User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Identity

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    Where do you derive your sense of identity from?
    Relativity to other people, society, and to an extent the media. Sad but true. I judge reactions I get as a result of my actions from the world around me, and compare it to those of others and how they react to the reactions to their actions. I combine my own judgment with things that others tell me, and try to create a reasonable balance.

Is identity a history of events/experiences?
    I don't think so. I mean events/experiences can certainly change/affect your identity. But this history of events is more like.. a timeline of your life, than your actual identity. Perhaps the way you perceive them is a reflection on your identity.

Is it one's values?
    I think most people's values change over time. I think your identity influences what you value. At the same time, what you value can influence your identity as what drives you will change what you want and what you do, which is intertwined with who you are.

How do you feel when you do something out of character? How do you think that affects your sense of identity?
    If I do it, it's me. I don't really feel the need to maintain a consistent image of myself. I just do whatever I feel like doing lol.

Whenever I do something that is out of character for me I will feel a deep sense of guilt...like I'm losing my identity bit, by bit. These days I feel very hollow....I don't know who I am anymore.
    I find that very bizarre lol. Is it wrong to experience growth and change?

Which is frightening since my identity is the only thing that gives me a sense of control over the future.
    How? And how do you know that it is possible to control your future?

And I crave security. I often wonder if there is such a thing as a sustainable state of peace of mind. Being completely at peace with things.

I wonder if peace can only be attained with no sense of identity, no sense of ego.
    Being at peace with things requires that you have no need for security or control.

... Feel like a robot.
    Maybe I do feel kind of like a robot sometimes. I mean there are certain things I know I prefer and there's a certain way I tend to act that won't immediately change unless something drastic happens in my life to change my POV and habits. But the way I see it, I'm just another part of nature. I mean I was born and equipped with certain genes and predisposed behavioral tendencies which combine with the events and experiences I've had in my life to make me the person I am today. However, so is anything else in the world, such as a tree, or a rock, or another person. A tree isn't going to stay the same forever. One day a lightning storm might crack it in half, or a family of insects might start eating part of it. Even a non-living rock's particles will be worn down, compressed, and rearranged with time.

Rather than thinking all the time about what separates me from the rest of the world, since I figure I'm kind stuck in it, it makes more sense to me to consider myself as more like a functioning limb of the world. After all, I came from the world, all I'm going to do is move around and do stuff within the world, and when I die I'm going to return to the world/be buried in the earth. So using this same way of reasoning, if I change with things around me, then I can never be destroyed. It's not that I have entirely no identity, it's just that it's very, um, expansive.

In the same way everyone should be allowed to be who they want and change to become who they want, you should also allow yourself to do what comes naturally. To go against what is meant to become or to force yourself into a set image will only bring you discomfort and will imbalance the harmony in your life.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I've recently realized my biggest fear is that of losing my identity. There's this beautiful saying out there, that some people will share with me, of how life is all about distilling your identity. That goes against my very idealistic nature though. Whenever I do something that is out of character for me I will feel a deep sense of guilt...like I'm losing my identity bit, by bit. These days I feel very hollow....I don't know who I am anymore. Which is frightening since my identity is the only thing that gives me a sense of control over the future. And I crave security. I often wonder if there is such a thing as a sustainable state of peace of mind. Being completely at peace with things.

I wonder if peace can only be attained with no sense of identity, no sense of ego.
    i think i have always been trying to escape my identity and get away from myself, so i guess you and i are opposite in that way. i feel very "Hollow" and lost when i get too deep into an identity for myself. i get an amazing feeling when i do something that seems "out of character", like a giddy silly kind of happiness!!

when i was a kid i had such a giant identity, like a cult of personality more than an identity-- my nickname was King Dan, that is true! then when i was a teen i got pretty sick of that, and i think i was trying to find some way to live completely without any sense of myself. and i am still trying to do that somewhat, live without a identity, but i think it is tempered for me now.

i have always had a pretty giant ego and love for myself.
    keep the love and loose the definitions, that is what i want.

MBTI
    INFP

My identity comes from my work ethic. I try really hard at work and never miss a day, never show up late. Knowing I'm a good team player at work makes me feel good.

Also, from being my boyfriend's girlfriend. We are the best couple ever and I love being a part of that.

And then there's me as a woman. I get in touch with her by listening to music, reading, watching movies, walking, dancing..

And to express myself as a person.. I post.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

My struggling about my own identity was one of the main motives to get in touch with typology. In fact, there is no boundary to my personality; I have no goal I clearly want to achieve, no ideology, no ethic, no field which is interesting me in an extraordinary way and, although I have quite a many friends, nobody is close enough to me that I would say I'm personally attached to him/her in any way. That means I live in constant fear of "losing myself" because there is just nothing I can grasp to be sure that I'm still myself. I only can perceive my actions and predict out of that who I am, but even that is really difficult due to a extreme ambivalence in it. Because of that, I'm never really sure whether I acted "out of character" or not - I just don't know many trait which I'm sure of that I have them not( INTP is just how I MOSTLY am, and I'm not even really sure about that).
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy