123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default For those 18-21 (ish)

I was wondering if anyone else in this particular age group has faced being generalized into the category of the stereotypical 18-21 year old.

Generalized as in assuming that you are just some kid, maybe going to college, but only to drink and party, and you care nothing about what happens around you and all you want to do is create chaos.

I've run into it a lot, where people don't necessarily take me seriously, and just assume I'm some dumb teenager looking to cause trouble...well, I'm not. You expect us to be adults, but in a sense still treat us like children? Maybe it's discrimination against the lack of life experience (which I can understand to an extent)?

Thoughts?

MBTI
    INFP

It's something you'll encounter, but people are always making judgements about you, and that's just one. Just change the subject or politely discourage further conversation with the person.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

No. Maybe I am not talking with enough people for that sake.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4~9

When I meet grownups I have never meet before they immediately start talking about partying. If they stay to dinner they wonder why I do not drink.. "Everyone at your age (20 almost) drinks blaaah". Why do people think that everybody drinks and do drugs???
    "...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
    Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
    "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland"
    "Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting"

- The City Of Bones

Here is my blog where I post my thoughts and feelings. Please have a go and comment if you like.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Umm....yeah? People generalize, it's just what they do. If you look like X you'll be generalized into whatever people think X is, and treated accordingly.

If you talk to people for more than 2 seconds though, they'll see beyond the generalizations, if you try.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Eh.
    All the older woman I work with (grocery store) have a snooty air about them, constantly saying condescending things - especially those who are up at the "Service Counter" - which, in reality, has them working in the same department but with no higher power, just a different job title than the rest of us "younger" people. It's irritating because most of them aren't educated beyond high school and rarely know how to operate the cash register as they've been away from them for so long. Most days I deal with them and the "you kids just drink and party and come into work hungover, sit there gossiping, and never get your job done" and laugh at it with the other teens there. But occasionally, when I'm in a bitchtastic mood, I point out that most of them chug back their boxed wine as they go back to their mediocre lives in their mediocre houses, cursing that day twenty years ago when they were hired - and never moved forward. It's cruel, but it's irritating to be thought of as stupid, childish, or irresponsible because I'm twenty.

I've noticed that depending on the place, "grownups" treats you differently according to who you are with. If you are with a gaggle of others your age, it's almost certain that you will be treated like the raging slutty party girl they assume you are. But if you are by yourself, then you are treated with respect.
    However, this is generally just first meetings or bad days. It's a bit disheartening at first to be cast aside as a child, but I suppose it's all about gaining respect over time proving that you aren't an idiot.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, but it isn't too big of a deal. You'll have to be exposed to generalizations at any age regarding face value I'd assume. It seems the 'safest' age group concerning this is around 25-49, though.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

When I was 18-21 a lot of people did that to me... But if you talk to them and are around them enough they'll see that you aren't the "typical" 18-21 year old. A woman in her 40s sat next to me in a class once and after being next to me for a couple of months asked me how old I was. When I told her I was 20 she said that she thought that was how old I was, but couldn't believe it because I was so mature already. I think it depends on the setting. She was used to being in classes with people that age that sat there and played with their phones, talked to other students while the teacher was lecturing, and goofed off on the computer. When they get around someone that doesn't fit that generalization it baffles them.

It's really no different from when I was 16 and thought my parents didn't know anything that I was dealing with in life... Lord was I wrong. People will think what they want until they are proven wrong.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    It's really no different from when I was 16 and thought my parents didn't know anything that I was dealing with in life... Lord was I wrong. People will think what they want until they are proven wrong.
    For the most part. Some people are too dumb to know they are wrong...It's best to just ignore such folk, but not when they have some sort of influence in your life (aka a professor whom I need to get on her good side in able to receive a 4.0 this semester)

MBTI
    I__P
    Enneagram
    4 sp

I haven't interacted enough with random people to have encountered such treatment.
    But, a bit related, I hate using a mobile phone in public because for some reason I start thinking that everyone who sees me using one thinks that I'm one of those young people that obsessively send text messages and stuff on their phone all the time, and then I feel embarassed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Teh annoying/boring.