User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    As a person who has deep interest in group dynamics, I've never thought it was a good idea for a group to be in complete harmony, kind of like the Tower of Babel. Things start to become dangerous if everyone agrees and everyone loves each other. People stop thinking for themselves and are afraid to dissent.
    Agreed. I am an experienced "forumer".. and I have noticed that the most respected forum members are always the ones that don't play the game (such as cafe..) and that keep their eye on the ball (of discussion) and not the crowd. Reputation points have little significance in my mind.. there is a member here with two rep. points, whose posts I find most worthy of reading.

And as for the awards, and last person to post here wins, and word association... People seem to always have to have threads like this on forums.. and people always participate. They come from high and low. I don't get it, and it is unbecoming in my opinion to a forum that is host to such knowledgable discussion...

Ivy has mentioned before that MBTI Central is a place where we can see how all the types interact and so forth... and I agreed until now. I think that MBTI Central is about the types, not so much a free-for-all for them. Discussion should be encouraged and enforced about the types only.

Does any good really come from observing this insipidity? Allowing it for the purpose of learning how the types interact? This isn't natural interaction... people are whoring themselves out!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I think that the light hearted threads actually DO sometimes foster a better understanding of different types and discussions on them occasionally! For instance- if it weren't for light hearted conversations I would beleive that INTJs don't have a sense of humor at all! Now I understand that beneath thier seriousness they are actually quite hillarious in a dry and morbid way

I think that the more social threads are a good thing and that they help people integrate into the forum and get to know other members better. I've met so many people in fluffier threads that I find fascinating, which leads me to read thier more serious posts and reply to them as well!

I don't know- maybe ExxPs function differently that way or something, but I think that social threads are just as essential towards understanding the MBTI and how different types act and interact as any serious thread is!

(note- I'm a big fan of observing as a form of studying things like cultures and such as well- as opposed to just discussing things )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I think that the light hearted threads actually DO sometimes foster a better understanding of different types and discussions on them occasionally
    Convincing.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Convincing.
    I'm just speaking from MY point of view- I'm not going to speak for everyone :rolli: That would be stupid

Plus- I know from the social threads that not everyone thinks the same way that I do so why would I lump them alltogether in my opinion?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Ivy has mentioned before that MBTI Central is a place where we can see how all the types interact and so forth... and I agreed until now. I think that MBTI Central is about the types, not so much a free-for-all for them. Discussion should be encouraged and enforced about the types only.
    Okay, here's where we might be running into some conflict of ideals on this. I don't see the forum's purpose as being about all the types. I see it as a forum for all the types. In my mind the goal of the forum is to be a place where every type can, within the rules of civility, etc expressed in the FAQ, feel at home to be and interact as themselves, whether that means just hanging out and having fun with people who know what they are talking about when they start spouting four letter codes or whether it means people seriously discussing MBTI theory.

This medium allows us to be as big as we need to be, to have as many rooms as we need to have, in order accommodate everyone who wants to participate in our community on whatever level they want to participate. In order to facilitate that, everyone needs to be aware of and attempt to cooperate with the needs of people who are not like them. That means keeping things in the right places. Social stuff in the social places. Serious stuff in the serious places. Your basic tolerance, respect, and common courtesy. Call me a crazy idealist, but I think we can do that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    So while I have high hopes for this thread, I fear that it's going to turn into another 100+ replies of nothing or it will be ignored because it requires too much thinking. Doesn't that sound weird coming from an EFJ?
    I know it was a joke, but I think actually you are giving more clarity to what it means to be EFJ. I think EFJs are lumped in with IFJs too often and thus misunderstood / seen as much more domineering and rigid than they actually are.

(But that's a tangent...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    Convincing.
    I was very proud of her for all the qualifiers she used in order to make sure her statement had no real holes.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe
    Okay, here's where we might be running into some conflict of ideals on this. I don't see the forum's purpose as being about all the types. I see it as a forum for all the types. In my mind the goal of the forum is to be a place where every type can, within the rules of civility, etc expressed in the FAQ, feel at home to be and interact as themselves, whether that means just hanging out and having fun with people who know what they are talking about when they start spouting four letter codes or whether it means people seriously discussing MBTI theory.

This medium allows us to be as big as we need to be, to have as many rooms as we need to have, in order accommodate everyone who wants to participate in our community on whatever level they want to participate. In order to facilitate that, everyone needs to be aware of and attempt to cooperate with the needs of people who are not like them. That means keeping things in the right places. Social stuff in the social places. Serious stuff in the serious places. Your basic tolerance, respect, and common courtesy. Call me a crazy idealist, but I think we can do that.
    I think you have really clarified the potential here. Often these fights result into turf wars: "There is only one space and you are changing it into something I don't want or need."

The fact is that we can as much "turf" as we want. It is like settlers moving into a limitless expanse of land, we are not really bound by any constraints.

The problems is occurring because we're fighting over the nature of the more public areas.

I really don't mind questions of the rigor of "Which type is most likely to eat frozen pancakes?" (apologies to the person whose phrase I borrowed), but it's hard when those things mix in or overwhelming threads actually focused on examining the MBTI theory and how the functions work together, etc. The character of the former is assumed to be the nature of the whole forum when visitors come, and then as Night points out, things evolve and we get more of one style thread and there is a shift in forum tone. It's unavoidable, it's how systems ebb and flow.

Do we need to draw up more specific boundaries, add some more categories, so that people know where to post their particular item appropriately to keep things separated? I know if things get TOO spread out, that can be a weakness as well...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Okay everybody, Geoff is feeling left out. I think a date would help! Who would like to date Geoff!?
    I claimed dibs on my cabana boy way back on N Central.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

No way does Ronin Attorney! get dibs on Geoff. I want him for his European flair!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm just speaking from MY point of view- I'm not going to speak for everyone :rolli: That would be stupid

Plus- I know from the social threads that not everyone thinks the same way that I do so why would I lump them alltogether in my opinion?
    I want to apologise for jumping on you about your qualifiers.. That was insensitive of me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Do we need to draw up more specific boundaries, add some more categories, so that people know where to post their particular item appropriately to keep things separated? I know if things get TOO spread out, that can be a weakness as well...
    Unless we can come up with a better solution, I imagine we will have to draw up more specific boundaries.

I'm wondering . . . could we do some kind of front page thing like INTPc has (this, for those who haven't seen it) and on it, not include some of the less formal forum areas? That would allow us to present more of a serious face to newcomers maybe, sort of like the front office. We would still have the breakroom atmosphere, but it would be in a less public area. Would that make anyone happier? Would it make everyone unhappier?

I bet some of you guys with Ne can come up with something better. *Opens umbrella and awaits brainstorm*
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers