User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    lol So you do have a sense of humor? Without hearing your tone I can't really tell. I didn't take it as a personal attack, but I suppose I am jaded with the fluff topic.
    Sort of like labeling threads? If so, I don't like that idea but I am one person.
    I have a sense of humour, I think it's a little different

Ok, so you don't like the labelling idea (which wasn't mine, by the way, but I do like it...)

Do you have any helpful alternative suggestions? Are you happy with the status quo?

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    At the end of the day these sorts of complaints do seem to come across to me somewhat like the bitter intellectuals who are just pissed off because the people in the party room are having more fun despite being insipid, inferior beings (sic). Or perhaps, of people who like to hide in the Internet as an escape from reality, complaining because the forums are beginning to look a bit more like... well, reality.
    This is it exactly. I think that some people wish that this were an intellectual forum free of any social behavior, because social behavior divides and gets messy. But I think the fluff is just a natural result of people occupying the same space for any length of time. Sociability is like water...it's going to get in all the cracks and it's going to invade places you think it can't go. For example, if we eliminated the Fluff Zone (which I understand no one is advocating, I'm just making a point), then fluff would appear on the most intellectual threads. It would find a way.

Now, if someone wanted to argue that we don't have to encourage it with things like the rep system, then that is a valid argument. But make no mistake...cliques and levels of popularity would evolve here without the rep system, without awards, and without dating threads. It's just human nature.

Lastly, calling people and their thoughts "insipid" and the like is no way to bring them around to your point of view. Fluff is not an indicator of intellect, it's an indicator of sociability. And insults like that make you sound condescending and humorless.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I have a sense of humour, I think it's a little different
    How so?

Ok, so you don't like the labelling idea (which wasn't mine, by the way, but I do like it...)
    So who can we thank for this then?

Do you have any helpful alternative suggestions? Are you happy with the status quo?
    Lets be specific. I don't think the thread about Wolf was great. He has low self esteem as it is and this wasn't well thought out imo. No offense to alean as I know her heart was in the right place. My awards thingy was meant to be light and fun, but was ruined in a day. I've backed off a bit as I don't feel comfortable posting right now. I come here to chill and participate with different MBTI types. I just didn't realize that there was a problem and thought that we were all adults who could come together as well as pick and choose our discussions. I avoid people irl I'm not too fond of so I don't see why online should be any different.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INXP

How so?

Lets be specific. I don't think the thread about Wolf was great. He has low self esteem as it is and this wasn't well thought out imo. No offense to alean as I know her heart was in the right place. My awards thingy was meant to be light and fun, but was ruined in a day. I've backed off a bit as I don't feel comfortable posting right now. I come here to chill and participate with different MBTI types. I just didn't realize that there was a problem and thought that we were all adults who could come together as well as pick and choose our discussions. I avoid people irl I'm not too fond of so I don't see why online should be any different.
    The difference between your humor and my humour will be obvious to u if u think about it a little harder

The labelling idea came from whatever a little earlier in the thread (I think)...

I fully agree that people can avoid discussions they don't like, and I think you have a very valid point there - although with the rider that this is like a social discussion where everyone is present all of the time... so the character of a few people chatting on one thread, or for that matter being all intellectual and high falutin' on a thread.. is seen by others and characterises the expectations and directions of others.

Mind you, it isn't easy to just avoid discussions if a "serious" thread descends into a few pages of social banter... as I think prpl made the point it might be a good thing sometimes, in fact, but it does change the character.

Hmm... I should ponder this more.

Sounds like you are happy with the status quo, thank you for the feedback.

Maybe the solution is to just grit our teeth occasionally

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think that was Wandering's idea.

Lets be specific. I don't think the thread about Wolf was great. He has low self esteem as it is and this wasn't well thought out imo. No offense to alean as I know her heart was in the right place.
    If I recall correctly, Wolf did request the thread in the one she started for Magic. His vote was for the option that said "can you set this up for me?" and she asked if he was serious, to which he replied "sure." So I don't think aelan can be blamed for it. She was careful to point out that she was only starting those threads for people who wanted them. I have no problem with that, the awards thread, or any of the other stuff being labeled "fluff," provided it's in its own thread or in an existing socially-oriented thread. I agree with you that if someone doesn't like the fluff threads they're free to ignore them. That's a bit harder to do in a thread that was serious but became overcome with banter.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Random thought: I don't suppose there would be a feasible way to make the "fluff zone" posts not show up in the new posts section? Or have a "fluff-forum-free" new posts section in addition to the current one? I don't know anything about the technicalities obviously...

I personally find it irritating when 80% of the new posts are the fluffy ones, though I don't have a problem with the threads in and of themselves, as long as I don't always have to look at them (it always seems to be the same threads, too). So maybe others feel the same way, and this could help with the tension? Obviously in addition to keeping excessive fluff out of real more serious threads, but I think that's already a rule, if not really an enforced one. (?)

Just throwing that out there.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

My apologies to alean. I did not know that Wolf himself requested this.

Enneagram
    1w2

My working definition in addition to the current definition of fluff:

Lesser annoyances, such as repeated and/or sole posting of "fluff" posts, may cause a member to be restricted to posting in The Graveyard, at discretion...for the purpose of posting at MBTI Central, fluff is defined as

1. consecutive posts topically unrelated to the original post (OP),
    2. consecutive posts that lack the seriousness deemed necessary for the topic at hand
    3. threads that single out members as their topic, i.e. birthday threads, baby announcements, please date such and such member

For example, if a member makes a thread about prison reform and other members begin to speak about their experiences in jail or someone they know experiences, I would not consider that a derail or fluff. I would consider it the beginnings of a tangential discussion but not a derail. Fluff begins to enter the picture when a more serious discussion based thread about prison reform turns into a bunch of jokes about not dropping the soap and who would be whose prison bitch. That is what I consider a derail and fluff.

A word on derails: Derails are often the beginnings of fluff. Derails have the potential to contribute the discussion at hand and if they warrant their own thread then I say make it into its own thread.

Feel free to nitpick, we just need something to work with for right now.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 01-26-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: one more thing...

MBTI
    INFJ

As Ivy said, that was my proposal. I'm curious: why don't you like it? What would be displeasant about someone saying "please don't post fluff in my thread", or "please limit the fluff on this thread" ? I see it as somewhat similar to people setting rules for what is allowed in their houses: "please no swearing here" or "please go on the balcony to smoke", which I consider to be reasonable requests. So I wonder: what is it about it that you don't like?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    As Ivy said, that was my proposal. I'm curious: why don't you like it? What would be displeasant about someone saying "please don't post fluff in my thread", or "please limit the fluff on this thread" ? I see it as somewhat similar to people setting rules for what is allowed in their houses: "please no swearing here" or "please go on the balcony to smoke", which I consider to be reasonable requests. So I wonder: what is it about it that you don't like?
    It's too uptight for my tastes. Very SJ which I am clearly not.