User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default experieinced manual transmission drivers (having difficulties on hills in rain)

So I've only learned and have been driving manual within the past year and a half. I bought a 2007 F-150 truck with a manual tranny. Since I've moved to Seattle I'm having problems taking off (from being completely stopped) on hills when it's raining. My tires spin out. Sometimes, I'll have a car on my ass and I'm sitting there spinning out, going no where. It's very annoying and has really started to irritate me that it happens without fail when the roads are slick.

What am I doing wrong? How do I keep from spinning out on the hills?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You need to reduce torque, so the tires dont bring too much force on the street. Best way of doing that is when you use the 3rd gear instead of the 1st when you start moving from being completly stopped. That's how you'ld do it on ice aswell.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    You need to reduce torque, so the tires dont bring too much force on the street. Best way of doing that is when you use the 3rd gear instead of the 1st when you start moving from being completly stopped. That's how you'ld do it on ice aswell.
    won't that stall the engine? maybe you mean 2nd? Not questioning... I dunno actually I haven't tried it.

Beat, I think the problem is that it is already difficult to go uphill from a standstill with a manual transmission due to the fact that if there is someone behind you, you have to do all the movements quickly before rolling backwards. When doing this, people tend to use more gas than they would normally and that causes their tires to lose traction especially on slippery terrain or steep hills.

My suggestion is to practice and learn to relax so that you don't hit the gas so hard. What also helps if you have a parking break next to you is to pull that so you can put your brake foot on the gas, then ease off the parking break while doing your normal clutch release+gas. Since your foot is already resting on the gas peddle you should be able to do it a little more gently. Since you have a truck, another thing that helps is to add weight in the back (loading up 2 haybails during the winter should greatly improve your traction no matter where you're driving over rain or ice)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

You need to take away your left foot from the clutch pedal much more slowly, when there's a slippery terrain - it's hard to be more specific than that, just do it as slowly as you can, keeping rpms low. Another option, as entropie said, would be to use a higher gear (although 3rd seems a bit too high, esp. if there's a steep hill...), again though you would still have to slowly unpress the pedal, otherwise your engine will stop. 3rd option: change your tires (unless they're new), use winter tires (from oct to apr), their grip is higher.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

No it wont stall the engine, if you do it with feeling. The higher the gear the less torque you have on the street. On heavy ice you use the 3rd, on slippery terrain the 2nd may suffice. The 4th and 5th are possible aswell but it does put heavy strain on the crank shaft and I wouldnt advise to use the 5th.

Automatic gears which have a winter function dont function any way different. They just use the planetary gearbox in 3rd gear mode then.

Which gear to choose depends on the amount of torque your car has. My car has very much torque and 160 HP therefore I need to use the 3rd. Less HP around 70 - 100 maybe the 2nd will suffice.

It's like I feed the engine with the gas and the clutch. So I just listen to the engine to see how much it needs to move off smoothly.

People, with trucks specifically, also weight the back... if it's rear wheel drive.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

just talked to my girlfriend, whose parents house actually is on a hill and is located in a small village ( I am from a huge city area, we barely have even snow here ). She said, best thing for you and the car is when you start in 1st gear and then when the wheels are spinning or you are even moving slowly quickly shift up to 2nd and then 3rd gear. I agree with this, its better for the crank shaft.

If, like Kanamori said, your track has a rear wheel drive you're basically fucked. Then you can only try different tires or have someone pushing the car for you from the back ( if possible ). Mercedes Benz cars always have a rear wheel drive and its a huge fun to watch them twist and turn in winter

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'd start in second, not third gear.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ignoring boner hard physical facts and replacing them by experience, should cost you your NT status