User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you value what you learned in school? Did you work to pay?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I value what I learned in school, and I worked to pay.

7 46.67%
  • I value what I learned in school, and I didn't have to work to pay.

3 20.00%
  • I don't value what I learned in school, and I worked to pay.

2 13.33%
  • I don't value what I learned in school, and I didn't have to work to pay.

2 13.33%
  • I want to click on something other than the above

1 6.67%
12 Last

Default Value of Schooling

This is for people with schooling past high-school (unless you had to pay for high-school)

Do you value the knowledge you gained in school?
    Did you have to work to pay your way through school?

Note:Maintaining a GPA, or getting a particular grade to keep/earn a scholarship or reimbursement through work counts as "having to work." So too does maintaining good performance reviews with your employer for reimbursements.

A free ride, or other such thing not based on work done during your schooling doesn't count.

I had to draw the line somewhere.

Also, Food for thought:
    Student Anti-Intellectualism

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Formal education is important. Self-education and experience, gained afterward, are more important.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

All I can say is that education didn't really help me find better work opportunities. I'm still struggling to find a job and I'll probably be going on disability.

On another note, I learn something new everyday. I think that should make me educated.

Formal education is mostly designed to control our thoughts.

MBTI
    ISTx

Can't say formal education has done me a lot of good. Unless I am around the knowledge and utilizing it on a regular basis, it will escape me. I tend to have a weird selective memory that will remember random stuff that others don't but I have found a lot of the knowledge I have learned to ace a test has since left my head.

MBTI
    INFP

I greatly valued the formal education I received post high school. The information itself was not the treasure, but the stimulation and challenge forged the way for me to become a greater, more capable person than I was. It is definitely worth it. I did not have to pay for my schooling, but I surely will if and when I go to grad school.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I greatly value my education- not just the piece of paper they gave me for finishing it, which I never bothered to pick up at the Dean Dome.

It's fortunate for me that I value it, because I am still paying for it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

ARGH trust this to happen just as I thought of taking INTJMom and my conversation sorta about this to here.

I'm not sure what "to pay" means in that context... clarify please?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Formal education is important. Self-education and experience, gained afterward, are more important.
    I agree. Formal education can often be a way to supplement/enhance your understanding you would get otherwise.

I realize the timing of this thread was funny. But I was really trying to see if paying one's own way through school made one appreciate it more.

The link I posted seemed like a college professor's view on things. I just posted it as food for thought.

Subs. started another thread on Formal education.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Can't say formal education has done me a lot of good. Unless I am around the knowledge and utilizing it on a regular basis, it will escape me. I tend to have a weird selective memory that will remember random stuff that others don't but I have found a lot of the knowledge I have learned to ace a test has since left my head.
    I think most people are the same way. Luckily, my field of study and what I do for a career are related. Unfortunately, the theory I learned is often greatly inadequate for the problems I face, but it opens up avenues of thought for attacking a problem that I probably would not have come up with otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'm not sure what "to pay" means in that context... clarify please?
    Well, the simplest is if you actually paid for it. But I suppose having to maintain a GPA or grades to get the money is kind-off like having a job. If the second part doesn't make sense, then just interpret as "did you pay for school?" That is, instead of your parents, or rich aunt/uncle, grandparent, etc.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

I do value what I've learned at college level, both formally and informally. However, I could've (and would rather have) learned much of what I learned formally, informally, but had to do it formally because certain jobs I wanted to do required certification. This meant I had to take much longer to learn something not as well as I would've if I'd learned it independently and been able to just take an exam for the certificate.

Much of what I value from formal education is actually the non-academic stuff I learned. Socializing, as well as working the system, the mechanisms and stuff... that was all very useful.

I paid for much of it myself, and worked for it. But other parts were paid for by the Church, and some by the State when I was on a low income. None of it at all was paid for by my parents. They didn't even contribute to my basic education, let alone higher.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm still in school, so I'm not sure if that makes me too biased to answer, but I did anyway.

I've paid for it completely (from work+loans)...and I'll be a fair bit in debt by the end, but I would do it at twice the price. Everything about it (experiences, knowledge, certification, meeting people) was worth it to me. And of course I need it for my chosen career.

Of course it's not the best option for everyone, but for me it definitely is.