User Tag List

123 Last

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Default How old is too old for trick-or-treating?

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/moments...ating-2403664/
    Have you ever looked out your peephole and felt scared of a trick-or-treater? You're not alone. Mayor Mark Eckhert of Belleville, Ill., says he's heard a ton of complaints from frightened single mothers and senior citizens who are less than happy about the “6-foot-tall kids” that ring their doorbells on Halloween. His solution: To create an ordinance banning high-school teenagers—that is, anyone over the age of 12—from trick-or-treating.

"When I was a kid my father said to me, 'You're too damn big to be going trick-or-treating. You're done,’" Eckhert told ABC News. "When that doesn't happen, then that's reason for the city governments to intervene."

Intervening, in this case, means putting an age limit on trick-or-treaters, and threatening the over-12 set with a $100 fine for those who ignore the law—though, according to ABC, that fine has rarely, if ever, been actually meted out. And while some residents of Belleville have complained about the ordinance, it seems that many more are relieved. Trick-or-treat age limits have also been popular in townships in South Carolina, Mississippi, Maryland, and Virginia.
    However comforting these restrictions may be to some, we can't help but wonder: Are laws the right way to go when we're teaching kids about becoming better adults?

Because, honestly, many of us—myself included— were teenage trick-or-treaters. How it happened for me is probably less important than why (I can try to blame other factors, but the truth is, I just loved free candy). You know when you're aware that you are doing something wrong, but you do it anyway, hoping that you'll pass unnoticed? Well, I quickly learned I couldn't: “You gotta be kidding,” one neighbor said, staring sadly at my baby costume, slamming his door, and providing a necessary behavior adjustment all in one swift move.

While I learned my lesson through good, old-fashioned (and effective) humiliation, Eckhert and others believe that creating laws takes the guesswork away from those unclear about when they are no longer eligible for receiving treats. But not everyone is convinced that excluding teens from the relatively tame activity of trick-or-treating is a great idea. "Trick-or-treating in a large part is embraced in this country because it serves to cut down on teenage vandalism," University of North Dakota history professor and early traditions expert, Hans Broedel, told ABC News. "Certainly telling teenagers they can't go trick-or-treating isn't going to stop them from going out on Halloween and doing whatever."

What do you think? Should overage kids be legally banned from trick-or-treating? And how old is too old for trick-or-treating?
    What is your personal opinion on when it's time to give up trick-or-treating?

Personally, I find it kind of silly that there are rules being set up to ban teenagers from trick-or-treating. There are so many other things to worry about than to worry about a bunch of teens dressed in costumes, going door to door for candy like everyone else.

Besides, I wonder who decided that it was only for children up to a certain age?

Opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

You'd think that common sense would prevail where if you peek out and someone looks frightening, why would you open your door to them?

As far as another law, there are enough laws and what people need are not more laws particularly about trivialities.

And lastly, I personally think it's kind of cool that teenagers still have the big kid in them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

12 sounds about right. The last time I trick-or-treated I was 11.

MBTI
    ISTx

The cool thing about Halloween is that no matter how old you are, you can always do your best to dress like a little kid or infant... and then your involvement is justified.

figsfiggyfigs

Fuck that, if I was back in Canada, I'd still get my ass in a costume and trick-or-treat the hell out of my community.

I'd use my little sister as an excuse.

Proudly,

-The 22 yr old.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Why is there a stigma about older children trick or treating? Heck, I'm an adult, and I still think treat or treating sounds like fun. I wish there were adult trick or treating events. I never tire of free candy. Who's with me?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

12 and under is ridiculous. if 13-15 year olds aren't allowed trick or treat on halloween, a lot more of them are going to be going to parties and getting fucked up instead. 16 and under maybe, but is it really that big of an issue that a law needs to be made? if you think someone's too old to trick or treat and don't want to give them candy, you don't have to.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

This is just another ridiculous law proposed by a bunch of cretins. Most of us knows a twelve-year old who looks much older, hell I know a twelve-year old who is just shy of six feet. The last time I went trick or treating, I was eighteen years old and I'd still be doing it if I could get away with it. This is about the only time I envy midgets and non-midget short folk.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    http://shine.yahoo.com/event/moments...ating-2403664/

What is your personal opinion on when it's time to give up trick-or-treating?

Personally, I find it kind of silly that there are rules being set up to ban teenagers from trick-or-treating. There are so many other things to worry about than to worry about a bunch of teens dressed in costumes, going door to door for candy like everyone else.

Besides, I wonder who decided that it was only for children up to a certain age?

Opinions?
    My mom always gives the best candy to older kids. The little ones are thrilled with the experience and something basic, and the older ones are having fun without doing something dumb, plus they actually care about the candy aspect of the holiday.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Around 112 or so you should slow down a bit.