12311 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Question Sensors! How senstitive are you to jokes/insults about sensors?

Inspired by the OP in this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ort-group.html

Several people objected to the "joke" about sensors.

Does this kind of joke bother you? Do insults about sensors bother you?

Sensors have, at times, been treated as second-class citizens by the members of this (and sister) forums in relation to MBTI. Do you think this attitude is unique to this forum? Or will it crop up whenever you get groups of iNtuitives?

If you are an iNtuitive, you may also share your opinion on this subject. Probably best to identify which camp you belong in until the types on profiles get fixed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm strongly iNtuitive, and I didn't read it as a joke.
    So I found it kind of offensive.

(Sorry.)

I'll make jokes about iNtuitives and Sensors, but only in contexts where either what I say denotes that it is a joke or I know the people reading it will view it as a joke. Maybe that's because I'm an introvert rather than an extrovert who lives externally (AKA the "Oh crap, did I think that out loud???" syndrome).

I don't think the joke was inherently obvious because iNtuitives whine about all that crap too. I didn't see why Sensors would be singled out "as a joke." Everyone should have been singled out, if it was a joke.

So it came across to me, contextually, as a slam.
    (Especially in light of all the typical complaints about Sensor bashing on this forum.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I didn't really care.

Whether it was a joke, or not. If it wasn't a joke, meh. There are some N's who are bitching and moaning pretty heavily about the upgrade, too. If it was a joke... anyone who has spent time talking to me knows that part of my shtick is to make broad sweeping generalizations about Feelers like that. Like "Ewww, don't go all Feeler on me." If I can harass Feelers like that, I'm more than comfortable with someone harassing me about being a Sensor.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

I knew she was joking and understood what she meant by it, plus there's the added humor of the irony that made me laugh.

It's when someone says something in earnest about sensors that causes a bit of an annoyance. The understanding of the other types is always progressing (or at least attempting to) while it seems like sensing types are stuck in 2D caricature mode.

The stereotypes can be perpetuated by both sides though, which is another odd thing.

Anyway, more people than are probably willing to admit might have underlying N bias. It's not like it's ever truly shocking to see someone be upfront or comical about it.
    Last edited by Noon; 10-14-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: simplified

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm strongly iNtuitive, and I didn't read it as a joke.
    So I found it kind of offensive.
    Agreed.

Ni aux here and found the joke not funny. Aren't we all people and aren't cognitive functions how we process instead of who the underlying person is?

I have to admit to hypocrisy since my real life experiences with ESFJs haven't been good. But that's less about sensors than one specific combination of processes which includes sensing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Noon
    Anyway, more people than are probably willing to admit might have underlying N bias.
    My N can't make sense of what you meant.

As an N, I typically spin things around instantly and read into them, so I end up laughing at a host of "dark things" that most people will not; and here was one of the times where a "joke" really came off as insulting rather than as funny to me; and I'm noting it as a way of making sure that S people aren't unfairly treated... and you're saying it's an N bias?

Sorry, I'm just not following you.
    That can't be what you meant, so... what did you mean?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Even if it's done as a joke, it's analogous to when I worked as a grocery cashier. Inevitably, once every third customer or so, something wouldn't scan. Inevitably, 95% of those customers would make the joke, "I guess it's free!" and crack me a huge smile, waiting for me to laugh.

Eventually, you know, what? After two years of working there, it's not funny to hear that a dozen times a shift, and responding jovially becomes more and more difficult toward the last stretch of the 8 hour day.

Going back to the sensor situation, we must layer on top of this analogy the reality that some people have true prejudice against sensors. The joke is just completely unnecessary. They hear it all the time, and even if you're joking, you wind up propagating the bias that some people really do have. Which makes you a semi-accomplise to that bias.

At least when I was a grocery clerk I was getting paid. The sensors here encounter that "joke" every thread and it's not funny, it's frustrating.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Inevitably, once every third customer or so, something wouldn't scan. Inevitably, 95% of those customers would make the joke, "I guess it's free!" and crack me a huge smile, waiting for me to laugh.
    Holy shit, I'm one of the assholes that does this. I had NO idea that many people made that joke.

I, uh... Guess I'm not going to be doing that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Layer on top of this the reality that some people have true prejudice against sensors, and it's just completely unnecessary. They hear it all the time, and even if you're joking, you wind up propagating the bias that some people really do have. Which makes you a semi-accomplise to that bias.
    So what? People stereotype everything. There are negative stereotypes about Sensors being dumb, or whatever. There are negative stereotypes about Feelers being big emotional wrecks all the time. There are negative stereotypes about Introverts being basement-dwellers with poor hygiene. Go beyond the MBTI shit and you get into stereotypes based on race, gender, hair color, ANYTHING.

I feel like going and getting yourself worked up every time someone makes a joke about the negative stereotypes that apply to you is just being over-sensitive. There will ALWAYS be stereotypes, and nothing you do is suddenly going to abolish the existence of those stereotypes. Suck it up and roll with the punches. Embrace them and laugh about them.

I legitimately believe that taking them seriously and making them "taboo" is going to make them more powerful tools of hate.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My N can't make sense of what you meant.

As an N, I typically spin things around instantly and read into them, so I end up laughing at a host of "dark things" that most people will not; and here was one of the times where a "joke" really came off as insulting rather than as funny to me; and I'm noting it as a way of making sure that S people aren't unfairly treated... and you're saying it's an N bias?

Sorry, I'm just not following you.
    That can't be what you meant, so... what did you mean?
    Wording mistake, probably.

What I mean to say is that the general consensus seems to be that N is naturally more evolved than S, or that while S is not less valuable, N is still a gift that someone would actually rarely want to trade in or miss out on*. I think that a number of people in typology might feel this way even while not actually hating sensors. Sometimes it shows when a person who does more 'developed' things is automatically assumed to be N. My comment wasn't directed to anyone in this thread or in the other, just more of a general observation.

*To a certain extent it's understandable, because not many people would want to give up their dominant way of functioning in the first place. Just seems to be disproportionately N>S.

I hope that makes more sense.
    Last edited by Noon; 10-14-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: simplified