User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I didn't let my kids trick or treat for years because of the religious thing, but I came to the same conclusion you did, ceecee. If we can do church parties, what's the difference? So I started taking them trick or treating several years ago. I'm so glad I did. I feel really stupid for not doing it sooner, but hindsight and all that.

Our youngest is eleven this year, my fifteen year old is never going to make it to five feet tall, and my thirteen year old is just over five feet (and growing fast) so those three can go to the door. My 5'8" seventeen year old and I will wait on the sidewalk and then she will mug them of their booty like a good big sister.

Don't know what we'll be doing next year.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Teens are fine as long as they make an effort and don't show up at the door in jeans and a mask thrown on their heads to give some semblance of trick-or-treating. Those are the ones who are annoying. Some teens did have the best costumes ... and were so much fun at the door.

My kids went out until high school. As I remember, it was grade 8 & 9 where we discouraged them from going.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

A couple friends and I went as Christmas carolers in high school (sadly not my idea). Most people laughed when they opened the door and we were wearing scarves and mittens and Santa hats singing 'we wish you a merry Christmas' and gave us candy. But that was pushing it. Really the only reason it was ok was the clever costume.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4~9

We have Lent, and the day after Shrove Sunday, kids get dressed up and go door to door asking for money... Yes, Danish people are greedy, i know..
    "...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
    Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
    "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland"
    "Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting"

- The City Of Bones

Here is my blog where I post my thoughts and feelings. Please have a go and comment if you like.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

It should end when grade school ends.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What?! You've got to be kidding me! As long as there are treats being passed out, no age is too old!

ReflecTcelfeR

If there is a reason to have children besides biological necessity it's this: To go Trick or Treating with them. I maintain that if they eat too much candy alone they'll get cavities (love that trick). I'm 19 and haven't trick or treated since I was 11. I don't like wearing costumes, I do find it goofy... Though I love acting. It's not really a conundrum if you look at it right .

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I Trick-or-Treated until I was 18, but I would still do it to this day if I had friends willing to accompany.
    If you've made the effort to put a costume together and brave the potential embarrassment of going door-to-door, you damned well deserve to get some candy from random strangers! There are people who will throw on a mask just because they want some candy, but there are also those who have taken time to embrace the Halloween spirit. I'd be elated if an adult came to my house in awesome attire.

There are people who like to say "Pff go find a party to go to", but I think those people forget how good it feels to have people you don't know enjoying what you've dressed up as. The sharing-is-caring theme goes well here. It would also come down to a point of saying people are too old to dress up for Halloween, which I find silly.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I used to love trick or treating, until I started going to parties, which was about last year.

I think once you're old enough to 'technically' start partying (or drinking, to replace the feel-good feeling of eating a bunch of candy ) then it just seems a little more childish, but I trick or treated until I was 17. I found it to be super fun to see people's reactions to us and how a bunch of them didn't even bother to give us candy!

That age is different for everyone. You don't even have to party, just do something else fun.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Teens are fine as long as they make an effort and don't show up at the door in jeans and a mask thrown on their heads to give some semblance of trick-or-treating. Those are the ones who are annoying.
    or...showing up at 11:30 p.m. wearing ski masks! I read that some of these teens were doing this. If this is the case, why would you open the door??
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~