User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    I think people who get offended by the word "ma'am" don't deserve to have me address them with any type of respect.
    This.

In the South particularly, Miss is used to convey either lower social status (black women were seldom called ma'am in the Jim Crow era), or else its a term children use in conjunction with first names to refer to specific females they are supposed to obey (like Tallulah said).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Blown Ghost View Post
    Actually it's the opposite of what you're making it out to be. It's a term of respect, especially in the sense that you could be Miss or Mrs. and it doesn't necessarily have to do with your age. These people often deal with tons of people male and female every day and it's unreasonable to expect them to know each's personal preference, so sir or ma'am is the generally accepted term in service oriented occupations.
    +1
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

What an odd thing to care about.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm from the southeast US, and saying ma'am and sir to anyone older than you (mostly, not so much teenagers) is taught as important as saying please and thank you. Nothing will get you in trouble more quickly than forgetting to say "yes ma'am" to a teacher. I can't say if this is falling out of fashion with the new generation.

It's why it startles me when someone from a different region gets upset over the term ma'am. Inevitably it causes me to say "I'm sorry ma'am, I mean... Uhhhhhh"

The only time I hear 'miss' is as a title for an unmarried woman. Miss So-and-so.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i never call people sir and ma'am, but when i worked as a cashier we were supposed to address people like that so i did even if it was a younger woman. but i feel really weird being called it. better than sweetie though.