User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't fit the description: though I do go to university [of Sydney, to be precise], I care for my studies like pets thanks in due part to my parent's expectations. I wish to be a little more relaxing, though...
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    ENTP

I honestly usually don't give anyone the option of thinking I party and drink all of the time. It doesn't take long talking to me before someone assumes I'm emotionally mature and know what I'm talking about. I've always been well respected by adults, although some dislike me because I intimidate them (in an effort to demonstrate that I'm not an idiot, I sometimes go overboard and make them realize that I am significantly better read than them about everything except for pop culture). I've never been taken for a silly, sluttish drunkard for any length of time. I dress stylishly but cover everything that should be covered and I try to speak eloquently and knowledgeably. I present a very perfect face to the general world. This is very tiring, but my Fe demands that I make everyone adore me! And when I fail, at least I've one upped them? Or something?
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else in this particular age group has faced being generalized into the category of the stereotypical 18-21 year old.

Generalized as in assuming that you are just some kid, maybe going to college, but only to drink and party, and you care nothing about what happens around you and all you want to do is create chaos.

I've run into it a lot, where people don't necessarily take me seriously, and just assume I'm some dumb teenager looking to cause trouble...well, I'm not. You expect us to be adults, but in a sense still treat us like children? Maybe it's discrimination against the lack of life experience (which I can understand to an extent)?

Thoughts?
    I have totally run into this, but I make them respect me by speaking really authoritatively, dressing nice, moving confidently and using a lot of Extroverted Thinking

I was wondering if anyone else in this particular age group has faced being generalized into the category of the stereotypical 18-21 year old. Generalized as in assuming that you are just some kid, maybe going to college, but only to drink and party, and you care nothing about what happens around you and all you want to do is create chaos.
    Definitely. Then again, I AM trying to create chaos.
    Most of us don't take the time to dismiss our generalizations or to investigate further, because we don't see much benefit for it compared to the enormous effort of discovering such complex systems.

Never mind being underrated, it's such a powerful tool in able hands.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't know myself whether or not I've been generalized, but I wouldn't doubt it given my standard attire. I think it's only somewhat natural to be associated with the stereotypical behavior of particular age demographic if you fit the description in terms of age and appearance, so even if I was I wouldn't think very much of it or them. People rely on stereotype because it's convenient and provides a sense of justification for the irrationality behind their thoughts and actions. That being said, I generally despise most people that do conform to those stereotypes, whether they do so directly or indirectly.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

I must admit I'm a pretty chaotic personality myself, but honestly, I've never really experienced the situation OP describes out of school (teachers and the administration love to treat us like babies). Frankly, I often want adults to treat me in a less serious manner than they do now. Perhaps, it's partly because I went on exchange last year, so parents and the people around me are used to me taking care of my stuff on my own. Except for the people in school, I'm certainly not the chaos bringing kid anymore. But yeah, they pretty much hate me at school, and it isn't without a reason- I really am a terrible kid - I only treat few teachers as authorities, deadlines are only approximate for me, I enjoy questioning what is being taught and playing devil's advocate. Luckily it's the last year at school and outside the school my reputation and attitude changes for about 180 degrees.
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i do drink and do drugs and cause chaos but most adults think i'm a nice respectable young lady. i wouldn't really care if someone assumed those things about me though. before 21 is your time to be young and dumb, you should embrace it before you get more responsibilities

Ginkgo

I was wondering if anyone else in this particular age group has faced being generalized into the category of the stereotypical 18-21 year old.

Generalized as in assuming that you are just some kid, maybe going to college, but only to drink and party, and you care nothing about what happens around you and all you want to do is create chaos.

I've run into it a lot, where people don't necessarily take me seriously, and just assume I'm some dumb teenager looking to cause trouble...well, I'm not. You expect us to be adults, but in a sense still treat us like children? Maybe it's discrimination against the lack of life experience (which I can understand to an extent)?

Thoughts?
    I KNOW! Just last month, I went to Costco to purchase Vaseline and cucumbers in bulk. People were looking at me like I was a hippie with shit all over me. Oh? So just because I'm a college student and a vegetarian, I'm a degenerate?

Their stereotypes are soo confining! Like, the other night, I was buying beer for high schoolers outside my local Circle K, and the clerk just assumed I was just some belligerent troglodyte, so he threatened to call the cops! Can you believe he would just let those children freeze to death without something warm in their bellies?

Some people...