User Tag List

Thread: What are the benefits of including creativity and art in every day of your life?

Default What are the benefits of including creativity and art in every day of your life?

I was just reading an interview with a band I like (Titus Andronicus) where the singer was talking about drawing and playing guitar or otherwise being creative.

I play guitar or mandolin every day, and make a very strict point of doing so. Lately I've also been drawing more, and I occasionally write. I attempt to create original works when doing these things (in oppose to playing a song someone else wrote or whatever) and otherwise do wacky experiments.

I wonder what the benefits are psychologically of doing creative things every day. How would my life be different if I was to cease these activities? How would someone who does not do anything creative's life change if they were to start doing creative things on a daily basis?

What kinds of creative things do you do?

I try to play guitar and sometimes other instruments every day. Sometimes I'll try to write some original stuff. Sometimes I will work on other writing projects (like trying my hand at writing a spec script for a sitcom). This is the kind of stuff I have to do, or I'd feel tremendously unfulfilled. I think for some, creative/artistic endeavors are as necessary as breathing and eating. For some, it's just not as important. Other members of my family don't seem to have as much of a need to create.

From my experience, being creative leads to greater creativity. You open yourself up to more inspiration, new ways of thinking. The more you do it, the more you're able to accomplish, and the better you get. Ideas come faster. Confidence builds. And I feel more connected to myself, too. I feel like this is stuff I do for me, for enjoyment, not obligation.
    Something Witty

Ugh that's a good question. I'm a hypocrite, I see myself as being creative, I think it is very important, but I have nothing to show for it. I'm a poet from time to time, but I write so infrequently that I'm not sure that I qualify. I may write like 2 UNFINISHED poems every year.

I think I'll just play on the world's smallest violin now... on my wrist.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    I wonder what the benefits are psychologically of doing creative things every day.

Administering creativity makes things less boring. It's therapeutic though, mostly. It feels good to make something new.

Lungs & Lips Locked Array Unkindloving's Avatar

I used to do many creative things.
    Crafts, writing poetry, drawing. Last year I attempted writing a novel and sewing. Recently, I'm attempting to paint.

It lets me zone out and focus on something for a while, rather than being clouded by a hoard of other thoughts and things. I feel very stuck if I've not been creative for a good while. I do have a lot of trouble with applying imagination though. I'm very out of tune with myself in that regard. Overall, the self-expression is just a good way to feel like myself, even if everyone else is self-expressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    It's therapeutic though, mostly. It feels good to make something new.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

The Duchess of Oddity Array Queen Kat's Avatar

I need to be creative, otherwhise I feel like my head is going to explode.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

My main creative hobby is origami, though I also go to Step class at the gym and there is some creativity involved to change some of the routines to make them harder. I also haunt a certain forum where I've creatively made over 600 posts to seem like I'm nicer and smarter than I truly am

As for what you gain from such hobbies, the act of creating something out of nothing is rewarding in itself, but you also get to show off what you've created as well, whether it is a poem, a piece of craft or even a computer program.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Twerking & Lurking Array ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    4w3 so/sx

Man, I can't imagine my life if I didn't have the ability to be creative. That's the one thing that stops me from being bored, from becoming a vegetable. If I don't allow myself that outlet, then I lose a lot of hope in my every day life because it seems so mundane.

I currently draw, photoshop, dance, sing, create new make up looks, design clothing and write. I'm teaching myself to put together sound quality videos so I can expand my creativity into another field. I LOVE learning about new ways to put my heart and emotions into something that can be seen, heard, felt, tasted or smelt. It's a fulfilling experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.