User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default Dream car: shall I buy or not ?

I had the worst day in my life today. It wasnt hard or something, but a disappointment in humanity.

Short story: I've bought a Skoda Fabia II, 3 years ago. It costed 15ish new and I paied 4k right away. I financed the rest for 3 years and now I'ld have to pay 8k final rate and it would be my car. In the meantime tho, my gf bought a Toyota Yaris that has the same HP like my car (little bit less torque) but drives approx. 15 miles per gallon more (got a smaller engine but controlled cam shaft timing for efficient fuel injection [VVT-I] by toyota). I like the Toyota, it's a pragmatic compromiose between fun and fuel-efficient driving and it still has 4 years warranty.

So I decided to give my Skoda back and to not pay the last 8k. So I went to the car dealer today and they looked for damage. I knew there was a defect in the driver door, cause an idiot rammed his door in mine on the supermarket parking lot. So I'll prolly need to pay for a new door.

But it came better. They had a expert look at the car and he found a small buckle in the front and back apron. You cant even call it a buckle, cause the car needs to be polished and the sun needs to shine from the right angle so you may can see anything and I still havent seen a thing. The expert said, when he has the photos ready you'll see it more clearly.

I feel cheated on, it says in the contract that handling marks are excluded from the final sighting of the car. And since the car drove like 6k miles alone to France back and forth and even survived the traffic there, it's natural that there can be a buckle in the cheap Skoda plastic a pebble may have cause.

Now comes the really good part: the expert calculated that for front and back apron and driver door, this would be around 650 Euro * 2 + 350 Euro = easy 1650 Euro as in $2300 *rofl*.

So far so good, this was definitly a lesson for life that leasing a car is madness. Or in my case not leasing but financing without an overtake in the end. But and that is the thing I am frustrated about, the moment I left the car dealer they put my car on their internal market website for 11,230 Euro, saying the car is ready and can be taken right away. Tho if there would be real damage that needs to be fixed, it wouldnt be ready for the taking or like the frensh say, pret a porter wouldnt it ?

Bottom line, the car dealer pays 8k to the credit institute, 50 euro for fixing the defect in the paint on the driver door and get 11.23 k for it, what make a gain of 3.18 k right away, playing with their balls.

I felt eff'ed in every hole...

The thing is, I could get me a lawyer, but I am not insured against loosing the proceeding. I'll definitly go see one but the likelihood of winning is very slim, because the car dealer has more pull judging after the contract and he can say what is a handling mark and what not. Fact is the car is in perfect shape and for driving constantly for 3 years in dense city traffic I can pat myself on my own back I managed to conserve it in such good shape. It's just those Nazis that want to earn money.

So because I was pissed about this all day, I decided to buy me a new car. This is the wrong move, since I already have to pay a lot for the old one, but because I know entps are good at ruining the family and spending even more money helps me to forget, I thought I am gonna be loyal to my inner self:

So I found it, probably not your taste (probably not anyones taste but I am dreaming of one since I watched the movie Manta Manta ).

190 E 2.0, so called Baby-Benz:

Type: W201
    Displacement: 144 cui (2998 ccm)
    Performance: 97 kW ( 132 HP )
    Fuel: Gasoline
    Gear Box: Automatic (better than manual with old cars)
    Built in: 08 / 1987 (23 mtf years old )
    km/miles driven: 76,000 km / 47,223 miles

Price: 3,998 Euro / $ 5,540

I am so sold . I love that car, been my dream car since I was a boy. But does prolly need A LOT of attention in the next years. It was driven so far by a retired person and he didnt go very far with it. It was only seen Mercedes car dealers for maintenance and has had nothing so far. Totally awesome me thinks, one may not believe it, but if you search for similiar cars of this type, you'll find like 500 entries, it's a total solid old car, one of the best Mercedes ever built. They build it for 10 years so this car had a lot time to come to perfect. It easily goes about 400,000 km if prolly attended to.

Here's a picture of a 190 so you know what it is:

SO what do you think, shall I buy or shall I not ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    So because I was pissed about this all day, I decided to buy me a new car. This is the wrong move, since I already have to pay a lot for the old one, but because I know entps are good at ruining the family and spending even more money helps me to forget, I thought I am gonna be loyal to my inner self:
    This paragraph made me actually LOL.

190 E 2.0, so called Baby-Benz:

Type: W201
    Displacement: 144 cui (2998 ccm)
    Performance: 97 kW ( 132 HP )
    Fuel: Gasoline
    Gear Box: Automatic (better than manual with old cars)
    Built in: 08 / 1987 (23 mtf years old )
    km/miles driven: 76,000 km / 47,223 miles

Price: 3,998 Euro / $ 5,540
    I'm not seeing a downside here. A Benz with 47,000 miles and no repair history for $5,500 is a steal. "Owned by a retired person who didn't take it very far" sounds even better.

Good move, despite your best efforts at ruining the family.
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Haha, ya thanks . My girlfriend doesnt know about her luck yet and she will prolly forbid it, but if you have a shitty day like that you really need to do anything crazy to forget about that or things like that will make you go mad ( or set the car dealer on fire over night ).

I am just disappointed because this car dealer is a very down to earth company and they were always nice to us and we had a good relationship. I can understand that they still need to earn their money but what they did here was a ripoff. I am really very careful with cars and I doubt they often get cars back in that good shape after 3 years. I mean they even want to have 11.2 k for it, what is totally inappropiate after 3 years and a base price of 15 k. Then it has to be in awesome shape.

Ya well fuck that, a lesson learned in life. I am glad my Dad was there with me today, he nearly started a fist fight with the guys. My Dad has the capability to express physically what I am thinking
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

sounds good to me...it's less than paying off the other one and this is your dream car...you're saving close to 3k and getting something you'd rather have...i say good job man!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESFJ

So far the lesson i am not learning in life is 'Sod it, lets go for it' .. As i did today and will be feeling the repercussions on Monday.

I'd say sleep on it (not the car) and make a decision when you're not having a shitty day

Or Sod it, go for it .. Lol
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

No. Unless you have a dream to replace the old one.

As a cautionary, cars that haven't been driven much can also have problems, particularly since time erodes on hoses, gaskets and irritating little minor details. Unless you're a knowledgeable, hands-on weekend mechanic, this kind of stuff can eat away at your money, time and patience.

Limited movement can cause grooves in strange places in both areas of handling and performance.

MBTI
    INTj

An old car driven short distances at a time by someone too old to remember to change the oil? Sounds like a car that will spend more time at the mechanic than on the road.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

lol cars. this is my ride:

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I don't really have much of an opinion one way or another, I just think it's funny you posted a picture of a 190E 2.5-16v Evolution II as an example of what "a 190 looks like".