User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Plasma, LCD, or LED? - Which Types and Which Models?

What do you think is better these days for a large TV (60 inch plus)? I'm thinking about the 65 inch Panasonic Plasma model right now.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESFJ

I would never touch a plasma, heard too many bad stories .. I like LCD's at the moment, but has to be 1080p.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

with OLED screens around the bend, the cost of a 40"-44" LED has come down to what an LCD of teh same size used to cost.. hence I'd say that going for an LED might be the bets option
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I would never touch a plasma, heard too many bad stories .. I like LCD's at the moment, but has to be 1080p.
    A lot of the burn in problems with plasma have essentially disappeared with refinement of the technology at this point, they're great in terms of price and color fidelity, as well as having a wide viewing area. One of LCD's strong points is how they can make them smaller, but if you're going for a large screen that is diminished.

As long as the Plasma TV is new, and not an older model, you should be fine. LED TVs are sort of the best of both worlds, but more expensive. All the upsides of LCD, but the black quality of Plasmas.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What's the downside to plasma if burn-in doesn't happen anymore? Do they still die easily? I've never had a plasma one before, just heard several horror stories.

We've been using a 42" LG LCD for about a year with no problems. The picture quality looks great to me in HD. Thinking about getting a smaller one for our apartment - I'm guessing between 32-36" or so. Leaning towards LCD since we like the one we had before. Is the price difference between LCD:LED worth it? Will one of them last longer? I would like to keep this tv for a long time.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

The Aquos LED LCD is gorgeous, have you looked at that one highlander? Comes in 60" or 68", if I recall correctly.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    The Aquos LED LCD is gorgeous, have you looked at that one highlander? Comes in 60" or 68", if I recall correctly.
    They didn't have that one at Best Buy. Is there a big chain that carries them?

I looked at a bunch of them last night and the plasma seemed to have a "richness" of color/detail in comparison with the other TVs (LCD/LED). The picture was a little darker overall though. It's a little hard to describe but the quality seemed like it was better. I've heard they are better with fast motion - action movies, sports and that sort of thing. Not sure if it's true.

It seems like LED or Plasma is the way to go.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

hmmm, Best Buy is where I saw it, actually.

Nice TV ...

Here is a concise summary on the pros and cons of either choice: LCD vs Plasma
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

amazon has some really great prices on the panasonic S2 models, Panasonic TC-P58S2, and you can do 58" or 65", or smaller. Mistubishi has some really huge 3D DLP's, [60, 65, 73, 82"], and I currently own one of their 60".

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    amazon has some really great prices on the panasonic S2 models, Panasonic TC-P58S2, and you can do 58" or 65", or smaller. Mistubishi has some really huge 3D DLP's, [60, 65, 73, 82"], and I currently own one of their 60".
    I have a Mitsubishi 60 inch DLP right now. Most unreliable TV I've ever owned by a long shot. Picture is awesome but only 720 resolution so there is no difference in quality between a Regular DVD and Blue-Ray. Have sunk $800 - $1000 in repairs over the last three years. The TV is five years old. Would never buy another TV of this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    hmmm, Best Buy is where I saw it, actually.

Nice TV ...

Here is a concise summary on the pros and cons of either choice: LCD vs Plasma
    They had a small Sharp that seemed to be excellent quality but didn't have a big one. That's an interesting article - confirms what I saw in the store. Plasma had rich colors and more natural photo like picture. Some of those LED LCDs looked really nice though.

The deals at Best Buy look really good right now - pretty big mark downs.

Tri-type 639