User Tag List

123 Last

Default It's "Miss" not "Ma'am"...grrr.

What is the appropriate age for people who serve you (waiters, cashiers, etc.) to start calling a woman “ma’am”?

I get irked when people call me ma'am, I always think in my head "It's Miss dammit!".
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

ma'am is a horrible word and every time I say it I taste a bit of vomit. It should only be reserved for people over 40.

MBTI
    TRUE

I think they use it when it's obvious you're older, and I suspect it's meant as a safe word. I dislike sir, and ma'am, but accept that it is rarely meant to be offensive. The only way I've found to prevent it is, if they have a name tag, call them by name and offer your own, or if you're a regular customer, just say something like "I'm not really a ma'am, but you can call me (insert whatever)."
    Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTj

It's a regional issue. It is also an issue of one's culture. Additionally, it's used, and taught to be used, in military households.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ESFP

Actually it's the opposite of what you're making it out to be. It's a term of respect, especially in the sense that you could be Miss or Mrs. and it doesn't necessarily have to do with your age. These people often deal with tons of people male and female every day and it's unreasonable to expect them to know each's personal preference, so sir or ma'am is the generally accepted term in service oriented occupations.

figsfiggyfigs

depends on where you're from.

I get called ma'am by people usually "fresh" to the country, and miss by some people. its usually " dear" though.

I totally used the word "fresh " on purpose. lol

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Oh, what's the matter with growing up? You should own your ma'amness. But I'm guessing it's just the 'safe' word to use to the point of being habit. The guy was probably just phoning it in that day.

MBTI
    INFP

If I'm trying to get your attention and you're over 25 I'm going to say ma'am. "Excuse me, miss?" would sound weird since I'm but a babe myself. In my mind it just seems like a respectful go-to word to use in formal (business) settings. Miss is for a child, ma'am is for an independent woman!

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    What is the appropriate age for people who serve you (waiters, cashiers, etc.) to start calling a woman “ma’am”?

I get irked when people call me ma'am, I always think in my head "It's Miss dammit!".
    I'm sorry Ma'am...

Would madam prefer I call her babe, darlin', hot-stuff, or chica ?

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, I'm glad they're not calling me Miss anymore. And strangers always talk about "that lady", instead of "that girl" when they're talking about me and I don't mind. At least I somehow seem to distinguish myself from my generation and I love that.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.