User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: see the world! sail the world!

Oh gosh .. Morocco and Africa *sigh* The culture, the architecture.
    I went to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands .. Underrated i found, although nice harbour.
    Ibiza was beautiful but i went before it became the clubbing capital of the world.
    I would like to check out Calgary and see the Rockies, i also like the idea of the picturesque olde English suburbia.
    How did you find Scotland? I was in Edinburgh a year ago this weekend and as the plane was coming in to the airport, the scenery was astounding, the autumn leaves turning red, the buildings encapsulating the different periods.
    In England itself, there was some gems, they are just well hidden (Me included, lol)

I think this is why i love talking to people from all round the world, especially Biaxident because suddenly i get a glimpse of something (be it structure/scenic of something completely breathtaking). There is so much beauty in the world and it's taken for granted.

Sailing has never appealed to me, altghough i'd give it a try .. My issue would be that i would have a lot of time to introspect, and i enjoy becoming absorbed in the beauty amongst me .. Water is water wherever you are, lol.

I do understand what you mean though about a tight budget. Sometimes more fun can be had that way. Who wants to stay in a 5* hotel when you can rough it in an hostel, surrounded by likeminded people all looking for their own adventure.

The ideal situation .. Me, a rucksack, my passport (and visas), a bit of cash and a lot of imagination.

I wish you luck, happiness and a safe journey on your travels .. And take pictures so i can admire from afar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    right on!!
    i really want to go to Algiers and Tunisia and morocco and north africa. i have never been to africa. i remember when i was a kid i read Camus and then i decided i was in love with N. Africa after that, hahaha.... and then when i found out more about it later it was much much better!! did you like the canary islands? they seem like they would be really really amazing to me....
    did you like Ibiza? i feel like i am not cool enough to go to Ibiza, haha.
    i have been to canada a lot, it is an awesome place.
    i went backpacking in scotland, but i never went to England.

i guess that some people see sailing as a real rich-man's hobby.... i am not rich for sure.... the sailing people i have known have always been the wicked-poor boatsmen, not the posh yachters... i have always known the boating class that is afraid of credit-cards and hates banks and realizes that bathing is SUPER OVERRATED. haha!!

i have always found it really easy to travel and have amazing adventures with no money, but i guess it is super easy when you LOWER YOUR STANDARDS and love it more when things are crazy and harsh and messed up. i have to raise the bar for the safety of my family, but my wife and i are both basically hippies.......
    i do think it can be easy for some people to see travel as being real prohibitively expensive, but i have always found that when you really seize it and are DEDICATED to making life happen it is very very cheap to travel.
    but like i said, low standards++
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

8w9 sx/sp

That sounds really exciting Kingfisher!! Especially how you'll be visiting old friends by boat! That's going to be an amazing experience.

I've been to a couple places in the northern U.S., Ontario, and many countries in Europe. My favourite places so far have been Rome and Nice, France.

Thiscoming summer I'll be travelling to Asia with my friends. It's going to be a lot of fun because I've never been to Asia in my life. We'll be going to Japan, then Taiwan, then I'll be spending a month with my bf in Korea, which is going to be awesome because we won't have seen one another for over a year. Sometime during the trip I'll be going to Hong Kong and Beijing as well! Can't wait~ It's my grad trip for completing high school.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Lay the coin on my tongue Array SilkRoad's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Vasilisa – I LOVE that quote. I have read Invisible Cities and enjoyed it, but it was years ago.

Kingfisher – that sounds like an incredible adventure. Be safe and have an amazing time.

I have been fortunate to travel quite a lot. The travel bug bit me at an early age. My dad is Canadian and I grew up in Canada but my mom is Finnish and we used to go to Finland every summer till I was 15, when my grandmother died. We also travelled in Europe at those times. We went to communist Russia (then Leningrad) when I was six…I still remember a lot about it. What a crazy experience at such a young age. We did a mini-grand tour of Europe when I was seven going on eight. France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, Austria, Sweden.

I moved to Dublin when I was 23, lived there for three years and have now lived in London for five years. London is one of the best places in the world to travel from. In recent years I’ve been to, among other places: France, Italy, Czech Republic, Romania, Hungary, Germany, Morocco, Egypt, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. I’ve also travelled in Britain and Ireland, of course. Most of those trips were pretty short, even just a few days, but some were a week or a few weeks.

I sort of think of myself as a homebody with a very strong sense of adventure. I don’t see myself totally dropping off the map and travelling for a year or whatever. I think it would be too disruptive to other aspects of my life. I do like to be settled in one place for long periods. But I love experiencing the new and exciting and beautiful. I like being pushed out of my comfort zone by travel. It seems to release another part of me which doesn’t always make an appearance otherwise. When I travel I generally become more energetic, adventurous, happy and generally crazy

A few fragments from some of my favourite trips include:

Australia – watching the sunrise over Uluru, a lifelong dream; sleeping outside in the Western Desert; night swimming in Perth with a good friend I knew from Canada, and some of her friends; Manly Beach outside Sydney, still one of my favourite places in the world.

New Zealand – seeing locations from the Lord of the Rings films; a wildlife tour which included seeing giant albatross flying, penguins just a few feet away, etc.

Prague – probably still the most beautiful city I have ever seen, every street I looked down was like a dream

Rome – a nearly perfect week with one of my best friends: the Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, antiquities galore, my favourite paintings by Caravaggio, the Sistine Chapel, etc etc…and the best food, coffee, wine, and some gorgeous policemen…occasionally we still post on each other’s Facebook pages or whatever “amazing art, antiquities, coffee, wine, food, hot policemen…ahhhhh”

Morocco – overnight in the Sahara; exploring the souk in Marrakech; amazing and cheap food

Egypt – hanging out with Yemenis; having a firecracker chucked under our feet in the bazaar and living to laugh about it; nearly getting kicked out of the Egyptian Museum because I made my friend laugh when he was taking a drink of water and it sprayed everywhere; the most beautiful park at sundown with the call to prayer and the kind of evening light which made us all look like movie stars; martinis and moonlit nights; etc etc

Most recent trip to Germany – going to the world hockey championships in Cologne courtesy of my journalist brother; staying in a 5 star hotel in Wiesbaden for two days and being treated like royalty, courtesy of the same brother who I was travelling with. Another Germany trip (a country where I always have such an interesting time) - went to Berlin and it turned my head around, such a strange and bewildering city.

Man, it is an amazing world out there. You know somewhere else I really want to go? Antarctica
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

L'anima non dimora Array Donna Cecilia's Avatar

Chile is indeed a good idea. I have my lifelong friend there.

I live in Montevideo, Uruguay.

If you need any regional data, just message me.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post

have any of you guys traveled the world a lot?
    I wish I could say yes to this, but I can't. I've seen the underworld of many places though. I have a lot of life experience in general, but traveling the world hasn't happened for me yet.

do any of you have cool travel stories and adventures?
    Well, I definitely have plenty of stories, but travel stories aren't one of them. Although one time my best friend and I decided that it would be a good idea to do shroomz in the slums of TJ Mexico... Big... Big mistake that was, but it was quite an adventure.

my wife and kids and i are going to sail the world for the next few years. i am stoked! it is going to be great. we are leaving in a couple weeks.
    Damn, that sound freakin awesome king. Does this mean you're not gonna be around here for a while?

if any of you guys want to meet up with my wife and i, let me know! that would be super cool. let me know and i will send you my email address. i love to meet people++
    i would love to hang out with you guys, have a few beers or lemonades, listen to some good music and good conversation!
    If your gonna be in South America, might as well cruise on up to North Long Beach, CA. I'll be here, let me know King.