User Tag List

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Te/Ti for 5 year olds

Okay, so I'm a five year old and I just pissed my pants unbeknownst to my fwiends who already know how to use the toilette.

I pissed my pants, because my teacher Ms. Young wasn't able to explain to me the difference between Te and Ti, as if I were a 5 year old. Which I am!

Can you help me please?
    Maybe you could give me an example of the rationale of Ti versus that of Te on a specific issue or problem?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

*ahem*

Te is when you notice that your parents or teachers tell you about the rules, and punish you for breaking them.You can also be rewarded when you do a good job. It's when you learn how to do something new in the right way, by being told how to do it, and then doing it that way.

Ti is when you realize that if your parents and teachers don't know you did something, you won't get a punishment or a reward for it. It's also when you figure out how to do something, or how it works, all by yourself, without having someone explain it.

Does that make sense?

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Sometimes I don't know why people use Te.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I don't think Ti and Te is very difficult to differentiate.
    Te tends to externalise thinking into the physical world as a judging function to perform what is most logically correct. The logical and rationalisation of the action performed to produce the most productive effect.
    Ti is a more internal process judging the most logical conclusion by the breakdown of the many different variables of a certain piece. The logic and rationalisation of understanding.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    Okay, so I'm a five year old and I just pissed my pants unbeknownst to my fwiends who already know how to use the toilette.

I pissed my pants, because my teacher Ms. Young wasn't able to explain to me the difference between Te and Ti, as if I were a 5 year old. Which I am!

Can you help me please?
    Maybe you could give me an example of the rationale of Ti versus that of Te on a specific issue or problem?
    The differance between Te and Ti is that Ti is a way of understanding the world, where as Te is a mrthod of relating to it. They do totally different jobs.

As an TJ, Te is the function that gives me the drive to go out into the world and get things done. Once a need or or portunity has come to my attention, it is Te that is associated with urge to do something about it. In ETJs that urge to attend to the issues they see at hand is a defining feature. Te tends to be pragmatic or even utilitarian unless it is tempered by a bit of introverted judging.

Ti, on the other hand, is way of understanding the world, but not one of interacting with it - a TP needs their Pe functions for that. Ti is a form of assessing the worth of something, rather than just its utility. Ti leans towards technical aspects of things, creating a strong sense of value or attachment to those things that it sees as worthy, be it science, philiosophy or a perfectly executed round house kick. Unless it is tempered by a bit of Je, Ti can become impractical and distant fom the needs of the everyday world.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Can you help me please?
    Te is when Mommy says, "Go to your bedroom and do your math homework, then clean your room, then come downstairs for dinner. After that you can go outside and play." Mommy's being efficient, but she's also being very bossy.

Ti is when you go to your bedroom, forget everything mommy said, and spend the rest of the evening reading your math book cover to cover. It was so interesting what you were learning, that it didn't even occur to you to come downstairs and eat dinner. While Mommy and Daddy sleep that night, you are under your covers with a flashlight doing "practice problems" to make sure that you really do understand what you read. You're being efficient, but you're also being very nerdy.

Difference? Mom is the "commander" of the house. She has all of her troops in order and when she says something, stuff gets done. She keeps everyone on track and keeps the system running productively. Little Tommy, on the other hand, will be far better at math than Mommy by the end of next week and she'll start taking him with her when she goes grocery shopping so that he can tell her if she should buy an 18 ounce box of cereal for $4.79 with a 50 cent coupon or if she should get the weekly special of two 11 ounce boxes on sale for a total of $5.49. Mommy's good, but she aint that good.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sherlock Holmes View Post
    Sometimes I don't know why people use Te.
    Because it's very sensible to make a child complete their homework before they go out and play, that's why.

Children who don't do their homework fall behind in school, and it's more efficient just to get it done while you're still fresh, because if you try to do it when you come in after playing and are tired, you might be too sleepy to concentrate or just slack off entirely.

Then you fall behind in school, and next thing you know, you've fallen behind in life. Then where are you? Hmm? Humm? Will you tell me that, Mister?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Because it's very sensible to make a child complete their homework before they go out and play, that's why.

Children who don't do their homework fall behind in school, and it's more efficient just to get it done while you're still fresh, because if you try to do it when you come in after playing and are tired, you might be too sleepy to concentrate or just slack off entirely.

Then you fall behind in school, and next thing you know, you've fallen behind in life. Then where are you? Hmm? Humm? Will you tell me that, Mister?
    I think in this particular story, Tommy ends up going to MIT to study math.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Hate

Quit pissin' in your pants you little bastard!! Do you want people to call you pee-boy for the rest of your life! Well!! Do ya?!! - that's how my dad would use his Te.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Well Johnny, "thinking" is really about making decisions based on objective criteria. What does "objective criteria" mean? You know all those rules that they have at school and how you get in trouble if you break the rules? Those rules are a good example of "objective criteria". If you punch another kid in the nose, you'd get in trouble because there is a rule against getting in fights.

There are really two kinds of thinking. The first is Extraverted Thinking. The second is Introverted Thinking.

When you use Extraverted Thinking, you are breaking something down into pieces, getting organized, and applying external measurements. An example of that is when you are the coach of a football team - you are keeping score by the number of points, you might have a number of plays prepared for a game and then you are organizing and executing those plays during the game. You are putting different players in different positions to achieve a result - to win the game. The key thing to think about here is breaking something that has to get done into smaller pieces, planning the activities and then measuring the results.

When you use Introverted Thinking, you are doing things like analyzing, classifying, or defining things. You know that insect collection you have? There is a classification system for different kinds of bugs - a beetle is different than a butterfly or a wasp or a bee. You come up with a framework for making decisions about something and then apply that framework - in this case, what kind of insect it is. Another example of using Introverted Thinking is determining if something is an insect at all. Insects have six legs. Spiders have eight legs. So a spider is not an insect at all - it's something different.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639