User Tag List

First 789

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

In theory, I dislike the social threads and move towards sanctioned popularity measures like reputation. In practice, however, it just means there are more threads I won't bother opening, and more gadgets I will disable and/or ignore. I'm not a social circle type person. Stuff goes on, I probably won't notice, and if I do, I probably won't care.
    "Having is not such a pleasing thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." --Spock

MBTI: INTP
    Enneagram: 5w6 - SP/SX
    Oldham: Solitary, Idiosyncratic

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    That's not how the rep seems to go overall, (and my rep doesn't seem to have gone that way.)
    Well, I started a thread about it, so we'll see.

I would disagree with you heavily that there is one single hierarchy that people will be following here, or in a lot of forums, there seem to be more a mix of 'soft hierarchies", at most, where some people get slightly more respect in some areas, but the only time where this is seriously different from people's actual skills or knowledge in that area is where popularity contest type stuff occurs.
    I didn't mean to imply that there was only one hierarchy. I don't think such a thing ever really exists. When I said "hierarchy" I meant "hierarchical structures." Better?

I don't see the rep system, personally, as doing anything that was not already happening on the forum, but the overall popularity contest effect is to increase the "hierarchy" without adding possible benefits to one.
    I cited a few of the benefits (fun, allogrooming, intimacy). Do you disagree?

MBTI
    INFP

And you know.. I catch myself participating in the fluff threads more and more often.. Some of them have made me laugh for the first time in a long time, and I now can appreciate what people mean when they say the FZ is good for getting to know eachother.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    And you know.. I catch myself participating in the fluff threads more and more often.. Some of them have made me laugh for the first time in a long time, and I now can appreciate what people mean when they say the FZ is good for getting to know eachother.
    I don't think anyone thinks fluff is bad (I hope not), but some people are frustrated with discussion-based threads getting horribly derailed with fluffy posts or just general derailments of more "serious" threads.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks fluff is bad (I hope not), but some people are frustrated with discussion-based threads getting horribly derailed with fluffy posts or just general derailments of more "serious" threads.
    I can see where that would be an irritation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

I moderated on a forum for a number of years. The basic policy we had was that there were different forum sections for different topics and as long as you posted within those guidelines pretty much anything goes.

The rules we used were simple enough, no flaming each other, and no creating threads that would lead to anything but a flame war. We had a number of other's but they were specific to that type of forum, and wouldn't apply here at all.

Threads were split when things got off topic at the thread starters request.

Threads started in the wrong area were moved.

Posts by members in threads were edited out completely if they didn't follow the rules and they were deemed to be posting there only to troll and start fights. Theres a fine line here in regards to someone expressing their opinion and someone just out to cause problems. Attacking specific members were instantly deemed offensive. Fights between two members were acted on and the offenders were told to keep it to PM's. Whether it was the first person stating their opinion or the next person attacking that opinion on a personal basis. We kept copies of the original posts in a separate moderator forum in threads named after the offending member as a rap sheet and used that to keep track of their offenses for use in warnings and ban's. The purpose of keeping the rap sheets was so that when someone was banned we had concrete evidence to go by in justifying it.

Threads that got out of hand were locked down and a warning was issued, much like what happened here with one of the awards threads. If people didn't get the msg and started up again after it was unlocked. It got moved to a section of the forum that only moderators could access. We never deleted a thread.

All in all it worked pretty well, especially considering the forum was for a online video game, and the majority of the posters were teenagers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    ISTx

Where's a dating thread? I'm single and ready to mingle.

jk...

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Hello all
    That's presumptuous of you.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Hello all,

This isn't a rant, but a genuine attempt to set out my thoughts on these sort of threads. There has been a thread discussing "fluff" with some... frank.. views on both sides as to what is and isn't healthy.

Just seems to me, that once we start having the combination of post count titles, reputation based on sprinkling around "happy" comments, threads to celebrate who is at the social heart of the groupings, and dating polls etc we are in danger of overwhelming the forum. New members are likely to feel held back by the feeling of an existing "clique" (real or imagined)... awards distance those who don't win them, and in order to be popular encourage large scale posting and dispensing of reputation.

All, in all, it just seems the character is changing... perhaps I am just turning into an old grumpy cynic.. maybe it is even a culture thing - we English don't like to celebrate ourselves to such an extent, and prefer an element of distance, I suspect..

This is not me writing in any "official" capability, just personal opinion.
    None of the fluff bothers me. I rather enjoy them! Also, I don't worry about reputation or cliques... I have learned that if someone enjoys my posts, they'll respond. If they don't, than I know! I do enjoy the rep responses, though. The positive feedback does makes me smile, because some of the responses have been so humorous! I could live with or without the points though... but it is interesting that I am now overflowing with awesomeness! (it took me a long time to get there!)
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Why doesn't this sort of thing happen at INTPc? I believe know why, I'm just curious of other's responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Why does the Fluff argument not happen at INTPc?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    INTPs don't have a problem with fluff because they mostly don't DO fluff.
    Where did this myth come from? Over the years INTPc has had loads of threads complaining about awards, too many derailments, too much happy/attention whoring/one-liners/silliness/jokes/cliques/flamewars and not enough deep, intellectual posting. It ebbs and flows there like anywhere else.

Popularity contests, fluff etc happen because people want it to happen, and hadn't people wanted it, it would have been much more quiet in the fluff zones.

That said, I see how even a small minority of fluffers could easily ruin serious discussion, and agree that it's important to limit it to certain areas. Some sort of labeling, or just stating what level of fluff you want the OP of a thread seems like a good idea. Ways to only see certain types of threads another. Bitching about exactly what happens inside the fluff areas however, I can't understand. (Not addressed to you, Geoff, but I've seen it in other threads.) I'm personally rather indifferent to award threads, but I think it's hopeless to fight it. Far too many people seem to want them, and like sub said, it's impossible to limit such things without excluding people. It's better to simply make it easier for people who don't like them to avoid those kinds of threads by not making them appear in "new posts" or similar.

And lastly: When will the fluff zone change name to "The Playground"? I want to play, not admit that I'm creating fluff. (We should stop using the term "fluff" so freely by the way. Fluff is something that gets in the way. Fluff in a fluff zone isn't really fluff at all, unless it's a discussion about cognitive functions surfacing in a thread named "Pink bunnies attack".
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA