123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default When people don't reply to threads you've started

Has this ever happened to you where you start a thread and no one responds? Or maybe too few people respond or the people who respond don't respond in the way you like. Maybe because they didn't quite understand your question so they answered it an unexpected or rather confusing way. Or maybe they went off on their own tangent and people are more interested in the tangent than the original post.

How often has the above happened to you?

A few times. Not so often on this forum though. It's more likely to happen on smaller forums where there isn't much activity. I have run into cases here where I would have liked to receive more responses or the thread didn't quite go in the direction I anticipated.

Does it bother you?

A little. I post a question I'm curious about and want to hear what others have to say about it and its somewhat disappointing to not get a response.

Do you take it personally if people don't respond?

I try not to. Yeah, I think every now and then that maybe people just aren't interested in what I have to say. Then I realize that people are busy, there's hundreds of threads and people can't read everything. So it isn't always because people aren't interested. Sometimes people do read and enjoy the threads but choose not to respond.

When this happens what do you do if anything to try to get more people to respond?

When I've posted videos, I felt like I wasn't getting enough response so I told people that I know the videos are kind of long so just watch a couple of minutes and see what type I come across on them.

Long posts that are poorly formatted are a turn off for many. I've had to learn to make shorter posts. Sometimes multiple smaller posts are better than one large one. Also breaking up longer paragraphs into smaller ones improves readability.

Sometimes posting the same thread on a different forum yields better response for some reason.

Sometimes raising the same question again at a later time helps. Maybe at the time you posted the thread there were several hot topic threads going on at the same time so your thread slept under the radar but reposting at a later time maybe compared to the other threads, yours stands out more.

Making sure you post your thread in the appropriate subforum helps.

What doesn't work is pressuring people into responding. Maybe you'll get responses but they probably won't be as high quality or as sincere.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Yes. It makes me cwy.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

ohhhh...i so wanted this thread to have no responses! haha kat!! i'm kinda kidding. i don't post a lot of threads but nah...i don't really care.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If I don't get a good response to a thread I've started I figure it's just not very interesting to the forum population at the moment. Considering what some of our largest threads are, I don't see much reason to be upset about it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

yeah of course, here or elsewhere. Although here I've started very few threads.

Does it bother you?
    Not really. this is just one of many resources I use for information. If I get no response I just look elsewhere.

Nah. if people aren't interested then it means exactly that; not that I don't have anything interesting to say.

When this happens what do you do if anything to try to get more people to respond?

Not really. Like I said, i just go elsewhere for my information. i find it works out a lot quicker and more efficiently that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

This thread was such a wonderful thing until Queen Kat replied...

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Often enough but not on a constant basis. Not much on this forum.

Does it bother you?

A little, I think. I really love feedback and I love hearing other viewpoints. I think 80% of my interaction with people is like this...well, verbal/written exchanges. It's something I really thrive on and I'm disappointed when it doesn't happen. Sometimes deeply disappointed.

Well, yeah! I want a response and now!!! Okay...not really. I'm more apt to think my question/post was stupid, boring, or put in such a way that made the other person go
    Or maybe they just didn't feel like answering or know what to say. I read stuff all the time but don't respond because I'm not sure of how to condense my thoughts into written word. There's all kinds of reasons...and it's okay with me. It's not like people are getting paid to respond to my posts.

(but I do appreciate all the responses...I do!)

I might prod with "Anybody?" or "No takers?" After that, I drop it. I seldom re-post it or anything.

Yes, it has happened to me. Even on this forum, though I haven't started that many threads here.
    It is sad, but true. Disappointing more exactly. But that's life.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

When I saw this topic, I thought it would be kind of perfect if no one responded to this thread - irony humor.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Its occured several times, mabye a little less than a dozen on the two forums that i typically post on.

Does it bother you?

Yes, it makes me sad on the inside

Sometimes I guess, I see it not so much as me being hated personally, but rather my forum community not caring about what I have to say.

I recently postes in an empty thread of mine "anybody?" to get a second chance at a response, and I got nothing. The only thread that I wasn't to upset about going unanswered was the one where I tried to compare the MTG color pie with MBTI (too vague and unclear to those not familiar with Magic the Gathering).