User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    So it's not bad to ride the clutch on the hills? I don't know the right terminology... Basically to feather it so that you're never completely stopped.
    I wouldn't say it's not a bad idea. I'd say avoid it if possible. If not possible, I usually let it roll back a bit so the nimrods behind me won't ride my ass, and then hold myself in position with the brake, and just before the light changes, ride it enough to hold my place and get rolling when it goes green. I've gotten good at letting off the brake, and balancing clutch and gas simultaneously so I don't roll backward.

You'll get plenty of practice.

I avoid steep hills as much as possible when it first starts raining, that's when I have the most problems, but sometimes you have no choice.

...Okay...I'm not sure if that made sense...I've got a headache...

MBTI
    ISTx

Makes enough sense. Pretty positive starting off in 2nd gear on a hill is a no go for me. I tried it today (and it's a beautiful day outside) and my truck just started to roll backwards.

So in 1st gear, should I be starting off with MORE gas, but slower on engaging the clutch?

MBTI
    XXFP

Practice revving it to just the RPM you need and no higher to get a smooth start off. Practice this on flat terrain. This will help on hills.

I understand the idea of starting it off in second or third, but that's not really something most people do in the rain (snow maybe).

Rear wheel drive trucks are a pain in this regard.

Using clutch control

Give it some gas and let out the clutch (not all the way) so it "catches" and you are not rolling backwards. Once you have some forward momentum, slowly keep letting off the clutch until you are moving forward.

This will cause some clutch wear, but hey, that what it's there for. As you get better at it, you'll be able to do it smoother and quicker.

If you had a hand brake you could use that too but with foot brake it's a lot harder - you'd need some fancy footwork to pull that off. .

But in theory you could disengage the parking brake with the ball of your foot and simultaneously work the clutch with your heel and do the gas with your right foot.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Practice revving it to just the RPM you need and no higher to get a smooth start off. Practice this on flat terrain. This will help on hills.

I understand the idea of starting it off in second or third, but that's not really something most people do in the rain (snow maybe).

Using clutch control

Give it some gas and let out the clutch (not all the way) so it "catches" and you are not rolling backwards. Once you have some forward momentum, slowly keep letting off the clutch until you are moving forward.

This will cause some clutch wear, but hey, that what it's there for. As you get better at it, you'll be able to do it smoother and quicker.

If you had a hand brake you could use that too but with foot brake it's a lot harder - you'd need some fancy footwork to pull that off. .

But in theory you could disengage the parking brake with the ball of your foot and simultaneously work the clutch with your heel and do the gas with your right foot.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Makes enough sense. Pretty positive starting off in 2nd gear on a hill is a no go for me. I tried it today (and it's a beautiful day outside) and my truck just started to roll backwards.

So in 1st gear, should I be starting off with MORE gas, but slower on engaging the clutch?
    Hehehe...

I don't know your vehicle. More experimentation is needed.

I would say, see if you can't find the right balance of gas and clutch so you don't move, and then go from there.

Or. You could drive down here to Tacoma, and you can play with my Ranger till you get the hang of it. It's probably more forgiving than the F-150. And you can get a workout as well. I don't have power steering. Power steering is for wusses, and grannies.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

WTF? double post...

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post

Using clutch control

I'm not sure anyone without a size 15 foot could pull that off.

MBTI
    TRUE

It's something like the reverse of that. If you can find a street with a slight slope where the rollback will be less drastic, you could practice holding the truck in place using just the clutch. Then practice letting it roll a bit and then stopping the effect with just the clutch, but again letting it roll, then stopping the effect again - repeating this will give a better sense of the effect. When you can hold the truck in place without stalling you can try it on a steeper incline.
    “Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ----

beat, sounds like you're using too much throttle/too fast. use less throttle while you're getting used to the car. each car has a different friction point - practice on an incline in 1st gear with no one behind you - balancing on the friction point and easing in and out of it.

yay for manuals. i get bored driving automatics - they're like bumper cars.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm good at balancing with that friction point. If it's just a matter of traffic stopping for a brief period, I can do that. It's when I get to a red light on a hill where I'm having trouble... and only in rain.