User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

What is a perfectly normal life and where can I find one?

I would imagine that the experience, not to mention physical trauma, would leave an impact not soon removed from the survivor's behavior and thought processes.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    ^yeah I wonder how many of the survivors went on to lead perfectly normal lives as before.
    Sure, but many things can lead to not having a normal life anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Well, my aunt lost her breast but the cancer went with it.
    Yes I know someone in the same situation. The lymph nodes were removed, too, which leaves the arm susceptible to swelling.

I don't think anyone is the same after a cancer diagnosis.

You might be interested in this program which is available online: The Truth About Cancer.

I completely understand the need and desire for those facing the disease to set themselves in a certain frame of mind, and likewise with their loved ones. And the people that survive cancer absolutely ought to celebrate their triumph as they see fit. But I also understand there is something else which is easy to forget, which is that the connotation of words like "battling", "fighting" and "beating" have a subtle consequence of making those who don't survive into remission almost sound as though they didn't put in enough effort. And that isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID RYAN
    It's very American to think that you can control your destiny, and in the business world, and in the sports world, there's something to that, um, you can control your destiny; but when it comes to having metastatic lung cancer, or pancreatic cancer, it's all biology. Lance Armstrong's associated with, "If I'm strong enough, and if I fight hard enough, and I'm smart enough, I'm gonna beat it." And so when you tell people that they have metastatic pancreatic cancer, their first reaction is, "Let's beat it; you're just gonna point me in the right direction, or give me the right drugs, and we'll beat it," and they don't understand that Lance Armstrong had, you know, won the lottery, essentially. He had the world's most sensitive cancer to chemotherapy that we know - testicular cancer - and his melted like butter; it had nothing to do with, ah, the fact that he was a Olympic athlete.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMIE KLAYMAN
    As much as I'm sort of nervous about a first run clinical trial, it just doesn't, doesn't seem to be the right thing to just sit and wait and do nothing. You can hear about cancer survivors, you know, with the "LIVESTRONG" bracelets, and you hear of all these people saying, you know, that "Oh, you can fight this," or, "You can overcome this," or, "You can do this." They don't understand that you can be the strongest person but you can only bring yourself so far, and there is that pressure of -- you don't want to let anyone down. I'm not ready just to give up at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMIE KLAYMAN
    I've thought about the term of "cancer survivor" but I feel now there should be some term, you know, for the people that struggle that don't survive or don't make it through. I mean, they're trying as hard, so it almost - it almost seems like an unfair terminology now that I look at it. I mean, I would hate for people to think that those people that don't survive didn't want to, didn't have the will to survive.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Good point Vasilisa. It may even cause more stress to feel you need to win it to not let people down. And stress hormones are bad when you are with cancer, I think...

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    What is a perfectly normal life and where can I find one?.
    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Sure, but many things can lead to not having a normal life anymore.
    If there is one thing I've confirmed, is that we never value our health enough when we have it. Having to make your life around health problems can kill one's sense of freedom to pursue what we want in life.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

My mother
    both grandfathers
    one grandmother
    2 aunts
    my best friend's mother AND father
    a few classmates
    a former coworker

all of them went on to live perfectly normal lives afterwords... they DO value exercize and healthy food a bit more now

I only know one person who actually died of cancer
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Sure - several people. One had stomach cancer and had their stomach removed - 23 years ago. Another one had breast cancer - five years ago. Another one had two types of cancer - that's recent but they're in remission. Then there are a couple who had a rare form of blood cancer. One lived for 15 - 20 years with it. The other is in remission after being diagnosed 3 years ago.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    If there is one thing I've confirmed, is that we never value our health enough when we have it. Having to make your life around health problems can kill one's sense of freedom to pursue what we want in life.
    There are people who appreciate their lives more after having overcome a health problem (or even if they didn't overcome it). So, they would say the opposite, that they came to see what they really appreciate in their lives.

MBTI
    ISTP

Yep. I only know one person who died of cancer, and that was before I was born.

I know of many people who beat cancer, and a few who have struggled with it for years and continue to.

I've got a cousin, who is one of the most inspiring people I've met. He was diagnosed with cancer at age 2, and has had it spread to everywhere you can think of at various times, and has had everything from getting brain tumors removed to getting a broken arm set. I've never seen him with hair. He is just incredibly strong mentally.

He played football outside until he passed out from exhaustion (because of all the chemo), even with a cast on his arm. He's better than anyone I've ever met at chess, and is in the highest levels of classes in school in the correct year, even with having missed months at a time in hospital stays. He's 15 now.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Yes, I've known three women who've beaten breast cancer at different stages.