User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    It's too uptight for my tastes. Very SJ which I am clearly not.
    Do you have any suggestions? We're trying to find solutions not subtlety insult each other.

MBTI
    INFJ

It's too uptight for my tastes.
    But are your tastes all that matter here?

Very SJ which I am clearly not.
    Trying to insult me or something ?

I think the problem is not with fluff, but with the popularity contests. I wouldn't make any, though I don't deny that I look in on them occasionally.

I think popularity contests and the rep system are a different category unto themselves. Under a broad label, they are "fluff," but they're a different kind of fluff. They're exclusive fluff. They are, as you proposed, Geoff, "a fluff too far." I enjoy the inclusive fluff, which is to say, most fluff, but I don't enjoy the exclusive fluff. I know it can be demoralizing (as well as moralizing, but only to those included, which tends to be, as someone else said, a very small pool of people).

The dating threads... I haven't really looked in those. I feel like they're an inside joke that I didn't see the start of, so I don't really know what's going on. That doesn't mean I won't stop in with a random comment sometime, though.

Fluff is great! As long as it's in its proper place. "A place for everything, and everything in its place." Sex is good too, but you don't talk about it during a conference with your professor. I think that if the thread starter has certain objectives for the thread, they should be respected. As Wandering said, it's like having requests for how others behave in your home. In the case of the poster who wants only serious discussion in her thread, and explicitly says so, the people itching to behave fluffily can just go somewhere else; there are plenty of threads and places that welcome fluff.

However, fluff, I think, has an incomplete, fuzzy definition. When someone says "No fluff," does that mean no jokes? I personally would never want no jokes in my thread, but I would like most of the posts, if not all, to relate to my topic, if only loosely. Is fluff only stuff that derails a thread? I think fluff can derail a thread or stay relatively on-topic.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Sometimes fluff threads are the most intellectually and creatively stimulating.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    But are your tastes all that matter here?
    You asked me and I answered.

Trying to insult me or something ?
    You and protean misunderstood that. Totally not my intention. I am simply saying that I don't like labels and I don't see why anything needs to change. Fluff zone and Bonfire are liberal areas, are they not? I certainly have enough common sense not to enter a thread on Infinity and start discussing my hair color. Are things that undefined on here?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Sometimes fluff threads are the most intellectually and creatively stimulating.
    I agree. The rapid-fire wit and satire in many of them would easily beat some of the talking-horse-shit conceit you get sometimes in the serious threads, if they were pitted against each other in a quality/intelligence contest. Which wouldn't be a popularity contest... not exactly... heh...

Jen I think they were talking about labelling threads not in the Fluff zones, saying whether the person starting them was up for a bit of banter and batting around or whether they preferred to stick to the subject. I'm a chronic derailer, even though I've been REALLY gritting my teeth and trying so damn hard not to derail, I still find myself doing it without even meaning to sometimes. If there were a label like that, I think it'd probably help remind me, and also increase motivation for me not to do so, because if I derailed a thread that was clearly labelled, I'd feel like I was disrespecting the person when they'd clearly and respectfully asked for no fluff. People can have any number of reasons for wanting to stick to the topic

Actually while we're on the subject of derailing... there's a particular kind of derailing that often happens, but which seems to be tolerated and indeed encouraged, sometimes even by madmins... it's the kind when a person starts a thread asking a question or using an example, and people become fixated on the example rather than the point it's clearly supposed to be illustrating, and often it degenerates very quickly into an insulting match against the person who started the thread and all the assumptions of what kind of person they 'must' be for what they said in the OP and lots of other judgemental stuff. And the question they asked or the main point they wanted to discuss never gets mentioned until about ten pages later when all the insults have calmed down. By which point, they're too nervous to dare saying anything in case they get jumped on again.

I'm sure we can all think of examples (even recent ones) where that's happened. But when the thread starter tries to protest against it, they generally get a chorus back of yet more value judgements against them personally, saying like y'know, if they're gonna go asking these questions or wording things like that they should expect to be jumped on etc. - nobody seems to pick up that it's actually a totally disrespectful and rude derailing of what might've been a valid point.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ

You asked me and I answered.
    I was trying to *further* the discussion

I don't see why anything needs to change.
    Because some people are not happy with the way things have changed. That's not necessarily a good enough reason to change things, but I do think it's a good enough reason to think about how things are now and how we could maybe improve them.

Are things that undefined on here?
    I think so, yes. We wouldn't be having this discussion otherwise, I think.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    I was trying to *further* the discussion

Because some people are not happy with the way things have changed. That's not necessarily a good enough reason to change things, but I do think it's a good enough reason to think about how things are now and how we could maybe improve them.

I think so, yes. We wouldn't be having this discussion otherwise, I think.
    Let's further the discussion then. You joined in December of last year so for you not much has changed. Where have you noticed fluff in a non fluff area? My intention is not to insult anyone. I am trying to understand what the problem is as I think you and others are making too big a deal of this. Is this directly affecting you and if not why are you concerned with this topic?

Why doesn't this sort of thing happen at INTPc? I believe know why, I'm just curious of other's responses.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

My apologies to alean. I did not know that Wolf himself requested this.
    it should be your appologies since her name is aelan!

he he he he.......
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    it should be your appologies since her name is aelan!

he he he he.......
    hahaha! Quit fluffing around!