User Tag List

123 Last

Glycerine

Default Why/How the Heck Do People Have Over 1000 Friends on Facebook?

Are they usually the super attractive people or is it something else? I just never understood how/why people could have so many friends on facebook.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Depends on how selective you are.

Ginkgo

I think "Why?" is a better question than "How?".

Glycerine

Actually MT, I was thinking about both but was too lazy to edit.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Those are not their real friends. It's very easy to "accumulate" friends on Facebook - you just start asking all the "friends" of your friends, and many people will say "yes," even if they don't know you, because somehow that gives them positive strokes. I get requests frequently from people I don't even know. I only agree to be friends with people I actually consider to be friends. In my opinion, people who have that many "friends," are probably insecure and feel the need to hike up their number to build their self-esteem. The only exception to this is probably people in the public eye, like performers for pastors. They might get that many people just because they are well known.

Epiphany

Their sense of self-worth is derived by how many virtual friends they have?

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Hmm, I know how it happened with me. I don't actually have a very wide circle of friends, but I have many acquaintances. I went to a secondary school with a really strong school spirit and tight sense of community. I got elected into a prominent leadership position in my final year and then they kind of just flooded in. Many of them I didn't know at all but I didn't want to risk offending them by rejecting the requests. The number doesn't bother me too much... I don't get too personal on my facebook. It somewhat embarrasses me though to think that there's people who know me and have bothered to friend request me, while I don't even know who they are. And it also mildly creeps me out to think people I barely know might watch over conversations and plans I make with my closer friends. I plan to do a major friend cull very soon.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Those are not their real friends. It's very easy to "accumulate" friends on Facebook - you just start asking all the "friends" of your friends, and many people will say "yes," even if they don't know you, because somehow that gives them positive strokes. I get requests frequently from people I don't even know. I only agree to be friends with people I actually consider to be friends. In my opinion, people who have that many "friends," are probably insecure and feel the need to hike up their number to build their self-esteem. The only exception to this is probably people in the public eye, like performers for pastors. They might get that many people just because they are well known.

Vanity? Isn't that behind so much of it?
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Vanity? Isn't that behind so much of it?
    Vanity and biological hording habits.

People want to be seen in the eyes of others to the Nth degree. It's not necessarily shallow. When I first started social networking online, I thought it was shallow because individuals would have a broad array of social ties, while not everybody on their friends list was treated as a close friend. However, that's just because I valued closer, deeper relationships than others. It left me feeling somewhat spiteful until I understood the logic behind their actions. I basically had to overturn the concept of "friend" in the context of facebook. Not all the people on one's friend's list are "friends". They may be family, acquaintances, random flirts you met at a bar, etcetera.