User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I thought you had to ask each God only one question?
    No. Read carefully. Three total questions, to ask to any of them. Three total... not three each.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    No. Read carefully. Three total questions, to ask to any of them. Three total... not three each.
    Exactly. You could ask one god all three questions, one god two, another one, and the last none, or one for each. There are no restrictions in this regard.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    OMNi

No, that isn't what I was saying. It seems to me that these directions contradict each other.

each question must be put to exactly one god
    * It could be that some god gets asked more than one question (and hence that some god is not asked any question at all).
    The first sounds like you have to ask each God one question, the other says that you can ask a God more than one question. So which is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Exactly. You could ask one god all three questions, one god two, another one, and the last none, or one for each. There are no restrictions in this regard.
    It seems I can't even figure out the directions. Maybe I should leave the puzzles to the pros.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Kill each one of them with The Subtle Knife, then check their IDs in their wallets. (See? Simple!)
    Yeah, I'm going to go with this solution. My first instinct was to charm my way into the good graces of two of the three gods. That might have been enough to solve the problem,

Although suprisingly I might know the answer as this is very similar to the Elf always tells the truth, the orc always lies and the dwarf does whatever the hell he wants riddle.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

In general how this seems like it will work (I've been trying this for awhile and can't figure it out, so will write this to pretend to be helping out. :

One question will not give information by itself, so questions have ot be constructed to give information with and answer from another question 9or both questions)

Random is the biggest mess (since Random has a chance to act like True or False, as well as acting Random, which messes up the questions a bit.)to figure out, but if you can figure out which one is random on the first two questions, you can figure out what "Ja;' and "Na" mean, since you can ask a question that both True and False will give the same, known answer to, and provided random was asked the right questions, this might be the way to work out who is who.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    In general how this seems like it will work (I've been trying this for awhile and can't figure it out, so will write this to pretend to be helping out. :

One question will not give information by itself, so questions have ot be constructed to give information with and answer from another question 9or both questions)

Random is the biggest mess (since Random has a chance to act like True or False, as well as acting Random, which messes up the questions a bit.)to figure out, but if you can figure out which one is random on the first two questions, you can figure out what "Ja;' and "Na" mean, since you can ask a question that both True and False will give the same, known answer to, and provided random was asked the right questions, this might be the way to work out who is who.

Random anything is always the worst. To wit the worst odds are 50/50 becuase you can't predict the result.

MBTI
    xNTP

Does anyone know any slightly (but not by too much) less tough riddles? They are the perfect brain food while I write this paper.
    Yeah, there's and elf, orc, dwarf one that is similar to the one Merk presented yet a teeny bit easier to solve. Unfortunately I don't know it offhand and am too lazy to look it up.

MBTI
    INTP

One question. If Truth is always right, can he correctly predict the answers given by Random? For example if one of the questions was, will B agree with your answer, will Truth know which way Random will then answer?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    One question. If Truth is always right, can he correctly predict the answers given by Random? For example if one of the questions was, will B agree with your answer, will Truth know which way Random will then answer?
    Wow, now that is thinking outside the box.

But how will you ever know you are talking to Truth? Random is the easiest to decipher.
    That's a good point. I don't think you could ask one God three questions because they could end up being Random. You would have to ask...

One God 2 questions, the next God 1 question, and the last no questions

Or

You would have to ask all three God's 1 question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Of course. Anything he says is the truth. If you ask him about anything (as long as thy question is a yes-no question), his response will always be 100% true.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp