User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Hey sparrow, my perception of Miss is that it's a diminutive near condescension, kind of like calling someone Betty instead of Liz or Elizabeth. Ma'am appears to have connotations of respect allocated to biological age, which is kind of strange considering that maturation doesn't always synch with biological age. Whenever I hear Ma'am, somehow the cowboy drawl and hat tipping come to mind, which is too cute.

I guess I associate ma'am with someone who is older. I still look young, so no need for ma'am yet! Mademoiselle works lol.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Don't Miss or Ma'am me. If you're older, you may Sweetie me. If you're younger or my age, just call out Hello or Excuse me. Miss/Ma'am is so Gone With the Wind. I don't like it.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Y'all are cute. I just want to pinch your cheeks...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I guess by most standards I'm 'ma'am' now. I don't remember ever being bothered by the term -- intent matters more than content in this particular situation.

I do get a little bothered when school staff call me by my first name unless it's pretty clear I'm expected to call them by their first name as well.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4~9

I am glad we do not have that problem in Denmark. But it is going to be weird for me when going to UK
    "...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
    Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
    "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland"
    "Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting"

- The City Of Bones

Here is my blog where I post my thoughts and feelings. Please have a go and comment if you like.

MBTI
    yupp

I was taught to adress any woman of power or serving you, ie at a resteraunt. to be yes ma'am, no ma'am or thank you and no thank you. But that's my upbringing, didn't realize it was for people over 40.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

I don't remember ever being called Miss growing up. I don't think Miss is a Southern thing at all. Ma'am is usually a sign of respect for a person older than yourself, unless it's to get a stranger's or a customer's attention--then it's generally ma'am, anyway. I don't think you get called anything if you're a kid, unless it's something like "sweetie."
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I don't remember ever being called Miss growing up. I don't think Miss is a Southern thing at all. Ma'am is usually a sign of respect for a person older than yourself, unless it's to get a stranger's or a customer's attention--then it's generally ma'am, anyway. I don't think you get called anything if you're a kid, unless it's something like "sweetie."
    Ma'am and miss are associated with the South, largely due to the stereotypical perception of the "Southern Gentleman" and in Gone With the Wind's case, a difference in social rank. People began referring to me as "Mr." when I was 16, which was unsettling at first, but I became used to it. As said before, generally terms such as that are used as a sign of respect, though as this respect has traditionally been paid from the young to the middle aged and above, as well as general stuffy adults, it has gradually become associated with advancing age.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I like saying ma'am. It breaks the bitch forcefield.

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVreuxzKwuI"]Ma'am[/youtube]