User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Pancreatic cancer has such a terrible five-year survival rate not because it is necessarily more virulent than other forms of cancer but because its symptoms and manifestation often prevent it from being diagnosed until after it has metastasized.

It took JRR Tolkien 12 years to write the Lord of the Rings, due partly to external pressures but also due to his extreme perfectionism when it came to his own writing -- the material before Moria includes at least fifty scraps of overlapping drafts and constant markups. In earlier drafts, the story was much lighter (and finally became darker after Tolkien settled on the Ring and its history as the central part of the plot), "Frodo" was known as "Bingo," "Strider/Aragorn" was "Trotter" and a hobbit with artificial feet rather than a man. There probably a year lull between Balin's tomb and the continuation of the narrative...

To land upside down on the ceiling, flies grab it with their front legs and then somersault the rest of their body over. They also jump up and backwards when taking off, so if you swipe at them from behind they will generally jump straight into your palm.

Various actors were considered and/or offered leading parts in The Matrix but refused -- including Ewan McGregor, Nicolas Cage, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, and Leonardo DiCaprio. In a quick flash of Neo's passport during the movie (which was filmed in 1999), his documentation is slated to expire on September 11, 2001.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The plot of Back to the Future has the DeLorean time machine stall three times at very inopportune moments. Fiction was not all that far from fact; the DeLorean prop cars were very temperamental and rarely worked. On the other hand the '48 Packard used for scenes in 1955 ran perfectly according to director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale.

Shots of the DeLorean's speedometer were included in two scenes (in the parking lot of the mall when Marty goes back to 1955 and the climactic scene at the clock tower sending him back to the future) as the DeLorean raced to 88 mph. One problem though: real DeLoreans had an 85 mph speedometer. The art department fabricated 95 mph overlays for the prop car.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with.

The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Centipedes most often don't have 100 feet.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The world currently produces enough food for every person on Earth to eat 3,000 calories a day.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Sniffles

General Nathan Bedford Forrest had no formal military training. This was quite common among many Civil War generals.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

There is such a thing as prostitute penguins. Adelie Penguins build their nests with stones, which are rather rare and highly prized in Antarctica especially during the mating season. Some enterprising females trade intimate favours with other penguins in return for bigger and better stones when their partner's are away.

Apparently innocent domain names;

www.therapistfinder.com
    http://www.bjservices.com/
    www.penisland.net
    http://www.dickslumber.com/
    http://www.nycanal.com/
    http://www.mammotherection.com/church.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas.

oh dear.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Humans share 50% of their DNA with bananas.

oh dear.
    Fifty percent isn't even all that much, considering any two randomized DNA sequences will have 25% match overall by chance (there are only 4 possibilities at each position).

It doesn't surprise me that the DNA is similar since the basic cell level stuff is all the same - respiration, transcription, translation, signalling cascades, transcriptional regulation, protein degradation. You also take into consideration that the genomes of most higher species are roughly 90% "junk". "Non-junk" DNA, that actually codes for a protein or acts as a regulatory element, is much more highly conserved across species but at only ~10% of the genome it really doesn't contribute all that much to the overall similarity.

tl;dr: Having 50% of your DNA in common doesn't really mean anything.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Every Giant panda is the property of China. Any pandas you see in a zoo elsewhere are 'loans' from China, which they can take back at any time. Any cubs born to the loaned pandas are also the property of China.

China's practice of using "Panda Loans" as gifts to other countries started as early as 700AD, and is referred to as "Panda Diplomacy". More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda_diplomacy
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~