User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why/How the Heck Do People Have Over 1000 Friends on Facebook?

Consulting Detective Array Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

It's not hard. Most people on Facebook will accept almost anyone as a friend. Friend in the facebook sense means 'random on the internet'.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Maybe some of them are super-extroverts who actually have that many acquainatances they'd consider contacting in the future (almost like having a "black book"). It doesn't sound unreasonable given that I have about 170 friends, I'm super introverted, and don't usually friend people I've only met once or twice (with a few exceptions who might get purged soon). I could easily believe someone knowing 10x more pople than me.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

356 friends, and probably no more than 5 or 6 are people I spend appreciable time with in the real world. To say I'm introverted is an understatement.

So, how did I accumulate this many? A few reasons:

1. In a small town everybody literally knows everybody - so when someone from my town sends me a request, I rarely refuse it. Probably 2/3 of my "friends" are people I went to school with or their parents/siblings.

2. The other 1/3 are divided between former co-workers, folks I met in college (very few of those, actually) and people I've "met" in 15 years of being very active in online communities.

3. I was an early adopter to Facebook (2006-07). People who have been on it longer will naturally tend to have more "friends."

4. I dont' see the point in culling my friends list (although I know plenty of people who do this on a regular basis). I can't see myself ever taking the time to do such a thing. If someone is getting on my nerves with their updates or whatever, I use the "ignore" feature to remove them from my news feed. Simple.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Living in a somewhat big city, being pretty social and meeting a lot of new people at parties or hanging outs. Then proceeding to friend every single one of them you meet, even if you don't speak to them again. I know people who do this, a girl I know has 1200 friends.
    () 9w8-3w2-5w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

Celestia Bless Equestria Array tawanda's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

I have about 1000 friends on Facebook. First you add your actual friends, then people you know, and then they add you, and if you don't do anything to remove people you probably never care to see or hear from again it accumulates like crazy. This is especially easy if you move around a lot and live in at least somewhat populated areas.

Those people scare me. It's a turn-off in platonic relationships.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I have about 1000 friends on Facebook. First you add your actual friends, then people you know, and then they add you, and if you don't do anything to remove people you probably never care to see or hear from again it accumulates like crazy. This is especially easy if you move around a lot and live in at least somewhat populated areas.
    I'm the opposite, because I actually do care. I regularly go through my Facebook profile and remove people I just really don't care about.

I'm the same on here. I'd probably have 300+ friends, but I remove people that I stop caring about or who stop posting.
    () 9w8-3w2-5w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

Lay the coin on my tongue Array SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have over 200 friends. Which is weird because I never thought of myself as extroverted. But I know all but one or two of them personally, I think (I mean, face to face personally.) Although, I should qualify that by saying that there are some people on there that I "know" only as in I've met them face to face...but only once or twice. Not all that many in that category, though.

I would say the majority of my FB friends are acquaintances who I know somewhat or semi-well considering they're really just acquaintances. We have mutual friends, we socialize once in a while, we worked together and got along well, etc. However, there are people I have as acquaintances who are on there but I've never added them and they've never added me. Or some that I removed, because I was irritated by the fact that they hardly bothered with me in real life but wanted to be my FB friend or whatever. So if I wanted, I could have more. I dunno. Some of my very best friends are on there too. Not all, obviously. And it has really helped me to keep in contact with some far away people who I had diminished contact with before, but who I actually do like having in my life. I like it a lot for that...or for keeping up a bit more day to day contact with important friends who I kept in contact with anyway, but a bit more intermittently.

Of course, you can also end up with those people who you kind of want to unfriend because your relationship with them is now troubled in some way...but you don't really want to hurt their feelings or "close the door" by unfriending them...but it means they're still more in your life than you want them to be, unless you have the self control to never look at their profile...ugh, I hate that kind of thing. Occasionally it makes me regret I signed up at all.

Over 1000 friends or whatever...I think you've got to be a bit of a scenester for that. I mean, come on.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Consulting Detective Array Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I have no regrets with Facebook or issues involving people's feelings on it as I don't use it. I don't feel the need to share every moment of my life with everyone I've ever met.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Quote Originally Posted by Trentham View Post

3. I was an early adopter to Facebook (2006-07). People who have been on it longer will naturally tend to have more "friends."
    This is key!