User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Trying to start in third gear on a hill will stall out every time unless you have a beast of an engine and rev the crap out of it. I'd recommend starting in first (maayyybe 2nd) with the park brake on for someone fairly new to manuals. You just need practice in knowing exactly where your clutch releases is my guess. Use minimum necessary revs and ease the clutch out. The more used to the car you are the faster you'll find the "easing" location of the clutch.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Hey Beat.

1. Have good traction tires.

2. Invest in some bags of sand to toss in the bed.

3. Start in 2nd gear when possible. Some of those hills will stall you out starting in 2nd though. I've had to nurse it in 1st, till I got some momentum going, then shifted to 2nd.

And then there were times where I spun my tires till I found a relatively oil-less spot and gained some traction. It sucks to drive the hills when it's just misting, and there isn't enough water to wash off some of the oil.

MBTI
    ISTx

My parking break is engaged by my foot (pedal is against the wall to the left of the clutch pedal). So using that for assistance isn't going to work out... Right? I wish I understood vehicles better.

How much sand would I need? Any idea what that would run me ($$)?

MBTI
    ISTx

My parking break is engaged by my foot (pedal is against the wall to the left of the clutch pedal). So using that for assistance isn't going to work out... Right? I wish I understood vehicles better.

How much sand would I need? Any idea what that would run me ($$)?

Banned

Start in 1st, ride the clutch to control the torque vs traction. Will fuck up clutch, but you will get up the hill.

MBTI
    TRUE

Use another gear and weight in the bed of the truck for an immediate solution, then go out and practice until you can use any gear and no longer need the weight. My vehicles are always manual and I would have had trouble with the Ford Ranger, except I had already learned how to idle on a hill in neutral, put the car in gear and move forward without rolling back more than an inch or two, and then only on the steepest hills. The hardest part of learning was in not overusing the gas pedal to create the balance needed to holding the car in place as you start to move forward. Better to learn on hills where there is little traffic than to forced to learn by spinning your tires because you don't want to roll back onto the car that pulled up to your bumper. It's also better than putting on sign on the back of the truck that says "Manual transmission - stay back 3 feet."

It might also help to guess how close cars appear when you're parked, then get out of the truck and check the actual distance. Trucks sometimes make cars seem closer than they really are, so having a more accurate estimate of distance may take some of the pressure off.

I'm not a great driver, so if I could do it with a Ranger, you can learn to do it with an F-150.
    “Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

Thanks!

There are some pretty freakin' steep hills here... It's not going idle out if I start in 2nd gear?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Will fuck up clutch, but you will get up the hill.
    Would love to avoid fucking anything up if at all possible.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Would love to avoid fucking anything up if at all possible.
    Don't worry about screwing up the clutch too much. If you do it right, it'll last for a while. I've been driving here for 2 years, same clutch. No problems. I've gotten pretty good at avoiding having to stop on those hills. But if I have to, it's okay, generally. Practice balancing clutch and gas till you get the hang of it. preferably somewhere where you won't cause a wreck.

BTW they sell 50lb bags of sand at Lowes for about $4, I'd get 6 or 8, that way you have some to waste if you need extra traction.

MBTI
    ISTx

So it's not bad to ride the clutch on the hills? I don't know the right terminology... Basically to feather it so that you're never completely stopped.