User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Intelligence

Glycerine

Default Intelligence

"One of the biggest mistakes nonpsychologists (and a distressing number of psychologists) make is to confusing IQ with intelligence (David H. Barlow, Duran V.M.). This is from my abnormal psych book. Pretty much, it said that high IQ means that you will more likely do well than the average person and the opposite goes for low IQ.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

What does "do well" mean?

I've read before that people who score in the gifted range of IQ or higher (130+) are more likely to be under-achievers, as far as living up to their potential, and this tendency increases as their IQ moves farther away from average. Their ability to relate to others also diminishes the higher their IQ. People who are the happiest and most "successful" are people with above average IQs, but not quite gifted (something like 110-130 range). This may be because they live up to their potential in their achievements and relate more easily to others, allowing them to form relationships more successfully. So it looks like those high IQs aren't something to brag about after all...
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I believe IQ tests are useless and IQ means nothing. And that you can 'learn' to take IQ tests with greater success with practice.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

i read that 130-160 do well without much effort but 180+ is where real problems with underachievement come

IQ tests are designed to test for any number of aptitudes. Whether those aptitudes translate to how everyone personally defines "success", is something else.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    What does "do well" mean?

I've read before that people who score in the gifted range of IQ or higher (130+) are more likely to be under-achievers, as far as living up to their potential, and this tendency increases as their IQ moves farther away from average. Their ability to relate to others also diminishes the higher their IQ. People who are the happiest and most "successful" are people with above average IQs, but not quite gifted (something like 110-130 range). This may be because they live up to their potential in their achievements and relate more easily to others, allowing them to form relationships more successfully. So it looks like those high IQs aren't something to brag about after all...
    As in like academically because I think that was what IQ tests were orginally created to measure.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ Yeah, that's what I thought. In layman's terms it measures "book smarts".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    As in like academically because I think that was what IQ tests were orginally created to measure.
    IQ tests were originally designed to separate the normal from the special needs children so they could differentiate for the purposes of schooling.

Thumbs down The normal are impoverishing.

The average IQ for university students is 120. So I find it hard to think of 130 as gifted. I think this is part of the solipsistic myth that we are all gifted.

But the fact is that the gifted are different. They are not only different in intelligence but also different emotionally.

In particular the gifted are described as, "over excitable", (OE).

Interestingly this is a pejorative phrase, and perhaps, "highly excitable", or "labile", or " freely flowing emotionally", might be better and more accurate.

And in my opinion it is this marked emotional difference, that is rejected by the normal.

The gifted are abnormal emotionally and naturally this is not understood by the normal.

And of course the normal think everyone should be like themselves. And emotion being invisible, this baffles the normal. And so the normal reject free flowing emotion.

This is doubly tragic for not only are the gifted socially rejected but flow is also rejected.

And flow is the hallmark of creativity.

And so we find it no surprise that the normal reject creativity. And this impoverishes us all.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    IQ tests were originally designed to separate the normal from the special needs children so they could differentiate for the purposes of schooling.
    Thanks for providing the clarity. I thought when I read about that in my textbook, people put way too much stock into the IQ tests unless they are on the extremes.