User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I get that a lot, especially since I'll be turning 21 in about three weeks. People see me in uniform, or just on the street in civvie clothes, they all think I'm 25. Once they find out my age though, the start stuttering because they are usually ripping on 20 years olds for underage drinking, or just acting like idiots (I realize many "20-somethings" are not like that)

I know it's mean, but something in me dances in delight when someone else realizes that shoving someone into a category or sterotype makes an ass of them
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

No, but that's because I have a better sense of style than most of my peers, so people usually assume I'm older, or emotionally more mature.

It's strange what a piece of textile can do with what people think of you. I actually am:
    19 years old.
    Non-smoker.
    Chaotic and unmotivated.
    ENxP
    A social retard with a bad past.

People think I am:
    22 years old.
    Chain smoker.
    A good, serious and motivated student.
    IxxJ
    Socially completely normal with a completely normal life.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else in this particular age group has faced being generalized into the category of the stereotypical 18-21 year old.

Generalized as in assuming that you are just some kid, maybe going to college, but only to drink and party, and you care nothing about what happens around you and all you want to do is create chaos.

I've run into it a lot, where people don't necessarily take me seriously, and just assume I'm some dumb teenager looking to cause trouble...well, I'm not. You expect us to be adults, but in a sense still treat us like children? Maybe it's discrimination against the lack of life experience (which I can understand to an extent)?

Thoughts?
    You're an ESTP and your location is listed as 'Bumshag'. ESTPs tend to give off a vibe of mischief and mayhem, and if your listing reflects your attitudes in life those would be strong factors influencing "responsible adults" to not take you seriously (though really it is of course possible to be silly and serious/driven at the same time). I don't know you myself, so I can't make a definitive judgement on you, those are just suggestions. Sometimes you can be driven and serious, but not appear to be so. I don't think it's the case for all people. It's most likely the external image you express.
    JiNe
    Ti | Fi | Ne | Si | Te | Ni | Fe | Se
    Enneagram: 5w4 sx/sp

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

During those years I was too distracted to notice. Actually nope, I was well regarded at that age. I could have done so much yet did so very little. But yes in general that I can relate to in that respect the downplay of the importance of those years is relegated to poor views of the determination that is there and then indeed stereotypes happen. I remember this was especially true of young drivers driving motor vehicle. Just because statistically many have accidents while driving I was pulled over by the police more often. Also um, oh yeah the attitude was that generalised that teenagers are bad drivers etc. Of course my brother was and I took his speeding tickets. However me, nope, yet to be in an accident and am a responsible driver. These things happen, take them with a grain of salt and carry on.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Maybe. It doesn't really bother me.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't much mind it. I make generalizations too.. it's what people do. It creates a set base. Without generalizations, we're literally a blank slate. So, it's easier to be surprised with a young person outside of the stereotype than it is to encounter hundreds of young people that DO fit the stereotype, and create that individual basis for each one.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

it is fun to discover people. it is a lot of fun to meet somebody and have them redefine things for you and set frames- to have somebody define themself for you, that is very cool and a lot of fun!!

i guess it is easy to have stereotypes.... but just be true to your heart and hope for the best- treat everybody like a real powerful force of life, like somebody who can make waves and make worlds. be real and true to your heart and things work out pretty well i think.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by lucibelle View Post
    I haven't interacted enough with random people to have encountered such treatment.
    But, a bit related, I hate using a mobile phone in public because for some reason I start thinking that everyone who sees me using one thinks that I'm one of those young people that obsessively send text messages and stuff on their phone all the time, and then I feel embarassed.

Incase you haven't noticed everyone from 6 to 60 is on there phones. It has nothing to do with age anymore. Then again I live in a very tech savvy city.

Besides, I don't really care what older generations think about people being on there phones texting. It's a new generation and the ones that have a problem with that have simply failed to adapt - grow up.

With that being said if I'm with 18-21 year olds I act 18-21 years old. But I also effortlessly relate to older generations. I have many personal friends and meet a lot of people older than me and we view each other as equals. I don't really know what they see as "mature", I guess it's an old soul, good head on your shoulders, energy thing.

However, if an adult has a problem with me because of my age that's their problem and they can deal with it. Just because you're older than me doesn't mean to get my respect, you get it because I deem your character worthy of it. Age is ultimately of no value to me; neither is gender, race, culture, sexual preference, etc... I only use those things to know how to relate to the person, not make a judgmental stereotype. It's all about attitude. I'm an equal opportunity friend.
    You can call me Charles.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Most people around 18 may "look" like adults but their brains still have many years to fully mature(this is called the pruning process), which happens roughly in the mid 20s. The part of their brain that is still immature in 18 year olds is the frontal cortex, which governs planning ahead and insight. This is why many teenagers even at 18 are very risk-taking(in a bad way), the frontal cortex usually puts the brakes on behaviours like that, violent crimes also peak around that age too. This might explain why older people might look down on some of the behaviours of young people in late adolescence, but of course everyone is different and many teenagers are alot mature than some adults in their 50s and 60s even, but roughly risky behaviour seems to decrease around 24 or 25 for most people in general(when the brain is finished the pruning process).
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ESFP

Aww, don't fret. Once you grow up you'll realize this happens to everyone.