User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

why do you care what those damn sensors think?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm kindof indifferent to that instance, but in general I'm pretty sensitive to it, probably because I was around when there was a million threads being made about why sensors all suck (in a bad way). It doesn't really happen much anymore, though. I mean, there are definitely people here who are biased, but it's not PC to talk about it openly anymore. A step in the right direction, I guess.

But there she was clearly sarcastic. It's not really a joke either, it's just exaggerating. She could've said "you're all feelers" for being sensitive about something. That's been said before, too. I think those kinds of statements are more offensive to the people being referred to, because it's implying that (for example) intuitives are incapable of noticing appearances. And a little disrespectful, I guess. But not blatantly awful.
    -end of thread-

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Even if it's done as a joke, it's analogous to when I worked as a grocery cashier. Inevitably, once every third customer or so, something wouldn't scan. Inevitably, 95% of those customers would make the joke, "I guess it's free!" and crack me a huge smile, waiting for me to laugh.
    Yeah, that got old really fast. That and old guys flirting with you "jokingly", and other similar "jokes" - I can't think of any now, but there are a few oft-repeated lines....everyone thinks they're a comedian.
    -end of thread-

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Even if it's done as a joke, it's analogous to when I worked as a grocery cashier. Inevitably, once every third customer or so, something wouldn't scan. Inevitably, 95% of those customers would make the joke, "I guess it's free!" and crack me a huge smile, waiting for me to laugh.

Eventually, you know, what? After two years of working there, it's not funny to hear that a dozen times a shift, and responding jovially becomes more and more difficult toward the last stretch of the 8 hour day.

Going back to the sensor situation, we must layer on top of this analogy the reality that some people have true prejudice against sensors. The joke is just completely unnecessary. They hear it all the time, and even if you're joking, you wind up propagating the bias that some people really do have. Which makes you a semi-accomplise to that bias.

At least when I was a grocery clerk I was getting paid. The sensors here encounter that "joke" every thread and it's not funny, it's frustrating.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Considering who the OP of that thread is, I did not take it seriously. So no, no offense here. It was a clearly a joke, albeit not very funny because it is such a trite joke. If I imagine it as an F joke, or something which would apply to me, then I still would not be offended because of the above-mentioned points.

The only time these stereotypes annoy me is when they make their way into more "serious" discussions about MBTI, because then they are no longer just jokes.

(I'm an INFP)
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I cried myself to sleep last night after reading that comment.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Doesn't bother me! I crack jokes about myself all the time, and I'm a sensor, so why would someone else cracking a joke about sensors bother me? I'll get the last laugh when the intuitive is trapped in their own head and falls in a hole that I could have warned them about. Kidding!

In all seriousness, it does seem like every MBTI forum feels the need to bash sensors. We be too dumb to keep up apparently!

MBTI
    INTP

I read it as more of a skewering of sensor stereotypes than sensors themselves.
    Something Witty

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Considering who the OP of that thread is, I did not take it seriously. So no, no offense here. It was a clearly a joke, albeit not very funny because it is such a trite joke. If I imagine it as an F joke, or something which would apply to me, then I still would not be offended because of the above-mentioned points.

The only time these stereotypes annoy me is when they make their way into more "serious" discussions about MBTI, because then they are no longer just jokes.

(I'm an INFP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I read it as more of a skewering of sensor stereotypes than sensors themselves.
    Right...

I wasn't offended by the post referenced, given the context/tone/poster. I also thought it was an equal jab at the high-and-mightiness N's can be prone to on any N-dominating forum. But then life is too short for me to get up in arms about most of this stuff, too. I tend to gloss over most isolated comments like that. I don't think I'm that easily offended. *shrug*
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Sensors! How senstitive are you to jokes/insults about sensors?

Inspired by the OP in this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ort-group.html
    I'm probably one of the least sensitive people on thie planet.
    BUT - I do not like it when people make ignorant, rude, and unfounded statements about anything, whether they are directed at me or not.
    I also do not like it when people get verbally belligernet after consuming alcohol.

Several people objected to the "joke" about sensors.
    It wasn't a joke.
    It was a filthy rant with no relevance to the phenomena of people griping about the new site layout.
    Poor choice of words, poor delivery, overall bad form. Two thumbs down.

Does this kind of joke bother you?
    Again, it wasn't a joke, IMHO.
    I love jokes.
    At an early age I learned that if people can't laugh at themselves, that they are overly self important.
    But, that doesn't mean that it is necessary to sit and listen to people spewing ignorant shit at you or anyone else.
    The two concepts have nothing to do with one and other.

Do insults about sensors bother you?
    I don't like ignorant stereotypes of any variety.
    Considering a majority of the human population are Sensors, and there are so many on this site that claim to be intuitives, I can't help but think quite a few folks are wrong.
    Why do people make derogatory comments about others? Often times it is to cover up their own feelings of inadequacy.
    So, when people here make ignorant references specific to intuitives being superior to sensors, I simply take it as a free notification as to their ignorance.

Sensors have, at times, been treated as second-class citizens by the members of this (and sister) forums in relation to MBTI.
    I'd like to see how that would play out in real life.
    Excessive cyber confidence is rarely in concert with reality.
    It's easy to be rude and make derogatory comments over the anonymous cloud that is the Internet.
    But not nearly as easy to make such statements in the real world without getting a knuckle sandwich delivered to the jaw bone.

Do you think this attitude is unique to this forum? Or will it crop up whenever you get groups of iNtuitives?
    It is not unique to this forum, the same ignorance exists on other type specific fora.
    I've verbally adminished a few intuitves who tried to sling Sensor hate at me.
    It was quite funny to witness someone go from having a superiority complex to being speechless in a matter of minutes.
    I don't like reading people the riot act, but I'm awfully good at it, so I fill that need of the universe when it is made known to me.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro