User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I want to apologise for jumping on you about your qualifiers.. That was insensitive of me.
    I wasn't insulted- my first thought was simply "Dude- do you KNOW any ESTPs?!?"

not because I think you're a dude, but because it was a phrase on Scrubs that my sis and I stole for our own manipulations

Qualifiers allow me to slip away unscathed quite frequently
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I claimed dibs on my cabana boy way back on N Central.
    Your Bombay Sapphire, sir.

MBTI
    yupp

This is how I see it. We've been fighting over fluff for the last 2 months, yet and I agree with magic on the other thread. Yet most people who are complaining are not doing anything about it. Instead they are all here complaining that they're are not enough serious threads.

As for the awards and dating polls I'm fine with them, as the give some members a little bit more confidence, and even though I didn't win anything just being voted for was enough for me.

Yes I do like serious thread, and yes I do like fluffy ones.So kill me for it.

As for the cliqueness (which I don't think their actually is, but what do I know? ) but if their is it's part of life to sometimes feel left out, and I'm learning you to have to speak up to be noticed.

In other words shut up about their being too much fluff and start and/or join the more serious discussions. JMO

And I don't think the awards are a problem, just a bit of light fun. I wouldn't mind doing them again, and hopefully next time I'll figure out who I want to vote for and vote.

that is all.

And I'm sure this is just echos of what other's have said and I agree with them.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    This is how I see it. We've been fighting over fluff for the last 2 months, yet and I agree with magic on the other thread. Yet most people who are complaining are not doing anything about it. Instead they are all here complaining that they're are not enough serious threads.
    Well, if you look through this thread, people are making sensible suggestions, like a restructured format that allows all types to do their thing, and a front screen that makes it clearer what and where, and even the merging or renaming of fluff zone/bonfire.

So I am not sure why you say that. Would you rather we didn't talk about this stuff first and just prescribed?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Well, if you look through this thread, people are making sensible suggestions, like a restructured format that allows all types to do their thing, and a front screen that makes it clearer what and where, and even the merging or renaming of fluff zone/bonfire.

So I am not sure why you say that. Would you rather we didn't talk about this stuff first and just prescribed?
    well in a way yeah, I mean either way people are going to complain, and instead of having a bunch of complaining on the front end of it and then other end why not just the other end, though I think it's too late for that.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP

I really like the idea of the front page. It makes INTPc look very nice.

prplchknz.. the "put up or shut up" approach to the dissenters of fluff is tired and offers no solution.

MBTI
    yupp

you know why it doesn't work and this is my POV is because they do nothing about it but complain. I mean really it's not that hard to post in more serious disscussions. and yes I did realize this has been said before like 50 different ways. Maybe I'm missing something,and I'm not saying this isn't a serious disscussion. and one last thing I think the fluff level has decreased a little bit reacently.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP

Perhaps what we do need is for an admin to say "This is the way it's going to be: __________." With finality and perhaps even a hint of anger. So that people may rest content (or not) that things will be a certain way, so that then, the energy can be spent doing as you said prplchknz, posting to serious threads, or posting fluff and not having to worry about being punished.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you know why it doesn't work and this is my POV is because they do nothing about it but complain. I mean really it's not that hard to post in more serious disscussions. and yes I did realize this has been said before like 50 different ways. Maybe I'm missing something,and I'm not saying this isn't a serious disscussion. and one last thing I think the fluff level has decreased a little bit reacently.
    Some people do start, or try to start more serious threads, or used to a lot more. It is hard to start serious threads when they seem to go for a few posts than get swallowed up in other ones, so the "complaining" is the next method to go to.

On the awards thread, that, and similar threads, are problematic because they will probably only mention, or involve, only a small amount of people. If you notice on the awards forum, it was only a very small amount of people who were mentioned more than once, and even a pretty small amount that were mentioned at all, which leaves a lot of forum activity that does not show up in a thread like that. Awards threads overall seem like they would reduce how well people would get along for that reason.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Why not move the dating polls into the Relationships forum? (It does explicitly say Dating.)
    That's a good point actually.

Y'know, it's kinda like... well, when there's a forum headed:

The Bonfire
    An area for socializing and lighthearted general discussions.

and

The Fluff Zone
    Fluffed up beyond all recognition. This forum is for light-hearted, conversational threads. Fluff posts made in other forums and threads may be moved here by Moderators.

Well, forgive me for being a bluff old literalist, but that would tend to give an impression that those forums are meant for... well... light-hearted conversation and socializing?

Sorry Geoff but I've gotta disagree with you - I've lived in England most of my life and in English pubs (the equivalent to the Bonfire here, maybe?) you get a lot more people having fluffy conversations, getting drunk and being silly, than you do sitting in the corner and discussing astro-physics. I don't know which town you live in, but most English town centres these days are full of vomiting, flirting, binge-drinking socialites after about 9pm, with all local police power being concentrated on limiting the damage done by so many people "celebrating themselves"

The thing is, if you want this to be an inclusive community, then it's just not realistic to expect an inclusive community with a realistic representation/proportion of different types, to have an even/equal amount of serious debate and light socializing, unless it stops being inclusive and starts to be selective. As long as it's inclusive, you'll get the proportion of those things coming progressively closer to how it is in RL, which is to say, mostly mundane, with the odd journey into the higher realms. Even so, I still think the proportion of high brow to low brow stuff on this board is higher than anything you see in RL, unless you spend all your time in the debate halls of Cambridge or something.

I mean, where do these sorts of complaints lead to if you follow them through to their logical conclusions? Here's where: take out the Bonfire and the Fluff Zone, re-name or re-bill the board as a place for intelligent theoretical discussions - after all, why have these forums that so clearly encourage and give a message that light-hearted and social behaviour is welcome, when in fact it's merely tolerated? Or maybe having some kind of set limit on the number of threads that can be posted in those forums per week, and/or on the number of replies that they can receive per day.

That all seems to me like there's a subtle implication that the board is really for intellectual debates but a bit of fluff is tolerated, as opposed to being a place that caters for the natural inclinations of all the MBTI types, giving equal value to those inclinations and talents, whatever they might be (yes, even when they're not in the area of intellectual debate). Which takes us back to the beginning: well, scrap those forums, make the membership selective rather than inclusive, and call a spade a spade.

I've no problem either way: I'm just as at home with the intelligentsia as I am with the common folk. I'm ambisocial I just wish this stupid debate would be drawn to a final end with a clear judgement.

Oooh, my J side is surfacing!!

At the end of the day these sorts of complaints do seem to come across to me somewhat like the bitter intellectuals who are just pissed off because the people in the party room are having more fun despite being insipid, inferior beings (sic). Or perhaps, of people who like to hide in the Internet as an escape from reality, complaining because the forums are beginning to look a bit more like... well, reality.
    Last edited by substitute; 01-27-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen