User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ----

i just bothered to read the thread. i agree with my aussie jivin friend. i wouldn't be starting in any gear other than first until you're more comfortable with the car - you'll end up revving it too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Trying to start in third gear on a hill will stall out every time unless you have a beast of an engine and rev the crap out of it. I'd recommend starting in first (maayyybe 2nd) with the park brake on for someone fairly new to manuals. You just need practice in knowing exactly where your clutch releases is my guess. Use minimum necessary revs and ease the clutch out. The more used to the car you are the faster you'll find the "easing" location of the clutch.
    adding some weight to the tray in the back sounds like a good idea too. or buy a car - i drive a VW golf - it's nice.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post

adding some weight to the tray in the back sounds like a good idea too. or buy a car - i drive a VW golf - it's nice.
    ...Wait wait wait... The tray?

You do realize we are talking about a vehicle, not a printer?

MBTI
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I'm good at balancing with that friction point. If it's just a matter of traffic stopping for a brief period, I can do that. It's when I get to a red light on a hill where I'm having trouble... and only in rain.
    Right. Like I said, it's going to be the brake-to-gas foot switch that causes too much gas and peeling out. It's the same thing on gravel when you floor the gas... the car as no momentum and the wheels put out so much power at once that it overpowers gravity (weight of the truck on the tires) and the traction gives out.

So you can practice and learn to be gentler on the gas or add even more weight. I suggest hay bails instead of sand bags because you'll get much more weight per the cost (check craigslist... farmers sell them) and when you're done you can dump them in a field or a forest, while sandbags will require storage.

I have been to Seattle and I know the streets are very steep east/west, so a way around the problem would be to use the north/south roads until they converge (like near the I-5) then take a different North/south road that will lead you to a higher elevation at a more gradual rate.

ThatGirl

I'd recommend going to a deserted hill and just practicing for a while.

The trick is to play with the clutch and the gas (every vehicle is different) until you find the spot where the car is basically still.

So, pull off the clutch just enough to feel movement in the car then press just enough gas to neutralize it. Once you have this idea down you can sit on a hill for ages without rolling anywhere or over reving the engine. Neither clutch nor gas is being favored.

From this point, you can gently switch out the gas for the clutch with equal timing, or even just let off the clutch alone, and let the current momentum propel you.

It's, all about finding the pivot point, being able to get to it quickly and off muscle memory, then just proceeding from there.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 10-16-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: I see someone already mentioned this, sorry didn't read the whole thread.

MBTI
    ISTx

^ I really think it's just the rain though. I've tried everything in my technique it seems and I just can't not spin out in the rain... Otherwise, hills are never a problem for me. Maybe like biaxident mentioned, it's that I've been out when the roads are especially slick from motor oil.... or my truck does need some weight in the back. Maybe it wasn't designed for places such as this...??

MBTI
    INFP

More weight in the tray seems to be the best option for you then. Large water containers are another means of adding weight. They're probably slightly more likely to be stolen than sandbags though, and more likely to move around while cornering etc.

ThatGirl

^ I really think it's just the rain though. I've tried everything in my technique it seems and I just can't not spin out in the rain... Otherwise, hills are never a problem for me. Maybe like biaxident mentioned, it's that I've been out when the roads are especially slick from motor oil.... or my truck does need some weight in the back. Maybe it wasn't designed for places such as this...??
    Then I would check the tires, that seems more like a tread issue.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

What about the tires? New? Old? Winter? Summer?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    XXFP

Dead thread but I feel stupid for not thinking of this earlier.

Ball of the right foot on the brake, heel/side of foot clipping the accelerator. Rev as appropriate with foot on the brake to hold you in place.

Let out the clutch. You'll feel it catch and start to push and let off the brake and off you go.

Was messing with this idea the other day works great in my car. Size 10.5 foot btw. Even works with steel toe boots. Easier with athletic shoes. Dress shoes are interesting. Haven't tried it barefoot, probably easy.

It's essentially rev matching on a downshift, except you're at a standstill.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.