used to discredit an opposing position, or its proponent, by argument ad hominem. Likewise, calling someone a troll makes assumptions about a writer's motives that may be incorrect. Regardless of the writer's motives, controversial posts are likely to attract a corrective or patronizing or outraged response by those who do not distinguish between real physical community (where people are actually exposed to some shared risk of bodily harm by their actions), and epistemic community (based on a mere exchange of words and ideas). Customs of discourse, or etiquette, originating in physical communities are often applied naively to online discourse by newcomers who are not used to the range of views expressed online, often anonymously. Hence, both users and posts are commonly, and sometimes inaccurately, labelled as trolls when their content upsets people — ironically, the accusatory labeling of a troll may be more disruptive than the original alleged offense itself. Also, people may be more inclined to use epithets like troll in online public discussion than they would be in person, because online forums may seem more impersonal. PDNFTT is a common initialism for Please Do Not Feed The Trolls. There is a quote on IMDb that the common troll does not understand the words 'opinion' and 'leave', meaning that it feels it has superior opinions and will not quit until reaching its own trolling satisfaction.

When appropriately applied to purposefully disruptive online behavior, the word troll economically converts an abstract code of online manners into a concrete image. Experienced participants in online forums know that the most effective way to discourage a troll is usually to ignore him or her, because responding encourages a true troll to continue disruptive posts to that forum — hence the often-seen warning, "Please do not feed the Troll". Posting this warning publicly, in reply to a troll's behavior to discourage further replies, may discourage the troll. However, it can also have the reverse effect, becoming itself food for the troll.

Therefore, when a forum participant sees an apparently innocent answer to a troll as potential troll food, it may be more prudent to deliver the "Please do not feed the Troll" warning to the answerer.

Tri-type 639